Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265017 times)

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 01:45:02 pm »

I just hope the level scaling isn't as dramatic as it was in Oblivion. I didn't mind the game trying to adjust itself to make it a bit more difficult during late game, but when even the lowliest bandits have godlike armor and weapons, it is just ridiculous. I loved Oblivion and Morrowind alike, but it when it came to the transition from Morrowind to Oblivion, they seemed to dumb the series down a bit. Of course getting murdered by cliff racers in early game Morrowind was annoying, but after awhile it was nice to feel like a demigod capable of annihilating most common enemies. I really hope they don't make Elder Scrolls V simple or easy, but I'm guessing that from the financial success of Oblivion, this is unlikely. They seem to have a general trend to make games simpler and more accesible for the general populace, but for those who actually know how to play games, this kind of sucks.

Eh, regardless of what it turns out to be, I will almost certainly buying this game when it comes out. I am too much of an elder scrolls junkie to not :)  I really hope there i'm not busy when this comes out, because I am betting that I will pretty much be playing this game nonstop when it comes out.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »

I know what I'm putting on my wishlist for my 20th birthday.

Or just buying for myself, since that's the way things are trending. :V

RE: Oblivion's scaling, etc.

I played through Oblivion without mods, and it did get pretty annoying there at the end. I definitely like the way Bethesda did Fallout 3 over TES4, and I hope they do something similar in Skyrim.

That being a lot of interesting locales that are spread out enough to be fun to get to but close enough that you can still get to them in a reasonable amount of time. Most of the main quest in Fallout 3 was centered around one area (thus reducing travel time required to complete the main quest), while TES4 had you walking cross-country for hours.

While I don't exactly mind exploring, I do like my worlds to look like they're actually populated, and TES4's map struck me as more fitting for the map of an empire well into its decline.
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 02:28:17 pm »

Personally, I think the game should just slowly get more difficult through monsters, quests etc spawning the further along you get the main quest.

I mean, they had the PERFECT opportunity to do this in Oblivion and they completely dropped the ball.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 02:44:27 pm »

Great, Skyrim. Well, one step closer to Elsweyr...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

I just hope the level scaling isn't as dramatic as it was in Oblivion. I didn't mind the game trying to adjust itself to make it a bit more difficult during late game, but when even the lowliest bandits have godlike armor and weapons, it is just ridiculous. I loved Oblivion and Morrowind alike, but it when it came to the transition from Morrowind to Oblivion, they seemed to dumb the series down a bit. Of course getting murdered by cliff racers in early game Morrowind was annoying, but after awhile it was nice to feel like a demigod capable of annihilating most common enemies. I really hope they don't make Elder Scrolls V simple or easy, but I'm guessing that from the financial success of Oblivion, this is unlikely. They seem to have a general trend to make games simpler and more accesible for the general populace, but for those who actually know how to play games, this kind of sucks.

Eh, regardless of what it turns out to be, I will almost certainly buying this game when it comes out. I am too much of an elder scrolls junkie to not :)  I really hope there i'm not busy when this comes out, because I am betting that I will pretty much be playing this game nonstop when it comes out.

I was an Elder Scrolls Junkie until Oblivion came out and basically ignored/rewrote most of the lore.  Turning Cyrodiil from a rainforest into generic middle earth wannabe land just for the sake of making it more generic.  That and the hundreds of other individual issues which added up to make Oblivion pretty much the worst game ever to be widely popular.

Why is it that Peter Molyneux can say a bunch of really cool stuff and not deliver and then everyone things he's insane, but Todd Howard can say a bunch of really cool stuff, and not deliver, and everyone just pretends he did?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:49:11 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 02:59:58 pm »

I don't know about you, but with daggerfall patched and morrowind modded, I have 0 gamebreaking/annoying bugs.

Haha. I quit playing daggerfall (yes, patched) quite some distance into the main quest because of the gamebreaking and annoying bugs
Oh yeah. I remember quite a few of the bugs and I'm partially sure it was because of the knowledge of them I avoided getting fuxxored.

The dungeons aren't random afaik, just procedural. If you go to the same dungeon with 2 different characters, the dungeon will be the same. They're based on certain blocks and if you understand how the dungeons are generated, getting around them can become rather easy. I still wish most dungeons were smaller tho.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 03:06:00 pm »

I'm wondering how they'll pull off the return of the akaviri dragons. Didn't they all die?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 03:08:48 pm »

I'm wondering how they'll pull off the return of the akaviri dragons. Didn't they all die?
They're dragons. So you have the most common plots. Unhatched eggs that survived. Dragons don't really die. Dragons hibernate. Dragons turn into stone/whatever to hibernate. Dragons, no explanation given, they're that mighty.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 03:15:15 pm »

This game comes out so close to the release of Magna Mundi.  :(
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »

I think I found it. The leader of the akavir race ka-po-tun (the tiger-dragon people), managed to turn into a dragon, so he probably managed to teach his race how to. He said that when he destroyed the tsaeci(vampire snakes), he would invade Tamriel.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 03:21:55 pm »

RE: Oblivion's scaling, etc.

I played through Oblivion without mods, and it did get pretty annoying there at the end. I definitely like the way Bethesda did Fallout 3 over TES4, and I hope they do something similar in Skyrim.
FO3 did pretty much the same thing as Oblivion. It simply scaled the given area the first time you visited it and made it stay that way. And there was pretty much no reason to re-visit an area after stuff respawned there (unless you were adamant about not using fast-travel). It pretty much ended up the same as Oblivion - the higher level you are, the tougher the enemies you'll encounter in new areas.

I think New Vegas didn't go into level-scaling, but I'm not entirely sure.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 03:45:39 pm »

I think I found it. The leader of the akavir race ka-po-tun (the tiger-dragon people), managed to turn into a dragon, so he probably managed to teach his race how to. He said that when he destroyed the tsaeci(vampire snakes), he would invade Tamriel.
The reason he turned into a dragon is because he mantled (ie became, in a roundabout way) Akatosh. The rest of his people doing the same would be.. awkward.
Love, scriver~

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »

Kind of like everybody is Akatosh's alt?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 04:06:26 pm »

Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 04:08:58 pm »

http://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929

It is sad when that is actually the most information that has been revealed about the project.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 201