Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 264999 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »

Heh... If it follows the daggerfall->morrowind->oblivion progression we will have:

1 voice actor
1 type of armor
3 skills
4 spells
20 levels
2 miles² world
0 random quests
1.85e^87 bugs
28487 mods trying to fix the bugs and make the game playable

Sorry, the suggestion here that Oblivion has more bugs (and fewer voice actors??) than Daggerfall made me snort so hard I may have ruptured a blood vessel.

Regarding V, as long as it has werewolves I will be absolutely ecstatic.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »

From morrowind to oblivion, yes. Maybe not fewer voice actors, but the exact same voice actors. It was more of a jab at the increasing crappyness flowing into the elder scrolls series. I don't know about you, but with daggerfall patched and morrowind modded, I have 0 gamebreaking/annoying bugs. Oblivion made me facepalm way too much. But yup, more bugs, more mods trying to fix them. More mods trying to make the game playable as well. Oblivion was unplayable without level/progression mods.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 12:29:02 pm »

but with daggerfall patched and morrowind modded, I have 0 gamebreaking/annoying bugs.

Oblivion made me facepalm way too much. But yup, more bugs, more mods trying to fix them.

morrowind modded

I have 0 gamebreaking/annoying bugs.

You seem to be making a very simple mistake here.

The implementation of the level scaling system was terrible, I'll give you that. But the real question is, objectively speaking, is figuring out where all the good loot/rewards is in Morrowind any better?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 12:36:09 pm »

I, for one, welcome mods. You people may be wanting a fully fledged twelve-year-development-cycle RPG, but all I'm looking for is a canvas for modding. My Oblivion has peaked out at nearly a thousand separate .esp's running and it ran as slow as hell; regardless, it shows what I think of the series.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »

From morrowind to oblivion, yes. Maybe not fewer voice actors, but the exact same voice actors.
No, definitely fewer. In Morrowind, almost each race and gender had its own voice actor; I think the Nord/Orc and Khajit/Argonian pairs had the same actors. Oblivion only had three or four actors for the men(for ten races), and probably only two or three actresses for females, not counting special characters.

Other than that, I'm sick of people saying Oblivion was "unplayable" without modding. I played it through first time without mods(or even installing Kot9 or Shievering Isles, which the GotY version came with) just fine, and enjoyed it. Admittedly not as good as Morrowind was, but still worth getting. It's starting to seem like that every game has to be bigger and better than the last one, or it's automatically a piece of crap that shouldn't have existed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 12:37:01 pm »

I actually liked Oblivion to begin with, though the Deadly Reflexes mod was what made it awesome.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 12:45:07 pm »

Oblivion was fun, definitely. Just not special in any way, and far from memorable or great.
Love, scriver~

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 12:57:31 pm »

But the real question is, objectively speaking, is figuring out where all the good loot/rewards is in Morrowind any better?
Of course. But was it any more fun? Not really. The first main quest dungeon in daggerfall has you scratching your head trying to figure out how to get in without dying from falling into a damn well. I did dislike the way dungeons were formed in daggerfall, but honestly, they were more fun. The epic dungeons were indeed epic but the problem with dagger fall is that even your mom's tomb was epic. It lacked smaller dungeons to compensate. Even so, it was more entertaining.

Other than that, I'm sick of people saying Oblivion was "unplayable" without modding. I played it through first time without mods(or even installing Kot9 or Shievering Isles, which the GotY version came with) just fine, and enjoyed it. Admittedly not as good as Morrowind was, but still worth getting. It's starting to seem like that every game has to be bigger and better than the last one, or it's automatically a piece of crap that shouldn't have existed.
Same here. I played it without mods. God-like rats were annoying. When every tiny mice become god-rats in a game, it's unplayable to me. I want to bang my head against the desk. Same thing with those damn fleeing goblin-like critters in diablo2 that only changed color between chapter and became more and more painful but were the same crap... Headbang moment.

Plus the fact you could botch your stat increases and that you had to grind one skill or another to maximize your gain was game breaking and I remember counting the skill levels I had gained before going to sleep in game. That's ridiculous. Seriously, you don't release a game that is that fucked up internally.

I know I sound hateful, but I liked Oblivion. It's just the stupid little things that build up over time and over consecutive games. But when it comes down to it, I still have daggerfall in my computer and play it once in a while, unlike morrowind or oblivion. I've even tried to play morrowind again this year and simply couldn't. I booted up daggerfall instead and went explore an epic mom's tomb.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 12:59:34 pm »

Oblivion was pretty cool, but it had no personality. I hope this one will be more like Morrowind. Also, this. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Children_of_the_Sky

Heh... If it follows the daggerfall->morrowind->oblivion progression we will have:

1 voice actor
1 type of armor
3 skills
4 spells
20 levels
2 miles² world
0 random quests
1.85e^87 bugs
28487 mods trying to fix the bugs and make the game playable

You realize that Oblivion was quite a bit bigger than Morrowind, right? Something like six square miles larger?
[/post]

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 01:08:02 pm »

And yet, it was smaller. In fact, both maps are horribly scaled compared with the actual elder scrolls maps. The island morrowind takes place in is actually huge, but it was scaled. Same goes with oblivion. Oblivion, in terms of relative area is bigger, but it was scaled. In fact, the cities where you transition into them do not fit their respective areas in the outland map.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:54 pm »

Yes, the scaling was bad. Horrible, really.
[/post]

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 01:18:15 pm »

i hope for originality and character like that of morrowind and shivering isle, but i wont hold my breath.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 01:27:42 pm »

True. I remember seeing a screenshot where someone tried to place the actual model of the imperial city in the actual map without any adjustments... It looked hilarious... I also remember using an open cities mod, but it also felt somewhat strange, but it worked somewhat nice.

i hope for originality and character like that of morrowind and shivering isle, but i wont hold my breath.
I hope for complex gameplay and challenging things.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »

Apparently, according to Bethesta's twitter blog, they're using a "brand new engine", so no, its not gamebryo.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:33:25 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 01:32:21 pm »

I don't know about you, but with daggerfall patched and morrowind modded, I have 0 gamebreaking/annoying bugs.

Haha. I quit playing daggerfall (yes, patched) quite some distance into the main quest because of the gamebreaking and annoying bugs, which broke part of the main quest (one of the main quest lines completely broke: I finished it, it reset to an earlier state, and would not let me re-do it or anything), and because the ridiculously massive soulless dungeons were starting to annoy me. (For instance, failed a guild quest because I had only a couple days to find the Quest MacGuffin and kill all of a set of monsters who only appeared when you rested in a massive dungeon, and had no idea where it was in it, of course, and had to rest something like 30-50 times to get them all to appear and to survive the dungeon)

Daggerfall was Huge Randomly Generated Mazes And Generic Random Towns + Bugs For the Win. The quality most certainly did not go down from daggerfall to morrowind.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 201