Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 264958 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:21:18 am »

The new Elder Scrolls has been confirmed, it will be set in Skyrim. It looks to be a direct sequel to Oblivion and finally brings the Akavir dragons into the actual game by the looks of it

The teaser trailer says the release will be 11/11/11.

Trailer, may take a while to load.

TES Skyrim Gameinformer hub here, new info and stuff will generally be there.

New 24/2/11: In-game trailer footage

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:22:23 am by Cheese »

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:02:42 am »

Apparently it's going to be using the Gamebryo engine.  I'm conflicted about whether to go bleh since it's not terribly good, or YAY because it means there'll be awesome mods.  Also, release is supposed to be next November, I believe.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:23:16 am »

Well, Fallout 3, Morrowind and Oblivion all used the Gamebryo engine, so it can't be that bad. On another note this is my most eagerly awaited game yet!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:24:17 am »

Was I the only one hoping for Morrowind 2?

Norse culture is still better that the boring Imperial lands form Oblivion but to me Morrowind had the tastiest presentation style from all off the TES games and with modern graphics it would be breathtaking.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:26:29 am »

Well, Fallout 3, Morrowind and Oblivion all used the Gamebryo engine, so it can't be that bad. Is horribly outdated for modern uses
Fixed

Its about time for a new engine.

I'm seriously disappointed that they aren't moving to a different one

Hopefully it will largely updated and improved

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:22:39 am »

Norse culture is still better that the boring Imperial lands form Oblivion but to me Morrowind had the tastiest presentation style from all off the TES games and with modern graphics it would be breathtaking.
In my opinion, this really depends on how much Beth decided to use of what MK and his ilk wrote for them. I can easily see them turning the Nords into generic vikings, just as they turned Cyrodiil into generic Rome.

As for the game in general, I'm still cranky about Oblivion. I hope I will be able to greet Skyrim on it's own virtues, though, as contradictive as that may be. I also really hope they decided to pay for some real writers this time, so the story will at least be tolerable instead of boring.
Damned! There goes that bitterness again!
Love, scriver~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:33:49 am »

One of the potential problems with Skyrim as a location is that it exemplifies one of the overall issues with Bethesda's games - there's often a lot of space with very little actually going on in it. I trust some of us remember what Solstheim was like in Bloodmoon: Sure, it had points of interest. Most of it was pretty dull.

Although, there is one thing that I'd very much like to see Bethesda handle well...

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:11:26 am »

I'm looking forward to lots of small norse villages with little quests, just for exploring. And not a lot of identical abandoned forts/elven ruins.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:27:04 am »

seems interesting...but one question where was the home of the orcs again? I found those of the other races but it seems to me that the orcs are the only ones with no homeland...

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 10:31:01 am »

I think that the home of the Orcs was Vvardenfell Hammerfell. I'll check.

EDIT: It's Hammerfell.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:32:44 am by Omegastick »
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 10:34:23 am »

Good, can't wait

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 10:40:03 am »

i wish they would of picked black marsh instead but they probably would of done something stupid like turning it all into temperate grassland and forests because talos said so (and it's easier for a computer to generate)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 10:56:42 am »

In my opinion, this really depends on how much Beth decided to use of what MK and his ilk wrote for them. I can easily see them turning the Nords into generic vikings, just as they turned Cyrodiil into generic Rome.
It wasn't even generic Rome. It was generic Higher than Middle-Earth Fantasy.

Either way, I won't be holding my breath. There's little to no incentive to bump TES beyond the Oblivionic/FO3 formula considering how well those did financially. I'm just curious if they'll make up stuff like Radiant AI again.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 11:27:22 am »

Heh... If it follows the daggerfall->morrowind->oblivion progression we will have:

1 voice actor
1 type of armor
3 skills
4 spells
20 levels
2 miles² world
0 random quests
1.85e^87 bugs
28487 mods trying to fix the bugs and make the game playable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »

One of the potential problems with Skyrim as a location is that it exemplifies one of the overall issues with Bethesda's games - there's often a lot of space with very little actually going on in it. I trust some of us remember what Solstheim was like in Bloodmoon: Sure, it had points of interest. Most of it was pretty dull.

Although, there is one thing that I'd very much like to see Bethesda handle well...
Yeah, those vampires would be awesome. Even more so if they make it an "encounter" rather than a straight up quest, so people who don't know about them ice-reachers can be surprised when they're skittering over that frozen lake to save time... Would be awesome. Probably not happening that way, though.

It wasn't even generic Rome. It was generic Higher than Middle-Earth Fantasy.

Either way, I won't be holding my breath. There's little to no incentive to bump TES beyond the Oblivionic/FO3 formula considering how well those did financially. I'm just curious if they'll make up stuff like Radiant AI again.
You're absolutely right. It was Morrowind who made them into generic Romans. Or at least, according to a developer in an interview I read some weeks ago. Must've mixed them opinions up in my mind.
I'm a bit embarrassed, now. :(
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 201