Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265080 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2010, 10:24:26 pm »

Nobody believes the world is ending until it ends.

I just expected a bit more then "Ohh look... Oblivion gates with THE LEGIONS OF THE DAMNED. Wow your athletic!"

and the Legions of the damned doing more then "Quick we are finally losing after a long time of doing nothing. Lets open the Diablos Ex Machina gate!"

It is a very unepic storyline and actually quite boring and makes the world more boring by completing it.

Though that is Oblivion all over. Mage guild quests? Anti-Climax boss and a final reward less exciting and worth it then it would seem.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2010, 10:25:01 pm »

some guy: "hey look its Mehrunes Dagon."

other guy: "oh shit there goes Cyrodill."

creepy guy: "Hey guys we gots some new tits in the tavern!"

All: "TITS!!"

Well aint like you got work to do the next day anyway

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2010, 10:26:59 pm »

What are you talking about? Standing around in the same spot on the same time talking to a guy with the same voice as mine is not a job?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »

Well. I didn't feel the world was ending in Oblivion. If anything it was more like a localized screw up and a random dungeon to explore. At the first gate I was like, "Really? You guys are pathetic. The ruins near the prison I escaped from was harder than this."  and then when they were all like heeeero hero hero... I felt... "Hero? For what?"

It was that sad. :(

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2010, 10:44:07 pm »

Yes, an actual invasion would have been nice.  Rather then a bunch of evil-looking dungeon mini-hells appearing in random places and you being left to single-handedly deal with them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:45:42 pm by AntiAntiMatter »
[/post]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2010, 10:45:33 pm »

In all honesty, the guards at Kvatch were probably playing after sleeping a couple too many times on the highest difficulty. Those raptor-demons could kill dozens of them.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2010, 11:23:34 pm »

Higher levels Kvatch at least feels like a real invasion, what with the power of the Daedra scaling up way faster than that of the guards, although they certainly could've done more widespread destroying to make it feel more dramatic.
Shoes...

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2010, 11:52:53 pm »

Of course, there are still not enough fighters on either side to make it seem like a real battle, and this brings up the fact that Kvatch remains a burning ruin forever, (which I am amazed that no one else has brought up).
[/post]

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2010, 12:12:12 am »

What are you talking about? Standing around in the same spot on the same time talking to a guy with the same voice as mine is not a job?
I now want to become a voice actor for games just to see how it feels to run into an npc talking in my voice..

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2010, 01:30:24 am »

The end-boss combat of the mages' guild quest-line in Oblivion was hilariously bizarre in how one-sided the battle was, and how unprepared the boss was. Of course, it may have been different if you weren't a vampire, because this is what happened to me:

<Boss> "Paralyze! Paralyze! Paralyze! PARALYZE! WHY ISN'T IT WORKING!? PARALYZE!"
<Me> "Were you not paying attention or can you just not see in the dark? I'm a vampire. The eyes should've given it away. Completely immune to paralysis and all that. You're supposed to know all this stuff, being who you are, and should have been prepared. By the way, 'being prepared' also includes having some kind of enchanted suit to provide a shielding effect, or using a shielding spell or three..."
*enemy drops dead due to extremely sharp sword being applied to his head*
<Me> "That was rather too easy. I might have to take a trip to Solstheim to hunt some Werewolves for a proper challenge."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2010, 01:37:29 am »

I'd like to point out that the wizards staff could zap just about anything in a few blasts, that combined with conjuring daedroths and azura's star allowed you to easily refill it, just reserve a few blasts to take out the big lizard.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2010, 03:05:40 am »

The Mages Guild questline was definitely a letdown, especially considering the King of Worms is supposed to be the God of Death.  Maybe it was just some charismatic hedge wizard pretending to be the King.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2010, 03:10:58 am »

The Mages Guild questline was definitely a letdown, especially considering the King of Worms is supposed to be the God of Death.  Maybe it was just some charismatic hedge wizard pretending to be the King.

Not to mention when you ended up being the head of the guild almost nothing changed... you only got access to pathetic weaklings.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2010, 03:11:15 am »

I don't care how many square miles they claim Oblivion was, it was TINY. There just wasn't as much stuff and not as much variety and not as many places. I think there were fewer quests too. Leveled enemies wouldn't have bothered me that much if they hadn't of leveled loot as well. In Morrowind, treasures actually felt like, well, treasures, whereas in Oblivion I'd hold off gathering anything unique until it would be leveled as high as it goes. I loved the epic loot stashes you accumulated in Morrowind, but Oblivion never managed to strike that hoarder compulsion in me.

I hated the simplified spell system. A lot of people bitched about how in Morrowind you could ALWAYS miss with physical attacks if you sucked enough, and I didn't like that either. I did like that they fixed physical combat in Oblivion, but then they made spellcasting simpler and stupider as well. I damn near smashed my controller when I found out "You must be at least X level to cast this spell". If they left the original Morrowind magicka system alone, I'd consider Oblivion superior for combat and spellcasting.

They dumbed down and simplified armor and weapons in Oblivion. I don't care if some things like spears were pretty much unused in Morrowind, I'd sometimes play a spear focused Argonian with medium armor just because I can. All classes in Oblivion seemed to play too similar (Between now equally effective physical combat and magical combat, and fewer choices for each), I felt like I could get more character variety in Morrowind. And then they added "perks" for mastering certain skills, where by the time you mastered both light and heavy armor, both glass and daedric armor offered no difference in protective value or weight (Light gets +50% value to equal daedric, while heavy armor gets weight reduction). AUGHAUHSDIOAUHSDA! WHY EVEN BOTHER HAVING MULTIPLE CLASSES!?!?

Bartering and inventory windows in Morrowind were superior. Oblivion's was tailored and cut down for console.

I liked the bit of the new alchemy system that narrows down your ingredients to those that would actually have an effect. Saves some time (though I just memorized formulas in Morrowind).

I think text was superior to Oblivion's voice actors. It really limited how much and what they could say.

And of course I miss my master of alteration who could leap through half a dozen loading screens and slowfall at the last second. That crazy guy that falls to death right outside Seyda-Neen who was convinced leaping was the travel of the future? He was absolutely right, he just forgot the ring of slowfall.

I could go on forever about Morrowind Vs Oblivion and where Bethesda went wrong. In a nut shell, Morrowind's gameplay had some considerably more oldschool and hardcore D&D gameplay roots compared to Oblivion.

...Oh right, the new game. I won't even buy it unless it:
-Has as dizzying an array of available weapons and armor types AND unique accompanying skills. They don't even have to be perfectly balanced.
-Has the superflexible Morrowind spell system, but with Oblivion's quick cast. Visibly regenerating magicka is fine, just as long as it's slower than Oblivion's game balance breaking regen rate (Wizards are supposed to run out of spells. I shouldn't HAVE to play with the Antronatch make a magicka based character interesting to play. They might as well have given regenerating arrows to archers).
-Morrowind's bartering interface, or better.
-Oblivion's physical combat (and poisonable arrows, which actually made marksmen worthwhile besides the ranged sneak bonus).
-Keep the creature and loot leveling limited to random travel encounters when it's been peaceful for too long. Otherwise, I like to be surprised by significantly stronger and weaker encounters.
-Has jump, levitation, and of course slowfall spells.
-Is at least as diverse and it's points of interest as dense as Morrowind.
-Has more than one voice actor per gender per race.
-NPCs have as much to say as in Morrowind, regardless of the lines being spoken rather than read.
-Generic NPCs have more than three lines or dialog options.
-As many if not more named/artifact items as in Morrowind, and possibly a museum that collects them like in Tribunal.
-Piques the treasure hoarder within me.
-Significant support, story options, and unique stuff for Vampire and Werewolf characters.
-Significant support, story options, and unique stuff for each race, and gender.
-Enough sidequests that it's physically impossible to beat all of them like Morrowind came close to.
-More guild quests.
-etc
...I've actually run out of free time to post, but I have more stuff I could list. I need to corner a Bethesda employee at a bar and rant at him until he calls the police. My prediction? It will suck.

But it will probably look really really nice and control well on a gamepad.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:13:50 am by Ø »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2010, 03:18:03 am »

Morrowind's gameplay had some considerably more oldschool and hardcore D&D gameplay roots

You know... if Dungeons and dragons was what they were taking inspiration from.

Well ok... Storywise I see it.

Gameplay they originally took it from other sources, which took it from I believe Wizardry (unless Eye of the Beholder was first).

WHY EVEN BOTHER HAVING MULTIPLE CLASSES!?!?

Specifically classes were just presets of focused skills done to make it easier for some players. Those like me just picked the useful ones they liked.

Some had noticable waste of space skills in there... and I don't mean the "broken because you can circumvent it with a secret" like lockpicking but I didn't mind.

I hated how they did attributes though...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 201