Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265182 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #735 on: January 19, 2011, 12:26:53 pm »

omg and the dead mummyfied guy holding the crystal two-handed longsword MageBreaker, but the sword was covered in dust and only accessible if you fly or jumped insanely high up in a burial ground, and still had to notice you could take the sword?  God I miss all those special items and artifacts, the bloody level based artifact quests were just terrible.
Nom nom nom

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 19, 2011, 12:37:50 pm »

Wouldn't including gunpowder actually go against the lore? In the TES universe (should that 'the' be in there?) men and mer are devolving and becoming less powerful and knowledgeable with each generation. In the beginning all that existed was Anu and Padomay, but then the universe was created (a bunch of other stuff also happened that I missed out) and the Aedra were made. They split into Aedra and, slightly less powerful, Daedra before creating Aldmer. Aldmer devolved into the Ayleids and so on until we have the current races.

Therefore technology cannot advance, in fact in a few centuries it will start going back towards stone-age tech.
So where do the Dwemer fit into this? They had advanced tech, in a lot of ways even more advanced than what we have today (robots that function for thousands of years with no maintenance, anyone?).
The Dwemer disappeared around 1E 700, during the Lorkhan war. This was a long, long time ago and it is understandable that they would have more advanced technology.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 19, 2011, 12:43:46 pm »

Nah, I don't buy that. It's specifically mentioned quite a few times that the other races didn't have such tech and viewed the Dwemer with suspicion as a result. They were exceptionally advanced even for their time.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 19, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »

Yeah, they tended to experiment with science rather than magic but ended up technologically superior to everyone else. In the end they tried to transcend the mortal plane and whether it worked or not no one knows because they seem to have disappeared.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #739 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:54 pm »

Let's just all agree that when they had a god come down and TRANSFORM a unique tropical aztec dragon kingdom into Default Fantasy English Countryside #2,037,432, Bethesda demonstrated that they can't be trusted to respect their own setting.

That said, removing levitation is fair enough; for one thing, city walls make no sense at all when an appretince alchemist can take half a day and whip up a vat of potion that can levitate a whole army over it, and a good wizard can fly them all over with one spell, and a mere novice can turn a crate of old boots and rat souls into a permanently flying army. I would still prefer that levitation or flight be in, because it is extremely liberating, but some balance for that is needed, both to explain why people bother building anything with walls, and to keep players engaged with the actual terrain instead of taking straight-line courses everywhere.

Perhaps in addition to duration spells, there's "concentration" spells that you must keep expending magica to use and which exclue many other tasks. (Actually, that'd be neat for healing and shield spells, too.) Levitation could be very expensive, so expensive it would take a very, very high-level mage to cast a spell for more than few seconds without using concentration to make it last longer at the expense of not being able to use attacks while flying...

Dwemer were awesom. I say we have the next one be set in a dwemer moonbase on the far side of masser.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 19, 2011, 01:04:52 pm »

The Dwemeri combined Arcane and Mechanical to get their technology. They didn't want to believe in anybody else's gods and even tried to make their own (the Numidium), which was one of the reasons they were so hated. It would change the combat system too and I'm not sure how they'd implement a big, clumsy, slow to reload gun. I'm too tired to argue properly  >:(.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 19, 2011, 01:23:07 pm »

Wouldn't including gunpowder actually go against the lore? In the TES universe (should that 'the' be in there?) men and mer are devolving and becoming less powerful and knowledgeable with each generation. In the beginning all that existed was Anu and Padomay, but then the universe was created (a bunch of other stuff also happened that I missed out) and the Aedra were made. They split into Aedra and, slightly less powerful, Daedra before creating Aldmer. Aldmer devolved into the Ayleids and so on until we have the current races.

Therefore technology cannot advance, in fact in a few centuries it will start going back towards stone-age tech.
This is not true at all. The whole "degeneration" theory is just Altmer inferiority complex, paranoia and propaganda. While you might say the original spirits "degenerated" into men and mer and all the other living stuff (at least from the view point of mer-kind), there is no support for claiming that anything is degenerating, neither biologically, technologically or knowledge-in-generally.
Love, scriver~

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 19, 2011, 01:24:07 pm »

It isn't degenerating, just losing it's divine spark/connection or something like that. Once it runs out, the race produced is completely mortal.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 19, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »

I'm referring to the stuff about technology.

edit: Of course, no "spiritual degeneration" has occurred since the creation of the mortal plane and mundanification of the proto-Aedra either.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:36:13 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 19, 2011, 01:37:41 pm »

It isn't degenerating, just losing it's divine spark/connection or something like that. Once it runs out, the race produced is completely mortal.

That doesn't preclude techological development. Indeed, if the divine spark is connected to magic (which seems reasonable, given that the altmer make the best wizards), then its disappearance would force techology to step in and perform functions for which magic was used previously.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 19, 2011, 01:42:24 pm »

Saying that something shouldn't be done because it goes against the lore is pretty much meaningless at this point.  It's clear Bethesda doesn't give a flying crap about their lore anymore so we might was well benefit from it with some cool new technologies instead of just having everything be made more and more generic.

On the topic of spears, here's a console game Bethesda could learn from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWJX8lb66oA
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 19, 2011, 01:48:01 pm »

That doesn't preclude techological development. Indeed, if the divine spark is connected to magic (which seems reasonable, given that the altmer make the best wizards), then its disappearance would force techology to step in and perform functions for which magic was used previously.

I didn't say it does. I was replying to someone who was saying it was.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 19, 2011, 02:09:29 pm »

On the topic of spears, here's a console game Bethesda could learn from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWJX8lb66oA
No. Even as it stands, Elder Scrolls combat is better than something where you repeat a combo 400 times and beat down hundreds of random soldiers like they're nothing. Spears should be a weapon you'd want to use against single opponents that's bigger than yourself, not a horde of minor enemies.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 19, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »

They should take the combat from Dark Messiah and put it in Oblivion.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #749 on: January 19, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »

Actually, a sword and sandal sort of story could be interesting...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 201