Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265005 times)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #660 on: January 17, 2011, 05:50:15 pm »

When's it coming out again?
11-11-11
[/post]

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »

Fat chance. :P

Will you even notice the highly realistic NPC routines after a few hours?

Yes, because you'll be running all over the place wondering where the @#$% that NPC that you need to finish your current quest wandered off to.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:00:11 pm by Sordid »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »

El whoopsie. Double post.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 17, 2011, 07:12:50 pm »

Yes, because you'll be running all over the place wondering where the @#$% that NPC that you need to finish your current quest wandered off to.
That's strange. That actually encourages roleplaying and using your brain. That's contradictory to the direction Bethesda seems to be going. Ergo, the quest compass returns!
[/post]

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »

If Oblivion is any guide, he's walked off a bridge, fallen through a gap in the geometry and died.
... and then it explodes!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 17, 2011, 07:20:58 pm »

Hrm, that never happened to me.

Also, I hope they make NPCs run when they ought to. I hated following slow-ass NPCs in Oblivion, especially since they stop and wait for you when you get too far ahead. Don't remember if Morrowind did any better, mind. At the very least that's something that should be easy to fix.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2011, 07:26:04 pm »

Hrm, that never happened to me.

Also, I hope they make NPCs run when they ought to. I hated following slow-ass NPCs in Oblivion, especially since they stop and wait for you when you get too far ahead. Don't remember if Morrowind did any better, mind. At the very least that's something that should be easy to fix.

Oh... God... the followers in Morrowind... The Terror... THE TERROR! Anyone remember taking that woman to Ghost Gate... damn Cliff Racers...
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2011, 07:29:09 pm »

Bah, that's peanuts. Remember that useless level 1 slavegirl you were supposed to bring to the ashlander chief as a bride? Across half the damn map, and half of the way across water swarming with slaughterfish? You'd better have made a Waterwalk on Touch spell, or it's going to be a looooong trip punctuated by frequent quickloading.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:32:22 pm by Sordid »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 17, 2011, 07:41:20 pm »

Followers in Morrowind had this weird pheromone-based pathfinding, where they would mimic every step you make, every breath you take. So if you start writing your name in the sand then turn around, you'll see the NPC following you doing the exact same thing.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 17, 2011, 08:23:40 pm »

Followers in Morrowind had this weird pheromone-based pathfinding, where they would mimic every step you make, every breath you take. So if you start writing your name in the sand then turn around, you'll see the NPC following you doing the exact same thing.

I think I was to keep them from getting hung-up on rocks, walking off bridges, or stuff like that.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 17, 2011, 09:03:09 pm »

Well, my greatest desire for this game is that they have werewolves, and actually make an effort to integrate their system into the world. There's practically no good games out there where you can play as a werewolf, and Bloodmoon in Morrowind was by far the best... but it still ended up feeling pretty empty and meaningless once you finished the main quest in Bloodmoon. There's no NPCs you can interact with in any way related to your condition, and any NPC who sees you transform just makes the entire world insantly hate you.

I guess what I'm really hoping for is not just lycanthropy, but it having some impact on your game besides a skin-change and a stat boost. I want questlines, other werewolf NPCs who don't try to kill you, Werewolf-hunter NPCs that DO try to kill you, stuff like that. Maybe even a cool hideout.

I'll be able to forgive a lot of questionable design choices in the game if they come through on this one thing.
Maybe if you are good enough friends with some people, they won't attack you if they learn that you are that particular werewolf and pity you. Or if you keep your lycanthropy a secret, running around murdering people and livestock and someone finds you out, they'll hate you unless you can convince them otherwise.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 17, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »

http://www.ripten.com/2011/01/17/new-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-details-sam-n/

Some more stuff is in here. Mostly more details about the engine and quest system

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 18, 2011, 01:46:35 am »

That screenshot looks really really pretty, but that landscape's going to be a bitch to get around unless they put levitation back in.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2011, 03:10:59 am »

Quote from: article
The game will run on an all-new “Creation Engine,” which features focus on lighting, draw distance, foliage and realistic environmental and weather effects
Not on dialogue, story or characters, then? I guess any sort of actual content would be too much to hope for.

Quote from: Howard
If you swing your weapon near an NPC, knock items off their dinner table, or try to steal something of value, they’ll react with an appropriate level of hostility given their prior relationship to you.
Cue people turning into homicidal maniacs after you mistakenly knocked their broom to the ground.

Quote from: article
There are a wide variety of random encounters,” said design director Bruce Nesmith. “Many of them are things the player can interact with, some are not. You might save a priest who then tells you about a dungeon where there are people trapped that need saving. You might run across mammoth beset by a pack of wolves.
... ::)

“Traditionally in an assassination quest, we would pick someone of interest and have you assassinate them,” Howard says. “Now there is a template for an assassination mission and the game can conditionalize all the roles – where it happens, under what conditions does it take place, who wants someone assassinated, and who they want assassinated. All this can be generated based on where the character is, who he’s met. They can conditionalize that someone who you’ve done a quest for before wants someone assassinated, and the target could be someone with whom you’ve spent a lot of time before.”
Now this. This actually sounds promising. Almost got a little excited there (and we can't have that can we). I hope it works out and functions like it should.
Love, scriver~

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 18, 2011, 03:13:43 am »

Radiant Story is also smart enough to know which caves and dungeons you've already visited and thus conditionalize where, for instance, a kidnapped person is being held to direct you toward a specific place you haven't been to before, populated with a specific level of enemy. This helps Bethesda avoid repetition and usher the player into areas the team wants you to explore.

do not like.

If you're really good at a particular skill, like one-handed weapons or destruction spells, a stranger who knows of your reputation  may ask for training, challenge you to a duel, or beg you for a favor that will require you to show off your skill

do like. (but if the task was here to begin with and not created to suit you)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 201