Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265103 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #405 on: January 09, 2011, 01:22:25 am »

There is a distinct difference between being smart enough to learn and use magic, like most fantasy humanoid wizards and warlocks and whatnot, and just being innately magical with no correlation to intelligence.

Since a dragon would need magic just to perform basic dragon-related functions, and the prevalence of dragon blood/horn/scale/hide/fire/muscle/bone/eggs being used as magical reagents, it would be safe to assume that they don't go to some sort of magic academy to learn how to fly or breathe fire or stop their bodies from collapsing under their own weight.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 09, 2011, 01:32:16 am »

There is a distinct difference between being smart enough to learn and use magic (...) and just being innately magical with no correlation to intelligence.

What, you mean like the Oblivion (and probably Skyrim) protagonist?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 09, 2011, 03:49:19 am »

Hey guys, stop getting off topic!  We aren't here to argue about the legitimacy of people's varying tastes in relation to the representation of dragons we're here to discuss how much Skyrim is going to suck!

Wow, is it 2006 in here? Because I swear it's like reading Oblivion's early hype.

Bethesda, the company that shamelessly does what they've done before even when it hasn't worked.

They fact they haven't re-dubbed the Radiant system as something else just kind of reinforces that.

Still, who isn't looking forward to finding random dead people in the city and not caring why they got there?

That's not true.  The made tons of money therefore they succeeded.  That was the whole point of everything they did with Oblivion in the first place.  Huge mass appeal, huge sales, huge profit, huge success.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:51:12 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 09, 2011, 04:30:36 am »

Sounds good. I don't like the return of level-scaling, though, nor do I like the idea of random-quests much.

What the....

What forums do you think your on!?!

Were on the bay12 forums for godsakes >_<

On another note

Despite the fact it may have lied about some features and probley will in skyrim the point remaisn it will still BE A GOOD GAME, And completely worth any money you sink in for it...
Personally im going for the consol game due to the fact haveing it on a computer sounds like a lag fest unless you have a higher end -EVERYTHING-
Also, Can we all agree what ever game made by bethseda is worth the money.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:43:06 am by Javarock »
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 09, 2011, 04:41:02 am »

I can't.  I thought Oblivion was worth something less that ten dollars from the enjoyment I got out of it, and I paid 60.

And I would never get a Bethesda game for a console ever.  As bad as their modern games have been, at least they still allow you to fix them.  The consoles don't get any of that even thought they're now the primary platform.

Also, we're not on the bay12 forums for Dwarf Fortress, we're on the Bay 12 forums for every game that isn't Dwarf Fortress (and the other games bay12 has made)!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:40 am »

I really have no problem with the portrayal of huge unrealistic dragons, I mean, we are talking about fantasy, right?  If people can shoot fire from their hands then who's to say a dragon isn't using magic to fly.  What I do have a problem with, is when these dragons aren't intelligent, if they are smart enough to use magic they better damn well be smart enough to realize they get more out of controlling a town than just burning it to a crisp.

That's my personal taste, though, I like dragons that can talk, strategize, maybe they can even change into a human form.  Obviously though, this is pretty far from the fantasy norm, dragons are obviously big flying brutes that enjoy nothing but destroying things.
This is my big problem with how dragons are used. Always the big dumb scary monster thing. If they are smart enough to use magic, why would they just burn down a village, and why aren't there more good ones? They're always the "pet" of the main villain, but almost never a main villain themselves, and they're almost never NOT evil anyway. The problem with dragons is not so much the physical characteristics as the use of them as a plot device rather than characters.

Changing into a human form is just kind of silly, but I agree with the rest of that.

I think the dragons are burning towns to a crisp because they want to destroy Nirn/The mortal plane to be released from mortality and reconnected to the divine, like the elves.. Perhaps the are being driven along, mindlessly, by Alduin.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 09, 2011, 07:23:21 am »

Okay, I'll admit most people don't like the idea of dragons having human forms, I'm somewhat of a furry myself (What can I say?  I think anthropomorphism is neat.) so dragon humans are cool in my opinion.

As for why they would have wings, there are explanations, maybe it takes way less energy to use a feather spell than a levitation spell, so they make themselves light enough that the wings are capable of lifting them.

Mostly I think, like CrownofFire, that the main problem is that they are used as plot devices rather than characters...

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 09, 2011, 07:26:39 am »

I would love if they made duel wielding possible.
You would be able to wield magic and sword,shield and sword,sword and sword and magic and magic
That would make the combat complex though

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 09, 2011, 07:29:26 am »

you say that like it's a bad thing

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 09, 2011, 07:40:29 am »

You would be able to wield magic and sword,shield and sword,sword and sword and magic and magic
But can you dual wield dual wields, so that you can dual wield dual wielded bows?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 09, 2011, 07:50:38 am »

So I'm not allowed to use a bow and magic?  Meh  :-\

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 09, 2011, 08:31:41 am »

Quote from: Michael Kirkbride
www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-michael-kirkbride

On the different time-dragons

Don't forget that gods can be shaped by the mythopoeic forces of the mantlers-- so Tosh Raka could be an Akaviri avatar of Akatosh with a grudge against his mirror-brother in Cyrodiil.

Just like Akatosh-as-we-usually-know-him could time-scheme against his mirror-brother of the Nords, Alduin, to keep the present kalpa-- perhaps his favorite-- from being eaten.

Notice all the coulds.

This could be relevant to TES V: Skyrim...
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 09, 2011, 09:16:52 am »

Also;

To kill Man is to reach Heaven, from where we came before the Doom Drum's iniquity. When we accomplish this, we can escape the mockery and long shame of the Material Prison.

To achieve this goal, we must:

1) Erase the Upstart Talos from the mythic. His presence fortifies the Wheel of the Convention, and binds our souls to this plane.

2) Remove Man not just from the world, but from the Pattern of Possibility, so that the very idea of them can be forgotten and thereby never again repeated.

3) With Talos and the Sons of Talos removed, the Dragon will become ours to unbind. The world of mortals will be over. The Dragon will uncoil his hold on the stagnancy of linear time and move as Free Serpent again, moving through the Aether without measure or burden, spilling time along the innumerable roads we once travelled. And with that we will regain the mantle of the imperishable spirit.

The Ysmir line is dead and so is His stranglehold on the mythic.

So the Akavir would save Tamriel? It would be interesting to see the Akavir help re-make the Empire and defeat Alduin/The Elves.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 09, 2011, 09:56:44 am »

But can you dual wield dual wields, so that you can dual wield dual wielded bows?
And take the ability to fire three arrows at once, which applies to each bow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 09, 2011, 10:09:53 am »

you say that like it's a bad thing

As far as Bethesda complex is a bad thing.  Evert single TES game after Daggerfall has been simpler than the last.  Why would they add more complexity and ruin their streak?

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 201