Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265611 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2595 on: August 04, 2011, 03:20:36 pm »

Not intended to be insulting, but you show me a game developer that makes every tree individually,in a game world of this size and I will show you a bunch people with deep mental issues or far too much time and money.

none insult taken, maybe i should have been more clear. i understand trees are pre-renderedbut there "is" variety among the five/six trees taken, and maybe they are placed in such a way that they look different (like, turned of 78 degrees or similar)

The trees in Oblivion are all procedurally generated using SpeedTree...
And they all look horribly samey. Whatever branch geometry it might be generating, it's all covered by a dreadful looking canopy. The only really visible difference between various trees is the type of texture used for the leaves and bark.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 04, 2011, 03:29:19 pm »

I don't know why we're talking about this in the Skyrim thread, but there's basically no way I can resist joining in. :)

But it's still wrong according to the license, and it's also full of ****. I hate copyright laws these days, they are so wrong.

You won't be violating copyright law. Depending on where you live, borrowing video games could very well be explicitly allowed under Fair Use. You will be violating the end user license agreement. You have most likely not read the EULA, or consciously accepted it, which is all fine and good, as those things have never been successfully enforced in court, and probably never will be. There are requirements a contract must fulfill to have legal value.

If you make a business out of renting video games, though, you probably should get a proper license for it. Making money with someone else's intellectual property is generally not protected by Fair Use, and if you're making a lot of money, it might actually be economically sound for someone to sue you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 04, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »

If XBox 360 games come with an EULA, I've never noticed it and was never asked to accept it, so I would tend to doubt that it could stand up in court.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 04, 2011, 04:21:53 pm »

To be honest, I noticed several flaws with Oblivion, but the variety of tree species was not one of the ones I complained about.

That's going so far beyond whining it's not even funny.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2599 on: August 04, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »

To be honest, I noticed several flaws with Oblivion, but the variety of tree species was not one of the ones I complained about.

That's going so far beyond whining it's not even funny.

now now, i think there's a misunderstanding.
it's not whining about a game.
the fact was about fast travel yes/no.
and as a Pro for fast travel, i said that, in the event of a boring background, scenery which seems copy-pasted every so-so meters fast travel should be used, because while it covers a flaw of the developper, who lessened the time in artistic scenery, he did so to increase the time on something else. i wouldn't care less about wherever or not trees are identical, or not, or similar. i'd complain if i were to see slaughterfishes spawning in the sky for a bug glitch or similar.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 04, 2011, 06:20:04 pm »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:57:26 pm by Jehdin »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 04, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »

Digging a review that has nothing to do with dragons. They do look cool but I am more interested in the underlying mechanics. I do wish to see these animations though.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: August 05, 2011, 07:39:09 am »

I am... less than pleased with this $60 release pricepoint.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 05, 2011, 07:51:45 am »

Yes, less than pleased with $60, which most full games, and some expansion packs, sell at now. That makes perfect sense.
Just wait until it's in the bargin bin, patches and mods will be out and it will be cheaper.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:00 am »

Yes, less than pleased with $60, which most full games, and some expansion packs, sell at now. That makes perfect sense.
That's funny because all the fairly recent releases I got were considerably cheaper. I ain't sure how prices between countries translate, but here I got new stuff for 45 bucks or less. At most it was like 47 for Portal 2 or something. But Dead Rising 2, Two Worlds 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and The Witcher 2 I got for like 35-40 when they were just released.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:16:57 am by Virtz »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:36 pm »

Fast travel was there because travelling is very boring. Cyrodiil looks all the same but Vvardenfell doesn't. I tried not to use fast travel to take fun in travelling between cities like in Morrowind but truth is travelling at Oblivion is nothing more than a pain in the ass. This fast travel system is one of the biggest reasons why I think Oblivion is better as an action game, not a RPG. You shouldn't play it like a RPG. I mean, you can't even get tired by running...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: August 05, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »

Just wait until it's in the bargin bin, patches and mods will be out and it will be cheaper.

It's 90 dollars here and our currency is currently stronger than the USD.
Price gouging at it's best!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2607 on: August 05, 2011, 12:32:39 pm »

It's 90 dollars here and our currency is currently stronger than the USD.
Price gouging at it's best!
I'll ship you one for 60 USD plus a small fee. :P

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:06 pm »

Generous of you but I think I'd rather just bitch about the game rather than do anything about it.
It's the Gamer way!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 201