Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 266255 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #2220 on: June 10, 2011, 12:12:56 am »

Ok, now, officially TES saga is dead to me. It ended with Oblivion (and got it highest peak with morrowind).

An engine developed for consoles and ported for pc -> no mods
*derpface*

Oblivion was developed for consoles and ported for PC.
Skyrim uses a new generation of the Oblivion engine.
I don't...  what.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 10, 2011, 12:18:08 am »

Ok, now, officially TES saga is dead to me. It ended with Oblivion (and got it highest peak with morrowind).

An engine developed for consoles and ported for pc -> no mods
*derpface*

Oblivion was developed for consoles and ported for PC.
Skyrim uses a new generation of the Oblivion engine.
I don't...  what.
I've given up pointing this out to them, they just want a reason to complain.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:14 am »

To be fair... the TES games have been mainly hack & slash. I think Morrowind had more peaceful quests than any of the others. But still, if you look back, most of the time you were probably wailing on baddies (or shopkeepers.)

And this time around we have actual trade skills. We've yet to see how full-featured they are, or aren't, but it's more than we've had in vanilla before.

You are so wrong that I laugh loudly at your post.
I am guessing you never completed morrowind or even did any thief or dark brotherhood quest in oblivion.
Also, we had trade skills since daggerfall. They were known as mercantile.
Is it just me or Skyrim is attracting more people who don't know a damn about the series?

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 10, 2011, 12:51:21 am »

To be fair... the TES games have been mainly hack & slash. I think Morrowind had more peaceful quests than any of the others. But still, if you look back, most of the time you were probably wailing on baddies (or shopkeepers.)

And this time around we have actual trade skills. We've yet to see how full-featured they are, or aren't, but it's more than we've had in vanilla before.

You are so wrong that I laugh loudly at your post.
I am guessing you never completed morrowind or even did any thief or dark brotherhood quest in oblivion.
Also, we had trade skills since daggerfall. They were known as mercantile.
Is it just me or Skyrim is attracting more people who don't know a damn about the series?

You are so dumb that I weep for humanity.
I've completed both Morrowind and Oblivion. Fact is, those quests don't take that much time in comparison to how much time you spend fighting things.
By trade skill, I meant crafting skill, like smithing, which is new in Skyrim. No, armorer doesn't count.
Is it just me or is this thread attracting more people who are absolute douchenozzles?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:58:27 am by Jehdin »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2224 on: June 10, 2011, 01:01:15 am »

This thread could use a locking is what I say.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 10, 2011, 01:14:31 am »

My little saying that I tend to go with when playing any game: If you think of all the things that will be bad in a game, then you will miss all of the good parts.

Yes, and since the game will have the construction set, most of the bad things can be fixed, unlike basically all of the other console-to-PC ports out there.

Although, I do hate needing tons of mods to fix the game up. Typically results in instability and headaches.

So I'm really hoping this game is way better than Oblivion by default. Would be nice to only need mods to add extra content and fix the UI (If it's the same as the terrible 360 UI we've seen) rather than huge unofficial patches and complete game overhauls.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 10, 2011, 01:18:01 am »

Ok, so I apologise for blindly saying the no mods for being a port. I was misinformed about the construction set.

My little saying that I tend to go with when playing any game: If you think of all the things that will be bad in a game, then you will miss all of the good parts.

I agree, in fact I acknowledge the game will be very good... on its own. My complains were more like, not about the bad, but about the missing. Stuff im going to miss from earlier TES games.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: June 10, 2011, 01:29:53 am »

You are so dumb that I weep for humanity.
I've completed both Morrowind and Oblivion. Fact is, those quests don't take that much time in comparison to how much time you spend fighting things.
By trade skill, I meant crafting skill, like smithing, which is new in Skyrim. No, armorer doesn't count.
Is it just me or is this thread attracting more people who are absolute douchenozzles?

You shitting me right?
Thief guild quests take longer to complete if you are going the stealthy way. And did you really expect persuasion involved in quests handed out by fighters guild?
TES series has been a lot more different than "hack and slash". So this means your argument is still invalid.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: June 10, 2011, 01:44:47 am »

All TES games are all action rpg. The action is always the focus of the game. Even when they pretend there are other things to do, it often comes down to fighting people during or at the end of such quests.
This is not a bad thing. I don't plat TES for the rpg experience, and that little pretense of non-action content is enough for me in context. But there's no point in denying that action and combat is the heart and centre of these games.
Love, scriver~

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: June 10, 2011, 01:49:19 am »

But you have to agree that trying to be a mage in oblivion is almost suicidal. You are almost forced to use shield & sword in fights. Magic is basically a suport for your melee/archery

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: June 10, 2011, 01:52:37 am »

Almost suicidal, if you are stealthy, heavily-armored, or have a crazy awesome spell list from the beginning you'll do fine!
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: June 10, 2011, 02:00:10 am »

I've never been a fan of the magic system in the TES series, never liked the idea of buying spells. Plus there's the whole thing about each spell having a fixed output and needing replaced at some point.  ::)

Hoping Skyrim's will be more worthwhile, certainly looks nicer.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: June 10, 2011, 02:10:12 am »

I actually liked the TES magic system more than other RPGs, in the fact you can make customised spells, mixing various kind of effects. The fact you have to buy them is kinda bad, yes, but I think it is a workaround for having the custom spell system.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: June 10, 2011, 03:15:07 am »

I've never been a fan of the magic system in the TES series, never liked the idea of buying spells. Plus there's the whole thing about each spell having a fixed output and needing replaced at some point.  ::)

I think Bethsoft fucked the magic system up in MW and Oblivion. It was perfect in Daggerfall. Spells could have a leveled component, so even a basic 1+1/level spell remained useful as you leveled up. You could also cast any spell at eny skill level as long as you had the mana for it. What skill did was bring the casting cost down.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: June 10, 2011, 03:26:35 am »

I think Bethsoft fucked the magic system up in MW and Oblivion. It was perfect in Daggerfall. Spells could have a leveled component, so even a basic 1+1/level spell remained useful as you leveled up. You could also cast any spell at eny skill level as long as you had the mana for it. What skill did was bring the casting cost down.

Interesting, I didn't know Daggerfall was any different, never played it, but I've seen a fair bit of gameplay. Guess I wasn't really paying attention to the magic system.

Also, RPS has a Skyrim E3 article up. Mainly a recap of things we already know, though.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 201