Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265820 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1560 on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:59 am »

I'd play Moonrim to DEATH. It'd probably be Dwemer, or magically portalized.

The dwarves disappeared because Kagrenac transported them to the future. And now they all live in a moonbase.

Alternatively: Divayth Fyr clones the dwemer race back from the last surviving dwarf. Just because he can.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:44 am »

We would all play a game where you were a clone of an extinct dwarven race in the future where Divayth Fyr has made you to help defend his orbital wizard station from other orbital wizard stations with space steam automata.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 14, 2011, 12:12:56 pm »

Oh my god, yes.

When that game comes out, it will be the last game I will ever need to play.

Tamriel is supposed to have all sorts of weres besides werewolves. I recall a book in Daggerfall mentioning something like wereavians, among other things. You even got to actually fight wereboars.

Actually, I remember one of the big lore-heavy World-Expansion projects for Oblivion (part of the whole Silgrad Tower thing) where they had concept art of all the cannonically mentioned were-critters, and where to find them in the world.

Speaking of which, I'm kinda hoping to see how the fan-made Skyrim-in-Oblivion project (based on old TES lore) and the new one by Bethesda, stack up against one another.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:16:43 pm by Solifuge »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1563 on: February 14, 2011, 12:22:12 pm »

The answer to that is yes.

I would imagine that the exact language could change- It's an artificial sphere on Nirn created as a habitat in Oblivion, colloquially an Artifice. The principle was put forward by the Dwemer. When they began a resurgence following the return of a party of Dwemer trapped in a timeless realm of oblivion, they set about construction of an Artifice as a new home.

It'd be interesting to see what dwarven construction looks like new.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 14, 2011, 12:42:51 pm »

Masser (I think that's the large one) probably has an atmosphere. It could pretty easily be earth-sized. You could even have lunar vegitation that gives it the red hue...

The problem with that is that the two moons used to be like Nirn, functioning planets/realms, but they lived out their lifespan and are now dead worlds. Also, they are incredibly unstable, when you see the moons fading in the games that doesn't work like in real life, due to the fact that nothing orbits the sun. Everything is stationary in the Aether, so there must be some other explanation for the moon cycles in TES. The answer is that they actually wither away and disappear as the spin, we can see this because the 'stars' are visible behind the withered area.

Living there would be completely infeasible because everything there is dead, and every two weeks or so everything completely disappears.

(I can't reference you to anything in the following paragraph, by the way) There's also the problem of getting there, seeing as you can't simply travel up until you hit it. Masser is a completely separate realm of infinite size, it is only visible as a limited size because of the restrictions of the mortal realm.

Pretty much everything I've said applies to Secunda as well.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 14, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »

Masser (I think that's the large one) probably has an atmosphere. It could pretty easily be earth-sized. You could even have lunar vegitation that gives it the red hue...

The problem with that is that the two moons used to be like Nirn, functioning planets/realms, but they lived out their lifespan and are now dead worlds. Also, they are incredibly unstable, when you see the moons fading in the games that doesn't work like in real life, due to the fact that nothing orbits the sun. Everything is stationary in the Aether, so there must be some other explanation for the moon cycles in TES. The answer is that they actually wither away and disappear as the spin, we can see this because the 'stars' are visible behind the withered area.
Last I checked, they were the remains of Lorkhan's "body". Where did you read that about them being like Nirn? I can't remember anything suggesting such-like.

(I can't reference you to anything in the following paragraph, by the way) There's also the problem of getting there, seeing as you can't simply travel up until you hit it. Masser is a completely separate realm of infinite size, it is only visible as a limited size because of the restrictions of the mortal realm.
All you need to to travel trough infinite space is infinite fuel. Both the "Sun-Birds of Alinor" and the Imperial Mananauts have travelled through Oblivon. It's reaching Aetherius that's the big problem. ;)
Love, scriver~

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 14, 2011, 02:17:10 pm »

We've got a terrific variety of flora here on earth. How about some hardwood forests?  Or maybe you could model your pine trees after some real pine trees, and we could at least get some variation to the trees.  Or we could do some taiga, or some nice rolling hills, or some tundra, or some eroded badlands, or a real desert, how about a genuinely tropical rainforest, or some real swamps?

It all comes down to laziness again. Modelling your trees based on real trees would require doing research, and that's work.

Last I checked, they were the remains of Lorkhan's "body". Where did you read that about them being like Nirn? I can't remember anything suggesting such-like.

Also, where are you getting the idea that everything in the Aether is stationary?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 14, 2011, 02:43:42 pm »

Also, where are you getting the idea that everything in the Aether is stationary?

They (the two moons) may also be the two halves the two halves of Lorkhan's 'Flesh Divinity', but they were also functioning planes  (such as Nirn).

Everything (unless it is propelled by some supernatural force) must be stationary to an extent. Everything isn't completely static, but in relation to everything else there is very little movement, if any at all, due to the fact that the only thing with real mass is Nirn (everything else is either a portal to Oblivion or a different realm altogether).

References are: http://www.imperial-library.info/content/cosmology (That was written by one of the devs on the forum)
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Masser (Although that site doesn't many references to in-game texts or dev writings I've found it to rarely be wrong on matters that I have searched the game for myself).
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 14, 2011, 02:56:37 pm »

Living there would be completely infeasible because everything there is dead, and every two weeks or so everything completely disappears.

Pretty much everything I've said applies to Secunda as well.

Is this really any less feasible than realistic space travel would be? A huge, lifeless sphere of rock four hundred thousand kilometers away. There's no atmosphere, surface temperatures vary like crazy, solar flares occasionally bathe everything in deadly radiation. And you're going to go there, by strapping a little metal pod on an explosive device several times the lenght of Morrowind's draw distance.

You need to stop thinking of things as "possible" and "impossible". Building a permanent base on a dead, desolate moon that cannot be reached by any means and isn't there half of the time is going to be difficult, yes. We are choosing to do it, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 14, 2011, 03:16:59 pm »

They (the two moons) may also be the two halves the two halves of Lorkhan's 'Flesh Divinity', but they were also functioning planes  (such as Nirn).
Aaah, I think I get what you mean: I believe I misunderstood you earlier because I thought that when you said that they "used to be like Nirn" I assumed you meant "earth-like" (for a lack of better wording), with nature and growth and wildlife and that sort of thing. For a moment there I also thought you could have been talking about them as leftovers from the previous kalpa. My mistake.
As to the "Lorkhans 'body'" part of it, I'd just like to add that all planes are the "bodies" of their creators, be it the Daedric Realms or Mundus/Nirn. Though I guess you might already know that. :)
Love, scriver~

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 14, 2011, 03:19:33 pm »

I'm just stating how incredibly infeasible it is without breaking out the 'magic did it' card. It's a physically inaccessible realm that lies outside the mortal realm and disappears entirely every two weeks. It's also possible that it follows a completely different set of laws of physics, seeing as there is no reason for it to follow ours.

We also do not know why it is dying, it could be because there is a magical force that is physically eating the planet and depositing it in Oblivion or it could be that the planet is simply outliving it's lifespan and conditions are so inhospitable that even reality itself is being torn apart.

Either way, it's way more complicated than making a trip to a rock floating in space. First you've got to travel an infinite distance to the planet, then you've got to somehow switch realities, then you must survive in the inhospitable conditions, then, after a few days, you will disappear.

Aaah, I think I get what you mean: I believe I misunderstood you earlier because I thought that when you said that they "used to be like Nirn" I assumed you meant "earth-like" (for a lack of better wording), with nature and growth and wildlife and that sort of thing. For a moment there I also thought you could have been talking about them as leftovers from the previous kalpa. My mistake.
As to the "Lorkhans 'body'" part of it, I'd just like to add that all planes are the "bodies" of their creators, be it the Daedric Realms or Mundus/Nirn. Though I guess you might already know that. :)

Yeah, I was just giving Nirn as an example, all the other plane(t)s would also work as examples.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 14, 2011, 03:32:41 pm »

Either way, it's way more complicated than making a trip to a rock floating in space. First you've got to travel an infinite distance to the planet, then you've got to somehow switch realities, then you must survive in the inhospitable conditions, then, after a few days, you will disappear

Getting there is the only hard bit, switching realities can be handily done with daedric magic as Mehrunes Dagon showed us, surviving inhospitable conditions is a cakewalk. Barriers of alteration magic hold in air, massive arbors recycle ocygen and provide some food, that sort of thing. As to the disappearing every once in a while -And here is the genius bit- mark and recall the entire damn city.

"But you can't make the city mark and recall, that only works with critters!"

Make the city a biological contruct, drawn on its energy to power the barriers and do the teleportation. If you get it right the city itself could recycle the Co2. Feed it with goblins and cliffracers.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1572 on: February 14, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »

Hey.

It's OK.

We can always write new Lore. The fact is that a dwemer moonbase would be awesome. Granted, a time-traveling tobacco-maniac part-robot detective with a machine gun for an arm* would also be awesome but not fitting to the story, but there's a difference between out of theme and merely inconvenient to the current background.

I maintain that it should be possible to make this work. For one thing, what we know about the gameworld is largely from internal books, written by failable scholars and sages. It could be that the universe is rather more normal than books seem to think. Now, the moons do seem to waste away, but perhaps some stars are actually between the planet and the moons? Perhaps they are too dim to see when lit from behind by the moons, but bright enough to see over the dark faces. Perhaps there are other explanations for these various phenomenon, which ultimately allows our spaceflight to work.

One neat thing would be surface regions of the map that are uninhabitable, and if you wander up there without the right spells or equipment, you could freeze or suffocate. Which would make it hard to fight the Moondragons.

*Chronomorphic cigar-chomping criminologist cyborg, carrying chaingun.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 14, 2011, 04:06:19 pm »

I maintain that it should be possible to make this work. For one thing, what we know about the gameworld is largely from internal books, written by failable scholars and sages. It could be that the universe is rather more normal than books seem to think. Now, the moons do seem to waste away, but perhaps some stars are actually between the planet and the moons? Perhaps they are too dim to see when lit from behind by the moons, but bright enough to see over the dark faces. Perhaps there are other explanations for these various phenomenon, which ultimately allows our spaceflight to work.
Nope, not possible, I'm afraid. The stars and the sun are all holes in Oblivion (to Aetherius) made when the et'Ada realised what Lorkhan had planned for them, and subsequently tried to escape. They're all equally (infinitely) far away from Nirn. Their size (i.e., why the sun is larger) depends on the "power" of the et'Ada in question. The sun, for example, is the hole made by Magnus, the "architect" of the world.

Hey.

It's OK.

We can always write new Lore. The fact is that a dwemer moonbase would be awesome. Granted, a time-traveling tobacco-maniac part-robot detective with a machine gun for an arm* would also be awesome but not fitting to the story, but there's a difference between out of theme and merely inconvenient to the current background.
While such things are fun to speculate upon and imagine, I would absolutely hate to see something like that confirmed ingame/lore. While there are many "sci-fi" elements in TES, this would just be too much. It would also cheapen the Dwemer a lot, especially if they were still alive in it.
In my opinion, of course.

..By the way, did you know Pelinal was basically what amounts to a time-travelling Terminator with a laser gun for an arm/hand?
Love, scriver~

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 14, 2011, 04:11:54 pm »

Telvanni spacetower, made form a massive plant made to survive harsh conditions and sealed with magic and engineered Dwemmer technology and floating thanks to the soul of a false god.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 201