Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265248 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2010, 03:17:58 pm »

(in the other topic people were talking about how large the game world was, but that topic is old and should be buried, I think)

One of the reasons the Oblivion world felt so small was because you could use horses for faster transportation, and you could fast travel to and from just about anywhere as long as you have uncovered the place on your world map (and your GPS compass thing automatically points out places you haven't been yet)

There was one single time, I think, where I actually discovered something. It's in a place in the southern part (but not to the east where it sort of has a peninsula that goes south) where there's no compass pointing to it, but there's some ruined houses. Unfortunately there' isn't anything interesting there. Maybe it's used in a quest? I don't know.
I think that the main quest should not be designed so that you are inextricably bound to it by the time you finish the tutorial, which it should be separate from. You should have to look to find it (though not too hard).
I like this idea, though maybe the NPC's should help lead you towards the main quest through hints, maybe after a few game days.

Though, they will probably have all hell break loose at the start so it's obvious where you need to go...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2010, 03:20:53 pm »

I think that the main quest should not be designed so that you are inextricably bound to it by the time you finish the tutorial, which it should be separate from. You should have to look to find it (though not too hard).

Pretty much this. I wish the game wouldn't grab your hand and scream YOU'RE THE DESTINED ONE YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL HERE FIND THIS PERSON AND SEEK YOUR DESTINY ARGUE BARGLE. The main plot could happen independently from you, and you could have the choice of participating or not. If you did not, things could escalate badly, or another hero could show up, or you could join the other side and step on everyone's necks, etc.

Another thing that was already mentioned would be improved combat. The combat so far in all elder scrolls games has been boring as hell, even in oblivion you just swinged your sword at something till they died. They could use a system sort of like fallout 3's vats, applied to melee attacks, and without the pausing. Like, hitting a leg with a huge ass warhammer could cause it to break, cutting someone's hand could cause their weapon to drop, hitting someone's head could cause them to go uncouncious, etc. Also, they could really ditch the dated "hitbox" system for true phisics this time, IE your sword would have to actualy phisicaly touch someone to do damage.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:32:02 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2010, 03:35:30 pm »

I'm very skeptical about Skyrim...

I never played the old-school Elder Scrolls, but I thoroughly enjoyed Morrowind and was very disappointed in Oblivion.  Really felt like a much smaller, much simpler game.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2010, 03:36:57 pm »

Pretty much this. I wish the game wouldn't grab your hand and scream YOU'RE THE DESTINED ONE YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL HERE FIND THIS PERSON AND SEEK YOUR DESTINY ARGUE BARGLE. The main plot could happen independently from you, and you could have the choice of participating or not. If you did not, things could escalate badly, or another hero could show up, or you could join the other side and step on everyone's necks, etc.

But then how would the game tell you you're the epic chosen one who is destined to save the world from some random thing or another.

The Elder Scrolls has actual lore which is often revealed through in game books, which give you a lot of interesting info for reading into the details. Personally, I think this reduces neccesity for a strong main storyline but yes, Oblivion's was crappy.

Yeah, I really liked the lore.  Shame Oblivion crapped all over it and either rewrote or ignored practically everything that was relevant to it.  Hell, the whole plot of the game is based around ignoring the fact that the empire was ruled by a non-Septim line on several occasions, and that whole legend was basically just propaganda designed by the dynasty itself to help keep it's power.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2010, 03:38:55 pm »

I'd rather not have to do the main questline straight away. I hope Skyrim's plotline is more like Morrowind's, where it is about the player rather than about some lazy priest who has some guy run errands for him without so much as being paid so he can save the world.
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:47 pm »

Personally, I'm hoping we read a rebellion against the Empire or something.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »

I hope the main quest has time limits, to give it a sense of urgency, with actual consequences if you don't complete goals in time (Ex. towns being leveled, volcanoes erupting, territory being seized, people getting infected with plagues, etc, etc.).
[/post]
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »

I hope the main quest has time limits, to give it a sense of urgency, with actual consequences if you don't complete goals in time (Ex. towns being leveled, volcanoes erupting, territory being seized, people getting infected with plagues, etc, etc.).

Hahahah, yeah right.

Did you see the nerd rage after Bioware did that, seriously?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2010, 03:55:36 pm »

Personally, I'm hoping we read a rebellion against the Empire or something.

I was kinda hoping something would shake up the political scene as well. We've got no Emperor in the Imperial City and the provinces have always considered regaining independence. It would be a perfect time to initiate a rebellion.

However, my real hope for TES:V is a better Game Engine combined with TES's legendary Construction Set. One that can handle airborn creatures (like Dragons) and have true underwater levels to explore.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2010, 04:12:37 pm »

Hahahah, yeah right.

Did you see the nerd rage after Bioware did that, seriously?

With what game?
[/post]

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »

The novel suggests that the empire will fall apart and the trailer says something like ' the children of skyrim spilled their own blood', so it could be set in a rebellion or civil war.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »

With luck, the player will be allowed to side with someone and determine the results of the war.
[/post]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2010, 04:21:32 pm »

Yet it was crazy awesome when it was done in Star Control II.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2010, 04:55:51 pm »

It doesn't have to have time limits, since that is what they are trying not to do, but if the world actually changed as you procrastinated that would be a step up.

So sure take as much time as you need... the world is going to look like heck in the meantime.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2010, 04:58:15 pm »

Apparently Bethesda are releasing a load of info to magazines in february.

It sounds like the game will be about being a badass dragon slayer.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 201