Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265631 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #1035 on: January 30, 2011, 04:03:33 pm »

Pretty sure you keep the corprus status effects after you beat the main questline.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 30, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »

The Almsivi did other stuff too, and they didn't blink out of existence the moment the Heart was smashed.

They didn't blink out of existence because they weren't created using the Heart, they were merely mortals who used the Heart's power. They simply became ordinary mortals again when the Heart was destroyed, which drove Almalexia insane. Now of course within the game stuff like the Ministry of Truth and the Ghostfence stayed operational, but I think that was more because Bethsoft didn't think scripting such stuff would be worthwhile.

Edit: Checked the wiki, the Ghostfence does indeed shut down after the main quest is completed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:58:31 pm by Sordid »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:39 am »

I thought the Ghostfence vanished, I remember it doing so. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:26 am »

We probably need to move to a "nirm lore" topic. I found the matter amusing but we're of from pages

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 31, 2011, 04:06:28 am »

They didn't blink out of existence because they weren't created using the Heart, they were merely mortals who used the Heart's power. They simply became ordinary mortals again when the Heart was destroyed, which drove Almalexia insane. Now of course within the game stuff like the Ministry of Truth and the Ghostfence stayed operational, but I think that was more because Bethsoft didn't think scripting such stuff would be worthwhile.

"They" referring to the things the Almsivi did, not the Almsivi themselves. :)

Anyway, the Ministry of Truth only got unstable after a while. I guess it needed Vivec to renew the magics every now and then. The Sermons claim that Vivec did it on purpose, but it could be that he didn't actually have enough power to fix it into the sky permanently, and just pretended that he could have. That would be just his style.

As for the Ghostfence, I've no idea. I didn't ever actually finish the main quest, being mesmerized by all the books and caves and sidequests. :P After Dagoth Ur's death, there wouldn't have been much reason to keep it running anyway.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: January 31, 2011, 04:39:33 am »

If corprus wasn't cured in every living thing by destroying the Heart, then there would still be a reason to keep it up. Of course, Almsivi were rapidly running out of power to keep it up even before the Nerevarine took care of Dagoth Ur and the Heart, so...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 31, 2011, 05:16:23 am »

We probably need to move to a "nirm lore" topic. I found the matter amusing but we're of from pages

Well so what? Yes, this topic is supposed to be about Skyrim, but there's no new info to discuss. So what harm does it do if we talk about the background a bit?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 31, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

I remember something about Daedra being immortal, but Aedra can be killed? (and apparently they were). Aedra created peoples and stuff, or something, they were more like gods in the fatherly sense.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 31, 2011, 11:07:46 am »

Aedra can be killed but I'd imagine it would take quite a bit of effort to kill them. I'd say that none of the immortals are actually
'gods' but they can be revered as gods.

The Almsivi did other stuff too, and they didn't blink out of existence the moment the Heart was smashed.

Didn't Vivec blink out of existence some time after his trials? The Tribunal may also have caused a dragon break when they used the heart, meaning that they would have been born mortal in another universe but when they made themselves demigods with the heart, that old universe was destroyed and replaced by one in which they had always been gods.

Well so what? Yes, this topic is supposed to be about Skyrim, but there's no new info to discuss. So what harm does it do if we talk about the background a bit?
Yea, let's not have 2 or 3 topics on the run. We can discuss Skyrim whenever new information comes along. Otherwise we can discuss TES lore.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 31, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »

rumors about Vivec was he was dragged away by dredra.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »

Anyway, the Ministry of Truth only got unstable after a while. I guess it needed Vivec to renew the magics every now and then. The Sermons claim that Vivec did it on purpose, but it could be that he didn't actually have enough power to fix it into the sky permanently, and just pretended that he could have. That would be just his style.

Just because he's no longer in contact with the heart doesn't mean he no longer has CHIM.  He froze the MoT in time, it's momentum intact, with the condition that if people lost their love for him, so would the magic holding the MoT be lost as well.

As for Talos, he ascended to divinity, by doing the same thing you do in Shivering Isles.  He mantled the "dead" god, Lorkhan, until he was Lorkhan.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 31, 2011, 02:26:57 pm »

The thing is, the player may or may not have killed Vivec and walked off with his spine.  ;)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 31, 2011, 02:48:43 pm »

The thing is, the player may or may not have killed Vivec and walked off with his spine.  ;)

I think that's what the "Vivec is missing" rumor is supposed to address. If you killed him in the previous game, then you know what happened to him. If you didn't, then Azura most likely did something to him as punishment for crossing her (hence the "taken by daedra" bit). I seriously doubt it's going to be addressed any further than that in the following games.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:51:31 pm by Sordid »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 31, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

I think Vivec is way too badass to be killed, and he's just hiding somewhere. If the Nerevarine killed him, he would have seen it coming and taken some precautions and faked his own death in the protagonist's hands or something.

I don't care if it's canon. It's canon for me.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: January 31, 2011, 04:35:50 pm »

You do realize he's a lying, backstabbing sonofabitch and all the accounts of his heroic exploits are propaganda penned by himself, right?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 201