Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Paradise?  (Read 2354 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Paradise?
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:02:16 pm »

I believe I have discovered something interesting in the world I have been playing on.

This is Ewelina, a large regional map I created using PerfectWorld. To the far east is the Lone Continent, which is very calm and home to only elves and goblins. The thin, central coastal region tends to be very warm and humid, and is home to humans, dwarves, goblins and mainland elves. To the distant west... is a dry, savage wasteland which hosts to only a single goblin civilization.

The interesting thing, however, is that there are no bogeyman in the west. Perhaps night creatures only spawn within a certain proximity to default playable civs? Or maybe it has to do with the high savagery bumping them out of their niche? I do not know, but I do know that two dwarven adventurers who spawned in their empty hamlets, along with one human (who braved the hour and a half IRL trek across the great mountains) were able to rest for as long as two weeks without anyone bogeying down on them. They did, however, deal with relentless attacks by giant scorpions and every other manner of wild life  and goblins, which eventually claimed them.

..But isn't it odd?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:05:19 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Paradise?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:03:55 pm »

Very strange indeed.

Somebody has to figure out how to replicate this! Post the save on DFFD!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:34:13 pm »

I do not know, but I do know that two dwarven adventurers who spawned in their empty hamlets, along with one human (who braved the hour and a half IRL trek across the great mountains) were able to rest for as long as two weeks without anyone bogeying down on them.

If by that, you mean that you had a human companion with you, then the reason you're not getting any bogeymen is because they only appear when you're alone.

If I misunderstood you, and you WERE alone, then we need to figure out how to replicate this. At worst, it's a bug. At best, it's a hidden feature. What are the Evil/Good ratings for those regions?
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:27:51 pm »

I do not know, but I do know that two dwarven adventurers who spawned in their empty hamlets, along with one human (who braved the hour and a half IRL trek across the great mountains) were able to rest for as long as two weeks without anyone bogeying down on them.

If by that, you mean that you had a human companion with you, then the reason you're not getting any bogeymen is because they only appear when you're alone.

If I misunderstood you, and you WERE alone, then we need to figure out how to replicate this. At worst, it's a bug. At best, it's a hidden feature. What are the Evil/Good ratings for those regions?

Sorry, I'll clarify. Both dwarf characters were alone, since although I edited non-humans back into the game, some of the dwarven locales on the map are still empty. The human character crossed the mountains initially with two companions, but found himself alone after his first companion broke his leash and went running after groundhogs and the second fell to the 7th wave of giant eagles issuing forth from some godforsaken point. It is worth noting that even while he was alone in the mountains, he did not encounter any bogeymen. Unless I am mistaken, the presence of giant eagles suggests high savagery, which might be a point in the column for that theory.

As for area alignment, each of them have approximately the same proportion of small and medium good and evil areas. I dislike large aligned regions, as they wind up consuming the entire body of mountains or ocean water, so there are none on this map. I would say that the island (which is currently accessible only by crossing the ice cap, if you were wondering) may be slightly skewed in favor of good.  Both the island and the central coast region are inhabited by bogeymen.

It's a distinct possibility that each of those three characters has been ridiculously lucky (to a point), and that someone will yet prove me wrong. Give me a day or so and I will upload the pwn file.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:21:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've had adventurers make mountain treks alone before without encountering bogeymen as well. My latest adventurer also managed to wander around for several weeks alone without companions without encountering bogeymen either. That's a bit annoying since I equipped him with a full set of adamantine goods for the express purpose of avenging all of my adventurers those cheap bastards have killed since they were introduced into the game. Logen is wandering around in the Mire of Fire, a savage marshland so that may have something to do with it as well. An in-universe excuse could be all the hydras since there's like eight or ten of them within walking distance of his starting hamlet.

Anyway. Bogeymen do spawn in the east, correct?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:36:05 am »

I'm pretty sure I've had adventurers make mountain treks alone before without encountering bogeymen as well. My latest adventurer also managed to wander around for several weeks alone without companions without encountering bogeymen either. That's a bit annoying since I equipped him with a full set of adamantine goods for the express purpose of avenging all of my adventurers those cheap bastards have killed since they were introduced into the game. Logen is wandering around in the Mire of Fire, a savage marshland so that may have something to do with it as well. An in-universe excuse could be all the hydras since there's like eight or ten of them within walking distance of his starting hamlet.

Anyway. Bogeymen do spawn in the east, correct?

Correct. Everywhere until the mountains, though I don't know how far in because I don't know were Wilderness become Untamed Wilds, and therein is the answer.

After deciding to run an experiment, I generated a new world, (using PerfectWorld, which is important because it let's you control the proportion and layout of savagery). This is a small region, about 95% of which is utterly savage (untamed wilds) and the other 5% benign (calm) so that civilizations could form. The results were two burgeoning clusters of goblin and human nations. Dwarves and elves didn't make the cut, it seems. I rolled a human adventurer from the country on the southernmost outskirt, and after embarking immediately left the area I knew to be Calm.

About half a day's journey out I encountered a group of goblins with the message "halt in the name of __Their org name here__." That was new to me, and I wonder if it had anything to do with there being nearby goblin nations rather than just bandits. Regardless, lopped there limbs off and crossed the bridge, pushing ever deeper into the Untamed Wilderness, unchallenged by the Night.

This glitch or "feature" has nothing to do with area alignment, as far as I can tell. I've slept in blessed prairies and cursed swamps, and while animal encounters have been frequent, three weeks in, I haven't had a single bogey session. I almost miss the little buggers...

..not one bit.

It could also be that bogeymen simply don't "spawn" further than a certain proportional distance from certain civilizations... but that hasn't been my experience.

If these results hold water and you want a world with as few bogeymen encounters as possible, but without the clustered civilizations, I recommend manually editing the savagery layout (via tool in PerfectWorld) to create several "islands" of benignity (calm) where civilizations can spring up, leaving a sea of wilderness between them. Still dangerous, but your odds are probably much better than they were with the eye-gouging bastards, and the encounters a little more meaningful and varied than random evil midget attacks.

- Ibid

P.S. NO ONE TELL TOADY OR HE MIGHT FIX (BREAK) IT! :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:42:05 am by Ibid Straydrink »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:48:53 am »

Yeah, in my experience bogeymen only appear near civilization... Not so many people to munch out in the wild I suppose! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 03:15:12 am »

Or maybe in every world there's a badass barehanded fighter who lives out in the wilderness (hermit monk?) that bogeymen are afraid to go near because when they do he punches them in the face.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 04:09:24 am »

Suggestion board!  :D

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 04:16:05 am »

I generated a world with dwarven/elven/goblin cities, and started a dwarf up north in freezing biome. Anyway, the buildings won't generate there so all the towns and hamlets on the map were empty. But, as long as I stayed in frozen area I didn't encounter any bogeymen. As soon as I slept on the plains, they showed up and killed me.

So, I believe bogeymen never spawn in certain biomes.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 05:25:37 am »

I generated a world with dwarven/elven/goblin cities, and started a dwarf up north in freezing biome. Anyway, the buildings won't generate there so all the towns and hamlets on the map were empty. But, as long as I stayed in frozen area I didn't encounter any bogeymen. As soon as I slept on the plains, they showed up and killed me.

So, I believe bogeymen never spawn in certain biomes.

I would believe it, it's consistent with what I've seen. I do not think that biomes are the only factor, however.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 05:28:52 am »

Do some !!SCIENCE!! science, and run through some mountains inhabited by fluffy bunnies.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 06:20:47 am »

Do some !!SCIENCE!! science, and run through some mountains inhabited by fluffy bunnies.

What, you mean those stuffy wumblers?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 05:53:14 am »

For some reason the first .18 world I made had no boogeymen and I thought that it was all an elaborate joke. Three worlds later, on that fateful night...

Also, I must have misread the raws because Fluffy Wamblers are humanoid and don't need brains to think?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30:24 am »

Might indeed have to do with savagery. At least I never had to deal with Bogeys and GDSs at the same time (and I get GDSs a lot, my worlds ar all >50% savage / terrifying desert).
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!
Pages: [1] 2