Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't Save, Please Help  (Read 1356 times)

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't Save, Please Help
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:52:27 am »

When i create a new world or save the game manually, the game won't save it permanently. If i just wuit to main menu and start again from there, the world and save i have is still there. When i quit the game completely and run it again, its as if i haven't played before. There aren't any saves or worlds that should have saved. When i search through my Dwarf Fortress folder there isn't a folder marked for saves. Should there be?

Any help to get my game to save would be appreciated, Thanks.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Save, Please Help
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:04:39 pm »

Never had this problem myself, but there should be a save folder inside the data folder (dwarf fortress\data\save\region1, region2 etc if you've got more worlds).
Where is the dwarf fortress folder located on your computer?
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »

Did you extract DF into a folder or are you running the program from the .zip?

I recall someone else had this problem because they ran the dwarf fortress exe out of the zip without extracting it first.

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:11:51 pm »

I recall someone else had this problem because they ran the dwarf fortress exe out of the zip without extracting it first.

ya i read that series of posts and so i extracted the files and there in My Documents in a folder called Dwarf Fortress and when i go to the data folder there isn't a save file

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:48:24 pm »

ya i read that series of posts and so i extracted the files and there in My Documents in a folder called Dwarf Fortress and when i go to the data folder there isn't a save file

are you sure you extracted ALL files?  ie. did you highlight ever file and then hit extract?  if not you might have only extracted 1 or a few of the files
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:58:39 pm »

ya all of them but even in the zip file i downloaded didn't have a save file in it

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »

doublecheck the programs permission in the folders (assuming you got windows from what i read) probably got a writeblock in the directory :>

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 09:27:10 pm »

If you loaded from an auto-saved file at some point, all saves will take the name of that file you loaded from. For example, if you loaded from Region2-Spr-93, your new auto-save files will take the form Region2-Spr-93-Season-year. Your saves will probably take the form of Region-Spr-93 (for example).

If this confuses you and you really need to load from autosaves due to excessive fun, I recommend closing DF, then changing the name of the appropriate directory (once you find it's name by loading it) in [dwarf fortress directory]\data\save\ to something else to make it a little clearer. This doesn't cause any problems, that I am aware of anyway, because all world data is stored in each save directory.

This confused me a bit as well, before I started renaming when forced to load an autosave.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:35:22 pm »

Ah sorry, I read part of that too quickly. There is no [dwarf fortress directory]\data\saves\ ?

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »

doublecheck the programs permission in the folders (assuming you got windows from what i read) probably got a writeblock in the directory :>
how do i check the permissions in the folder and change them?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:54:15 am »

mh i would say whats your OS .. depending on that navigate to the game directory and show it on full detail (windows) or ls-l(?) on linux .. there you can see the flags for write read and such stuff (sometimes archives get unpacked in protected mode) if they are write protected change the permissions via properties panel (windows) or with the specific linux command (bite me with that but i have no real clue)

but well it was just an idea what the problem might be .. probably its something totally different

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 09:58:58 am »

i have windows xp if thats any help  :-\

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 10:04:41 am »

open explorer then go to the directory you saved the game in and check if that directory is write protected ort not (select folder symbol rightclick and properties) .. if it is uncheck it and save with changes done to subfolders too (he might ask you that)

that could help

chocopaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 10:09:52 am »

when i go to properties there isn't a write protection option there is:
Read only
Hidden

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 10:39:22 am »

is there a checkbox activated next to read only? then this might be the problem .. uncheck and it should work
Pages: [1] 2