Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Digging a deep hole  (Read 6129 times)

Rain908

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Digging a deep hole
« on: December 11, 2010, 04:56:44 am »

I want to build a well that reached down about 80 levels to a cavern, now what is the most efficient way to punch a hole through all those levels? I don't really want to bother making a channel on every level.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Digging a deep hole
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:01:08 am »

dig all the levels you want (with a staircase at the side). when finished with the top level build a support and link it to a lever. when finished all levels, channel away the edges/around the edges of the top floor. then hurry everyone in. then pull the lever. cave-in==>hole down to wherever you want.

use burrows and keep that lever far far away. for bonus points get goblins stranded on top of there  :D

AND SAVE FIRST!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:50:06 am »

A support holds the lower level up? I didn't think they worked like that.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:41 am »

yeah, the support acts as a wall. that i THINK you can move through... anyways. if 1 tile there is supported then the whole thing stays up... yeah.

try it, you can actually even use a constructed floor tile to make sure it doesn't fall until ready.

(and, later you can kill off an annoying idiot by having him remove the floor, but this is not recommended if said idiot has friends)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Rain908

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:44:58 am »

Actually I found a better way, I digged a down-way stair and then started digging upward ramps until the end, the ramps above the ramps that were digged fell down, so I was basically channeling one square without the dwarf having to move, the only problem was that I had to dig the dwarf out after he reached the bottom level. Now I have a nice well in the middle of main hall going down 70 levels. :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »

Actually I found a better way, I digged a down-way stair and then started digging upward ramps until the end, the ramps above the ramps that were digged fell down, so I was basically channeling one square without the dwarf having to move, the only problem was that I had to dig the dwarf out after he reached the bottom level. Now I have a nice well in the middle of main hall going down 70 levels. :)

too bad it will take your dwarves months just to get a single bucketful of water up 70 z levels.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

You should always make a reservoir using smooth+cave fortification to make a hole leading to the cavern lake and then build a well over the reservoir. That way, monsters will have to find some way to penetrate the fortification (practically impossible) to get to your fort. If you just dig down to the cavern lake and put a well on top, don't be surprised to see an FB appearing in your dining room.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 09:00:28 pm »

dig all the levels you want (with a staircase at the side). when finished with the top level build a support and link it to a lever. when finished all levels, channel away the edges/around the edges of the top floor. then hurry everyone in. then pull the lever. cave-in==>hole down to wherever you want.

use burrows and keep that lever far far away. for bonus points get goblins stranded on top of there  :D

AND SAVE FIRST!

question .. say i want that hole exactly 25 z levels deep .. how do i stop the cave in before it punches too far? just digging out any floor up to z+1 of the wanted bottom level?

so far i allways was building a side stair and ramp up'd each level from top to bottom ... z-level wise

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »

I usually don't do cave-ins but can't controlled cave-in punch through the ground?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:18:53 pm »

that was my question .. i like to build my farms under my main water reservoir for easy flooding and just above a cavern top so i can built an easy drain ... would not want to punch out too much :>

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »

Sorry I overlooked that part.

I think every z-level of wall that collapses punches through 1 z level

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 10:57:57 pm »

No, it can actually punch through more.  I tried a "controlled cave-in" today and had to reset, because of how damaging it was.

It punched through FOUR FLOORS, despite being only 1 z-level above what I wanted collapsed.

It destroyed the first floor utterly, blasted apart the workshops on the second floor, collapsed a tunnel on the third, and then killed a dwarf on the fourth and destroyed two rooms and some coffins.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 11:00:59 pm »

IIRC, if there is a single tile of ground that is not solid on the level that it lands on, it punches right through. otherwise, it creates a natural wall.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 11:53:12 pm »

By "solid" I assume you mean "not sand", ha ha.  And you mean "is rock".  Which is probably why it punched through 4 levels of ground and slaughtered so much of my stuff.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 11:55:55 pm »

I mean it has either a single tile with a tunnel below it (e.x. your fortress) then the entire cave-in continues.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company
Pages: [1] 2