Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Butchery fails to produce anything but skulls  (Read 1318 times)

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
Butchery fails to produce anything but skulls
« on: December 10, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »

As I cant seem to find out how to use the butchers workshop on the fourm search, (or wiki  >:( ) I am going to my last resort and just asking. Thanks in advance.

THE PROBLEM: I have been butchering kittens for near a year now... I have piles of cat skulls, but no cat bones, or anything else for that matter.

(btw, how do you butcher skeletons)

DF 31.18
Ironhand's tileset

Nothing else out of the ordinary
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Goodbye.
Goodbye.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchery fails to produce anything but skulls
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »

Kittens are too small to produce any usable bones, meat, or other products. Kitten slaughter providing no meat or bones is expected anymore, so either wait for them to grow up or breed something else. The latter is probably a better choice.

Skeletons of animals can be butchered just the same as a fresh carcass could. If it's from a wild animal, in a refuse stockpile, and nearby the butcher's shop, the job will auto-quene. Skeletons of tamed animals and sapients can't be butchered. Some people have claimed that such things will eventually turn into bones, but I've not observed that myself, and most of the people who have carefully observed them agree that it doesn't happen.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »

Thanks, lots of help  :D
I heard that I died.
It was inevitable.
Goodbye.
Goodbye.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:09:42 pm »

I get this. I've got trainable vermin hunters, in the form of crocodile monitors. Because the young are so small (and they have clutches of 7-17) I end up with loads of totems and nothing else until they come of age, at 2.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 02:18:56 am »

i'm almost sure I've seen a highly skilled butcher get more than a skull from a kitten.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 05:57:31 am »

in the old versions yes, I think this changed

also I do get goblin bones after they decay, it just takes a LONG time.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:56:05 am »

Skeletons of tamed animals and sapients can't be butchered. Some people have claimed that such things will eventually turn into bones, but I've not observed that myself, and most of the people who have carefully observed them agree that it doesn't happen.

I had a big siege recently leave my map strewn with dozens of goblin corpses and a handful of dead trolls. A year later, I've started finding "goblin bone crafts" and "troll ivory crafts" in my finished goods stockpile, so my bone carver is clearly working some of the invaders' remains. I definitely have not seen a butcher chop up any sentient corpses (or their skeletons), but I think maybe a *severed* body part from a sentient can be claimed and worked (once it rots to just bones). My axedwarves leave quite a few severs lying around when they go through a siege...

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 12:26:09 pm »

I've yet to see things rotting into bones or been able to use remains as bones yet, not sure if it works. I've had problems keeping my bone supply high enough for moods since the df2010 rolled out. Hell, I'm having trouble to get even normal animals butchered unless they're tame and sent there while alive.

About the kitten yielding more than a skull, is it possible it was older and had some time to grow a bit before butchered? I think there's also size differences ("he is gigantic") influencing how much food and things you get from butchering now.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:09:56 pm »

Sometimes I just got a skull from actual cats (.12). They were slightly over a year old (maybe a month after becoming actual cats). Is this a bug?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 03:20:54 pm »

Sometimes I just got a skull from actual cats (.12). They were slightly over a year old (maybe a month after becoming actual cats). Is this a bug?

I think it takes a year after maturity for cats to grow to full size. before then, they only give skulls.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 03:52:31 pm »

Would you care to define long? 10 years? 20? 100?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »

Would you care to define long? 10 years? 20? 100?

180 days. It's in the raws.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 07:02:55 pm »

First I've heard of it. Where? What tag? Wiki is down at the moment, so can't check there, but I've A) never heard of such a thing, and B) observed skeletons and such for more than a year ingame without them turning to bones, so you understand if I doubt the veracity of your statement there.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 07:19:50 pm »

First I've heard of it. Where? What tag? Wiki is down at the moment, so can't check there, but I've A) never heard of such a thing, and B) observed skeletons and such for more than a year ingame without them turning to bones, so you understand if I doubt the veracity of your statement there.

Whoops. I quoted the wrong message. I meant to quote the message above yours.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 04:59:09 am »

I didn't check, well in the succession fort I was year 4 and got some, so at least 2 years. and this is above-ground stockpile, too.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: [1] 2