Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just so everyone is aware of wild animals giving birth:  (Read 1284 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just so everyone is aware of wild animals giving birth:
« on: December 10, 2010, 06:08:27 pm »

Wild animals can give birth, but the pack, herd or flock needs to be stuck somewhere for extended periods of time. (the leader is stuck in a cage trap, for example)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Just so everyone is aware of wild animals giving birth:
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 06:12:30 pm »

What species of wild animal was it?  Was it an animal with the [PET] tag, such as an elephant or horse?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:16:50 pm »

It was a few random animals, one was an elephant, I think a few underground critters gave birth too.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 06:23:39 pm »

Creatures with the [PET] tag are known to give birth regardless of whether they are tame or wild.  Creatures with the [PET_EXOTIC] tag don't give birth unless you have a Dungeon Master, and creatures with neither tag don't seem to give birth at all in the current version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 06:38:01 pm »

Enemy siegers can also give birth, by the way, if you've never seen one of the unicorns the elves bring when they attack have foals.

In addition, if you add in a sieging race that is not intelligent, like giant cave spiders, they may also have offspring during sieges.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 06:47:27 pm »

Enemy siegers can also give birth, by the way, if you've never seen one of the unicorns the elves bring when they attack have foals.

In addition, if you add in a sieging race that is not intelligent, like giant cave spiders, they may also have offspring during sieges.

I thought vanilla unicorns lacked a Child tag? I know they don't have "pet", so I bet [MOUNT_EXOTIC] works similarly to [PET] and [PET_EXOTIC]

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:51:47 pm »

I thought vanilla unicorns lacked a Child tag? I know they don't have "pet", so I bet [MOUNT_EXOTIC] works similarly to [PET] and [PET_EXOTIC]

They have a child tag.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:08:02 pm »

i wish i could tame em so i can breed and slaughter tyhe offspring...they are really nice for carving up, but, hunting them is fine i guess, since they arent meant to be pets

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:42:44 pm »

If the unicorn mounts that the elves bring give birth, then it should be possible to capture them in cage traps, isolate the calves, and breed those.  You don't need to tame them to farm them for meat if you use an isolated breeding chamber and system of remote-controlled hatches and/or bridges to isolate them and drop them down 10+ Z levels to kill them.  I'll have to get the elves to siege me so I can try that.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »

If the unicorn mounts that the elves bring give birth, then it should be possible to capture them in cage traps, isolate the calves, and breed those.  You don't need to tame them to farm them for meat if you use an isolated breeding chamber and system of remote-controlled hatches and/or bridges to isolate them and drop them down 10+ Z levels to kill them.  I'll have to get the elves to siege me so I can try that.
I've been told in the small questions thread that if you capture an enemy mount, a male and a female, you can have them breed.  You'll only catch them by using cage traps, and they'll only breed while out.  They will kill the baby though.  What you can do is have them out for an extended period of time, then cage them up.  They'll give birth while in the cage, thus making it so they can't kill the baby.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 08:20:36 pm »

They will kill the baby though.

They might look cute and harmless, like the kind of thing your 6 year old neice would be into, but there freeking sadistic killers.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:22:49 pm »

Even better than the z-level drop: unleash them into your barracks so they can be live-training for your militia. Beats sparring any day.