Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bah Humbug! Who wants to skip the Holidays?  (Read 2224 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bah Humbug! Who wants to skip the Holidays?
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:00:56 pm »

As I sit inside my room I look towards what I should do soon.

I realised that all the energy I put towards these holidays would be better spent sleeping under my covers.

My presents are unwanted in in return no one wants them.

My projects are thrown out along with my care.

Selfish they say and indeed I can see it when I mention not but myself, but I hold that the only reason that I'd want to stay in these holidays is because of the upset, the frown that I'd see upon each and every person. The only one I know who would not be smiling would be myself crambed in a corner watching as they all get up and cheer on and on that the holidays are here and that saddness is gone.

Why should I join in on the cheer when nothing in my heart will stop these shreds of tears?

----------

To conclude: The Holidays suck.

Ignoring my somewhat poor on the spot poem. Who else would just rather skip the holidays if they could?

I love the holidays, I just feel like I disapoint everyone and that I never really get a chance to celebrate it in my own way. This year I wanted to make something, but alas that was shot down too.

Last year was particularly bad...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bah Humbug! Who wants to skip the Holidays?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:02:28 pm »

I like Halloween. I can only hope the rest spontaneously cease existing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:03:07 pm »

New Year's Eve is pretty awesome, and decidedly un-memorable, to pick my words carefully.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:04:52 pm »

I've been trying to convince my parents that we don't have vast amounts of money to spend on these holidays, and every year they insist on celibrating them anyway. I'm putting my foot down this christmas. We don't need to dig the debt hole deeper for the sake of gift-giving, at the very least not for me. They aren't getting a single gift idea out of me, no way, no how.

EDIT: And I just had to talk my mother out of getting me a freaking iPhone because my normal one has stopped transmiting calls. God damnit, we don't have the money for this kind of blatent spending. Am I the only one who understands these things?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:28:39 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

I haven't celebrated a holiday in years.

No presents.

No costumes.

No decorations.

I did go to a halloween party this year, but I went for the party, not the halloween.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »

Christmas is a good excuse to see people you want to see (if you don't want to, just don't go).  Also to make your house smell like pine needles and have colored lights, because those are cool.

I'm going to see if I can come in to work on the 24th anyway though (friday and a holiday = normally no work).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:01:28 pm »

I love the holidays.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »

Hm.  I like them, but I like doing them small.  Not really commercialized... most people that I buy stuff for I wind up getting books that I either think they'll enjoy or will expand their perceptions.  Similarly, it's nice to give thanks on Thanksgiving, reconsider one's life on New Year's, and appreciate the object of one's affections on Valentine's Day.  I even go to local festivals for other cultures' holidays, just to hang out with neat people and enjoy the atmosphere.

I don't have problems with getting gifts I don't want, because my policy has always been "Buy me a good book and I will be a happy camper."  Similarly, I always think it's really nice to do a little gift exchange.  If we both wind up with something we want, but normally won't let ourselves buy for whatever reason... well, that's pleasant.

I guess I'm a bit more on the traditionalist side.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:10:18 pm »

The Holidays are great. So much fun to be with your family :)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »

I like to use the "I'm not monotheist so I'm not celebrating your messiah" excuse.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:02:42 pm »

I see those members of my family I like regularly. Christmas is just an obligation to spend time with the ones I don't.

I stand corrected though, Retro is absolutely right. New Years is also occasionally a good holiday. :P

I think I like halloween because its the stuff I do all year round by I can get a lot more people to come to those parties.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 07:21:33 pm »

Gotta say, I'd either prefer to do no holidays at all, or all of them.

"Sorry, boss, I have to have double time in December. Why? The holidays! All of them!"

Gotta admit, though, New Year's Eve is a good excuse to get rip roaringly drunk and play Rock Band at about 120 decibels.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:23:41 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 07:22:11 pm »

Thanksgiving this year was... meh... just a bigger-than-usual meal with the usual bunch of people... the same bunch of people i see on a weekly basis...

Christmas... meh... nothing special, hasn't been for a few years now... more stuff i don't really need...

New Years... *yawn*

*sigh* i'd have no problem with sleeping until January when school starts back
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 07:25:00 pm »

I have no problems either way.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »

*sigh* i'd have no problem with sleeping until January when school starts back

Amen to that, brother =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3