Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Influencing your world...  (Read 572 times)

Spoonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Influencing your world...
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:17:26 am »

I was wondering in what ways you can change your world. For instance I just read about how killing off megabeasts will dawn a new age. What other things can we get up to in both fortress and adventure modes?

Some other questions...

Can you kill your dwarf king in adventure mode, are there any consequences?
Can you end civilisations?
Can you become king?
Raise an army?
Rid the world off evil?

I guess im asking how interactive this world can be?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Influencing your world...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:44:10 pm »

1. yes; depends on how you look at it  ;D
2. yes, but it takes a long time
3. probably not
4. not yet *
5. yes, but it takes an eternity

*but yes after the army 'arc' is done

final question: not too much, but that will change soon enough.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:42:49 pm »

you cant kill the dwarf king in this version, but you can if you go back to one of the 40D versions or earlier where mountain homes existed.  currently, non-human sites are not in adventure mode and they are waiting to be re-implemented.

the only consequence was that you would become an enemy of your civilization, and people would attack you on site.  I think a new king was assigned for fortress mode, so no impact there.

You can indeed end civilizations.  easiest to do on a pocket world, but no real game-impact except that they wont be there to trade with any future fortresses.  since non-human sites dont exist anymore, you cant end those civilizations as you cant find the people to kill them.

becoming king might be part of the army arc.  otherwise, you can attract a king to your dwarf fortress, and become the capital. 

you can not raise an army YET, but you can attract increasing numbers of followers depending on your skill and fame.  you can actually get pretty large groups at higher levels.  i am not aware of any practical limits to it.

back in the old 2D mode you used to be able to lower the evilness of an area by killing lots and lots of the evil native fauna.  I dont know if this is still a feature or not, and it isnt very practical to do in any case.  Also in 2D there used to be a limit of one mega-demon per mountain range, and you could eventually kill them all.  The underworld does not work that way anymore, but there are a limited number of forgotten beasts that you could eventually kill all of.  demons are now unlimited, as far as i know.

Spoonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:02:51 am »

Ok cool, Ive read up on this army arc. Sounds as though theres much to look forward to as the game develops.