Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Version  (Read 1426 times)

Dalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Best Version
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:25:58 am »

Whats the !!BEST!! version of Dwarf Fortress to use to play adventurer mode?
I mean like Vanilla version w/e, or like a total conversion mod... I just want to know.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Best Version
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:23:34 am »

I'm liking Deon's Genesis for 31.18.

-edit
derp, I said 30.18 herp
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:20:25 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:27:18 am »

I say DF 31.18, since it's a bug fix from version 31.17, which improved adventure mode dramatically from earlier versions. Deon's Genesis mod's also quite nice.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:20:25 am »

31.18 in general; I have several mods which I cycle through as the fancy takes me, so I have adventures going in vanilla, Knight Otu's LoZ mod, Deon's Genesis, rephikul's Intense, and a few others. I like to poke fun at opportunity strikes to digits, but really, I love that addition to the game, and genning a world for 125 years means you get a ton of quests, which is frickin' awesome. The only downside is the lack of sites for civs other than humans, but you can just fix that in the raws by making every civ have this:

Code: [Select]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]

instead of what they normally have there, and that problem is only temporary anyway. So, uh, yeah, go for 31.18 and whatever floats your boat. Genesis adds a lot of great things, like moar reactions for crafting your own arrows and new races/civs/items, so you can't really go wrong with it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 07:01:59 am »

Vanilla 30.18 for me, but i use Deons Genesis from time to time
Mainly to literally rape Elves with my knife
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 07:13:37 am »

Im also loving .18, before that I used .12 a lot.

As far as mods go I do tend to play vanilla more than anything else.
My current community fort (see sig) is running Genesis and I must say its pretty kickass.
FDII is also a firm favorite since it brings flashbacks of my DotA days.
Civ Forge is another good mod that I enjoyed, but im not entirely satisfied with the alchemy in that mod.  Most likely im just too lazy to learn it properly but it gives me a headache.  Generally im a fan of any mod that adds civs, preferably many and hostile.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Dalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:02:18 pm »

Thank you everyone, seems i should play Genesis or .18 then lol.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:50:19 pm »

There are a few aspects where 31.12 is better than 31.18.  Anything in between is just an incomplete version of 31.18, so I don't suggest it.  31.12 includes towns with castles and temples in them, along with sites for other civs.  It also preserves the people who you kill instead of respawning them, so it's the best version for singlehanded genocide (I believe that peasants regenerate when you leave the town in 31.18, but I'm not sure).

31.12 has no night creatures, harder to find and fewer quests, and no aimed attacks, so it's not as good for anything except elven genocide  8).

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »

I believe that peasants regenerate when you leave the town in 31.18, but I'm not sure.
I'm pretty sure they are not or at least they should not.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 02:57:12 pm »

I think it's to do with the prep for the army arc. Civs, rather than having a defined amount of people, draw from a near infinite stock of faceless npcs, only gaining names when they become historically significant. Therefore, when you pillage a town it's simply replenished from this faceless mass.
*Hugs*

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »

Thank you, I didn't know that.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 03:32:32 pm »

Note: Due to a glitch, Dwarves in Genesis are fire/magma resistant until it's next updated. That makes a difference if you are fighting the balors and stuff. Much more !!FUN!! to play a race whose head can melt. (of which there are many to choose from in Genesis).

I'm actually liking the current TomiTapio modifications to Genesis, though I do not hold with all of them.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 07:16:06 pm »

Genesis!
Elf killing werewolves FTW! ;) ;)
At least until i get locked into a room and die of starvation :'(