Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Noob fortress (Baby's first ambush!)  (Read 12162 times)

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob fortress (Miget Idiots!)
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:47 pm »

To make a muddy floor, you have to designate the pond 1 zlvl above the farm, it has to be a hole in the ground so the farm place has to be down there...

but for above ground farming, you just need soil. Any kind of soil will do (and i have readed somewhere that some stone layers muddied will do) but the soil does not need to be muddied, just soil, even with grass...
That green space with trees, chop some down to make space, (b)uild>farm (p)lot design space and its done

Now, to get seeds to plant, you have to make some dwarfs go out there and gather plants, that produces a basic plant, that if you pocess it, eat it, or brew it (not cook) will produce seeds for above ground farm (cook will rend no seeds)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »

If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2010, 11:24:17 am »

To make a muddy floor, you have to designate the pond 1 zlvl above the farm, it has to be a hole in the ground so the farm place has to be down there...

I don't always derp, but when I do, I herp

EDIT: i've had a couple of goblin snatchers before, no kids got took yet, this one decides to lop a recruits arm off. and my doc, INSTEAD of treating his patient, decides to cook. so I deactivate ALL of his jobs except his medical jobs. He decides that he has NO job. A FRACKIN RECRUIT IS BLEEDING OUT AND YOU ARE JUST GONNA LEAVE HIM?!?!?!?

fml

EDIT2: 64 dorfs, 28 of them not doing jack.... FML
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:31:34 pm by Kc_spot »
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »

my doc, INSTEAD of treating his patient, decides to cook. so I deactivate ALL of his jobs except his medical jobs. He decides that he has NO job. A FRACKIN RECRUIT IS BLEEDING OUT AND YOU ARE JUST GONNA LEAVE HIM?!?!?!?
Welcome to wonderful world of hospital bugs. Try closing doctor and patient in one small hospital room with closed door and needed equipment and/or burrowing them both.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2010, 05:18:26 pm »

EDIT2: 64 dorfs, 28 of them not doing jack.... FML
Put them into military or assign siege operating to them. Free time should be spent in the barrack.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Noob fortress (Midget Idiots!)
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2010, 01:51:47 am »

siege operating will only help if you have training catapults.
it doesn't make them go to the barracks.

just assign all your dwarves to squads and they'll just go and train happily.

or build lots of useless pumps and assign them pump operating. then make them PUMP their MUSCLES!

or give them hauling.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »

my fort is too small to do any of that...

my injured guy stopped bleeding.. still alive thank armok

meanwhile a elvish caravan decided to show, bring with them a couple of snatchers and theives.

nothing i havn't scared off before, business as us-

oh shit.

goblin ambush, bout 7 ... my first ever ambush. going to recruit people in a panic. I'll keep yall posted.

they are all archers/bowmen AND MY MILITARY HASN'T DONE SHIT YET!!!

aw man... we fought them off... not before they killed 5 dorfs.... tantrum spiral bracing!!!
no tantrum spirals thankfully. maybe I can get stuff done now... also I now have a mayor... his first madate? Rings. already forfilled too :) life is getting better!

one thing... he needs a cabinet.. but it wont let me assign him one... even when I build it in his room... HOW FIX??
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:35:13 am by Kc_spot »

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Noob fortress (Baby's first ambush!)
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2010, 01:36:10 am »

only 5 dead? You are awesome!  :o
usually people lose at least half their folks to an ambush when they have no military or "siege breaker" to speak of.

good job. now I suggest you start digging trenches (remember to channel AND remove ramps)

(note: occasionally goblin ambushes come in several squads that are "found" individually. just warning you ;))
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2010, 01:39:37 am »

one thing... he needs a cabinet.. but it wont let me assign him one... even when I build it in his room... HOW FIX??
'q' the cab
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2010, 01:59:10 am »

'q' the cab
i've done that multiple times it just shows that it belongs to my squad, even built another cabinet and and STILL wont let me assign it... do I just keep on building cabs till it lets me?

also i DID have a military before but it was only 5 members strong. I assigned more people to the squad and 4 of those died along with a civvy. I redid my military again.. and killed the elf merchants again for practice.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:00:45 am by Kc_spot »

Oh look, A DF blog.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2010, 02:05:20 am »

keep up the good work.

oh, and get some archer dwarves going on! if you need help setting up a shooting range just ask
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

EvilJawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2010, 04:28:12 am »

just put the cabinet in his room and it will show up on his requirements list, and if your making archers be sure to assign them ammo in the military screen under f

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:12 am »

just put the cabinet in his room and it will show up on his requirements list, and if your making archers be sure to assign them ammo in the military screen under f

Yeah, cabinets and chests have to be built in the area assigned to one of the mayor's rooms (bedroom, office, dining room), it doesn't matter which one.  The same for armor racks and so on.  If the cabinet is assigned to a squad then its probably been counted as part of the barracks, so build it in one of your mayor's other rooms, or make the mayor's room somewhere else than the barracks ;)
It counts on the 'n' screen as soon as you mark it for building, even before a dwarf moves it, so you'll know right away if it's in the right place or not.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2010, 01:08:42 pm »

update:

We are getting ready for fall in LaboredLash.

first let me show you the roster.

Oh look, A DF blog.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:52 am »

kay ill just say this... I have a tumblr and i'll use that to update from now on ill post the link in OP

I've decided to use my basement as a housing complex

and my workshop level is getting its walls and roof

I'll have the tumblr up in a moment

Tumblr enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:39:12 am by Kc_spot »

Oh look, A DF blog.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13