Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Noob fortress (Baby's first ambush!)  (Read 12190 times)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Noob fortress (Killing elves for profit!)
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2010, 07:16:40 am »

if you [ b ]uild the cage[ j ] you can let it out. when selecting cage you can press (I think) [ x ] to switch to selecting cages based on inhabitants. Instead of -wooden cage- you'll see -jaguar cage- or something similar.

Also, you might get some trouble defending yourself with that entrance. Currently, someone taking a step inside will see anyone going through the corridor there. For instance a group of goblin archers could make short work of anyone in it before you notice and can do anything about it.

edit: forum messed up my letters in brackets  :(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:23:58 am by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2010, 08:40:06 am »

One thing I notice is your fortress is terribly inefficient hauling-wise. Everyone's first few fortresses are, but keep that in mind for the future.  ;)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Rate my Noob fortress...
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2010, 09:00:20 am »

I have masons make a lot of blocks for training; and will generally enable the masonry skill for all my haulers, then use the workshop profile to require a minimum skill of proficient.
This works for mechanics too, although you don't want all your haulers activated because untrained mechanics are slowwwww. Other skills that benefit from multiple unskilled dwarves are Architecture, Wood Cutting, Tanning, and Pump Operating. I'd also tentatively suggest Dressing Wounds and perhaps Suturing.

But the OP doesn't need to worry too much about that yet, just keep it in mind.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2010, 11:10:19 am »

I think that now, more then before, then D button should clear up a little mistake.

I say again... Shift + D??? What mistake?

Edit:

oh.... that.... ....crap

Edit 2: Wait I'm getting no wagon access everywhere... does this mean no more wagon spawns?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:20:08 am by Kc_spot »
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2010, 11:38:27 am »

Wagons don't spawn in this version anyway (confirmed glitch), but caravans will still prefer to spawn along paths that are wagon accessible.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2010, 11:54:16 am »

so you need to remove a construction (d>n I think) to provide a 3-wide path. it also helps to cut down trees in that path, and even more to build a road. (dirt at least)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2010, 12:00:13 pm »

Wagons don't spawn in this version anyway (confirmed glitch), but caravans will still prefer to spawn along paths that are wagon accessible.
Unless you want to specifically design a path for traders to spawn; for now dont worry about wagon pathing. If you do, remember that they spawn on edge map, they can only go up/down z levels via 3 consecutive ramps and they cannot go through trees.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

VectorSum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2010, 03:30:15 pm »

to everyone worrying about depot access, do we even know that wagons will in fact spawn as of .31.18? for every version up to this point i haven't had a single wagon come

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2010, 03:39:02 pm »

to everyone worrying about depot access, do we even know that wagons will in fact spawn as of .31.18? for every version up to this point i haven't had a single wagon come
They will, in fact, not spawn as of .18.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2010, 04:31:10 pm »

Still, they will spwan again it a later version, so I think its one of the better habbits to get/stay into. I know my trade depo always has a 3*3 ramped hall going to the outside world, and I'll be dammed if I'm going to stop now!

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2010, 09:16:19 pm »

beh Im taking a break from labored lash to experiment with the NEWB world that comes included in the pack... got a volcano... bout 80 z-levels big, 30 from the ground up and 50 below... The room near it will hold my forges... how do i get at the magma w/o burning my dwarfs alive?

note: I should started my noob fortress here but oh well...

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2010, 12:15:54 am »

bumping because I just tried trenching... magma flood, quitted before bad things.. SRSLY HOW I FIX???

Oh look, A DF blog.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2010, 12:29:22 am »

bumping because I just tried trenching... magma flood, quitted before bad things.. SRSLY HOW I FIX???

Watch, see how things work out, try walling off if you think you can act fast enough. Laugh like a mad man.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:58 am »

you are a psychotic little creature aren't you??

Oh look, A DF blog.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2010, 01:16:46 am »

you are a psychotic little creature aren't you??

The worst kind.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13