Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Noob fortress (Baby's first ambush!)  (Read 12169 times)

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
Noob fortress (Baby's first ambush!)
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:41:00 am »

it's now Summer of the first year of my fortress... year 251

floor 1

sub-floor 1

7 dwarfs not counting animals. I have bedrooms up in the lower right as you can see. I also have a carp workshop and a craft workshop. my mason's shop and trade depot are under construction. I plan to drain those 2 lakes on the right into a small brooke to the south, i plan to drain it in such a way that my refuse pile will get swept into the stream as well... I hope. I also hope that the elves don't mind the sewage either :P that massive room to the top right is a stone stockpile. connected to the is my assembly (WIP) then you have the hall in the center, a food storage and a farm on the left, then a spare room which i'm still deciding on what to do with, the workshops then the dwarf bedrooms.

B1 has a simple hallway. dunno what im gonna do there...

so. That's my fort. do I have potential?
what do you suggest I do now?
any other thoughts?

also other noobs creating their first or second true fortress should post here for critiquing.

EDIT: bolded

Catch up with this fort on tumblr!!! Here!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:40:16 am by Kc_spot »
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rate my Noob fortress...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:54:00 am »

It's a bit chaotic, but that's fine. I usually prefer to preplan my whole fort's layout from the beginning so I have fancy designs, catwalks, chasms, and the like, but before you know what you're actually likely to need, not doing such things is fine.

You'll probably find it impossible to actually drain those two murky pools into the stream; there's simply not enough water in them to spread off the maps you've given to the south.

Your next step should probably be a dining room at this point, for added happiness.

Also, you'll get better at this as you get better at the game, but in the future, try making more effective use of z-levels. It's far more efficient to put your stockpiles directly above or below your workshops when possible so your workers have less distance to haul things. It also makes it easier to set exactly what materials your dwarves use most of the time, which is another plus. For maximum efficiency that, generally, means staircases either in the same chamber as the workshops, or directly outside a door from them.

Overall, I think your biggest problems at this point are twofold. First, you're using a tileset and it's making your screenshot a bit difficult to read ( :P), and second, your design on this z-level isn't very extensible. I suspect that you'll have a bit of trouble once you start getting more dwarves to deal with, as you'll probably need to repurpose all of the rooms here, and perhaps even tear them down entirely and rebuild them elsewhere. Also, it looks like your first bedrooms aren't in rock (I can't tell because of the tileset), so you won't be able to smooth them at all. That makes improving bedroom quality much harder.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 01:00:43 am »

gray w/o symbols = dirt. The ones WITH symbols are rock and mineral... the bedrooms will probably be temporary. I'm thinking about building a floor above via stairs and floor-making and putting them up there. that'll give my mason lots to do..

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:08:57 am »

May I recommend a quantum stockpile instead of a giant huge stone stockpile? It's so much easier on the eyes and you don't need to channel out a gigantic room for holding stone. Some consider it cheating, though.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:11:12 am »

>.>
<.<

tell me more...

Oh look, A DF blog.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 01:17:46 am »

Channel a hole in the floor, and set a garbage dump zone ([ i ]) on an adjacent tile.
Then, set a stone stockpile on the level below and mark all stone for dumping. (I suggest doing this in waves, so norm.al work doesn't grind to a halt.)
Your dwarves will dump the stone down the hole, and it will all be on one tile. Then reclaim the stone with [d]->[ b ]->[D].

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 01:24:04 am »

hmm worth a shot... gotta go to bed thoo... as said any newbs who want to show off their forts can post here

Oh look, A DF blog.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 03:27:10 am »

Channel a hole in the floor, and set a garbage dump zone ([ i ]) on an adjacent tile.
Then, set a stone stockpile on the level below and mark all stone for dumping. (I suggest doing this in waves, so norm.al work doesn't grind to a halt.)
Your dwarves will dump the stone down the hole, and it will all be on one tile. Then reclaim the stone with [d]->[ b ]->[D].
This is needlessly complicated.

You don't need to dig a channel hole into the floor. You don't need a stone stockpile for this.

Just make a 1x1 garbage zone (i-g) anywhere you like, mark the rocks for dumping, and off you go.

Yes, they will also dump any other crap that you have marked for dumping into this garbage zone. But they would do the same in your complicated setup.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 03:29:39 am »

Interesting fact: Noob fortresses are THE BEST KIND. Your fortress is bound for fun, and trust me, that is fun, thus the name. Enjoy your noob fortress, as it is more awesome then some of these boring super effecient fortressess.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 05:19:32 am »

Just as a comment on your stone stockpile there.  I understand why you made it so big, I always did too in an attempt to get the ugly loose rock out of my rooms and hallways. 

However whats gonna happen is your masons/forges, which I assume will end up close by, will eat through your stored stone at a serious rate.  The upshot of this is that you will ultimately lose at least 2 dwarves, maybe as many as 5 with a more complex network of forges to permenant hauling of stone to that pile.

Rather than 1 huge pile (as the guys above mention, quantum dumps is the only real way to store stone since it doesnt stack and cant go in bins plus you often have ten thousand units or more) try tiny piles right beside/above/below workshops.

For example my masons shop has a tiny 2x3 stockpile only set to allow obsidian, first it means he tends to use obsidian (higher value) and second it can never tie up more than 6 haulers no matter what.
My forges on the otherhand are surrounded by 7 or 8 such 2x3 piles, each set to only allow 1 specific ore.  Again, keeps distance for the worker to fetch materials down while keeping pile sizes modest.

What you ultimately want to avoid is a position where your haulers cant keep up and leave more and more empty space in the stockpile.  The reason for this is that once thing quieten down, rather than having idlers your entire population will spend 15-20 minutes refilling instead of carrying out important stuff
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:25:40 am »

hmm I dont have that much stone right now through out... I wonder.. can you set multiple dumps for different things? i.e; wood?

Oh look, A DF blog.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 10:37:54 am »

hmm I dont have that much stone right now through out... I wonder.. can you set multiple dumps for different things? i.e; wood?
You could, by toggling on various dumps and making sure you only have one type of thing (wood, stone, rotten meat) at a time, so as not to comingle your dumps.

Frankly, though, it's easier to learn how to build a miasma containment chute, then just mix the stone, rood and such together. The dwarves have no trouble separating the items, so you might as well take advantage of that fact.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 10:43:18 am »

However whats gonna happen is your masons/forges, which I assume will end up close by, will eat through your stored stone at a serious rate.  The upshot of this is that you will ultimately lose at least 2 dwarves, maybe as many as 5 with a more complex network of forges to permenant hauling of stone to that pile.

I really don't have this issue even with four mason shops next to a massive pile of stone.  More importantly, the small stockpiles don't actually seem to fix the issue, either.

Stockpiles do help remove clutter - and yes it's a LOT of hauling, but when I'm cranking out blocks for construction hauling is part of the job, period.  Small stockpiles don't reduce the workload, they just ensure that the mason is spending some of the time hauling as well, when the stockpile runs dry on him.  The only period where there should be fortress-crippling loads of stone hauling is when you establish the stockpile, or if you'd used up all the stone and just given a large mining order.

The masons will use stone at whatever rate they use stone, and your haulers will have to keep up regardless.  Large stockpiles emphasize efficient completion of masonry orders while small stockpiles emphasize keeping the hauling jobs down (and making the mason spend his valuable time hauling instead).

On the other hand... a good argument for small stockpiles (I like 3x3s for single workshops or larger for multi-workshop facilities) is material segregation.  I usually use stockpiles behind lockable doors to sort and store stone by type both to control product color as well as to isolate things like Marble, Obsidian, and other special-use stones so that I can produce demanded items when needed.  I do the same thing for bones/shells/leathers/cloths/gems/metals, etc.

(I also consider quantum piles an exploit, however, so YMMV)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 03:33:27 pm »

Masons making blocks are valuable to you? How bizarre.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 03:40:55 pm »

Well if you take quantum stock piles as an exploit, then stone blocks are the best way to keep your stone in check.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13