Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Noob fortress (Baby's first ambush!)  (Read 12177 times)

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
Re: Rate my Noob fortress...
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:45 pm »

but first better dwarf treapist screenies.. as ordered

EDIT: what, Depot Access?

EDIT2: note to self... I have a admin dwarf that is REALLY good for nothing...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:23:20 pm by Kc_spot »
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 07:24:16 pm »

It should be cool, just havee him to some nobles job, like broker, or record keeping.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »

NATIVE PLATINUM!! YEE HAAA  :D :D :D

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2010, 08:27:53 pm »

Does that imply magnetite? Because personally I get more exited about the magnetite clump...

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2010, 08:50:36 pm »

I think I already got that... also LNP 6.0... yay... already DL'ed and up and running...

Oh look, A DF blog.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2010, 09:08:06 pm »

no I dont.. but I got so much gabbro and gold nuggets it's embarrassing...

Oh look, A DF blog.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2010, 10:02:18 pm »

nearly hit a oh shit moment... maybe am in one...

forgot that my brewer stopped brewing becuase of no barrels!!  everyone is thirsty I got him back on it... hopfully in time..

also i got my first mood, an engraver... let see what happens... claimed a crafts shop, and grabbed 3 peices of grabbro
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:09:17 pm by Kc_spot »

Oh look, A DF blog.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2010, 10:11:36 pm »

KC, you can modify your last post if there's no good reason for double posting. Your fort also lack a doctor despite being relatively large. Assigning one guy as chief dwarf doesnt make him a doc, you also need to enable healcare jobs on him as well. You maybe would want  to start working on your metal industry and make some weapons to fend for yourself. Ambush is probably imminent.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2010, 10:15:32 pm »

Too true... already got someone working on copper stuff... I need to make iron down the road... i'll make a room a hospital...

edit: BAH! a gabbro amulet...   hes a master stone detailer now...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:23:19 pm by Kc_spot »

Oh look, A DF blog.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2010, 11:18:09 pm »

I don't even know how to MAKE a bridge...
[ b]uild brid[g]e

Then you use the [ u], [m], [h], and [k] keys to alter the size of the bridge, and the [w], [a], [ s], [d], and [ x] keys to alter its function. [ x] [ s] is the default and is a retracting bridge, and the other four keys control the raising direction. Where it says 'raises ->', that means that when the bridge goes up the solid portion of it will be on the right-most edge. Same thing for the other directions. Then you select your materials (uses the standard +-*/ to move through list). Quick note: a retracting bridge can be built without a floor underneath any of its tiles, but a raising bridge must be anchored by placing its raising tiles (the dark green ones) over a floor.

Then you need an architect to come along and design it and bring the materials to the site. If you haven't got any dwarves with Architect / Building Designer enabled, enable a mason and make sure your bridge is made of stone. That way there's a mason dwarf right next to the bridge when the 'build bridge' job is activated.

Edit: wrong key given.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:40:08 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2010, 11:32:08 pm »

kay ill look in to it... first off. my first round of beds have been made... several kabolds and snatcher tried getting in.. no avail couldn't kill em either my dwarfs are as slow as hell... also elf caravan...

Oh look, A DF blog.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2010, 11:46:00 pm »

Not too bad for a first serious fortress.  I am sure you will soon have plenty of Fun.

My overall design suggestion goes something like this.
3x5 entrance, or 5x3, whichever is a more pleasant hillside  I will stick with XxY for the rest of the description though.
Put some traps in there and a 3x1 drawbridge in the middle.
Then a 7x7 area for the depot.
Follow that up with a 3x10 hallway. Again some traps and a drawbridge, they should be on the depot side.
Off that 3x10 hallway carve a barracks area 9x9 with a 2x3 entranceway.  The entrance for it should be past the inner drawbridge.

Everything else can grow organically.  Other then the entrance you have I think your doing great.

I tend to plop mason and mechanic shops directly in the area of the stones I need to use up.  Then I remove the workshops when the region is cleared.  No hauling except for finished products.

I have masons make a lot of blocks for training; and will generally enable the masonry skill for all my haulers, then use the workshop profile to require a minimum skill of proficient.  This lets the haulers be the ones building the walls and floors that use up the blocks.  New workshops go up as I expand, get set for the proper masons, and then the masons are moved to the new area, and haulers spend time building with the blocks from the old area.

Mechanisms generally end up being dumped if they are below a certain quality.  It is important to have a good item destroying refuse area, either a magma vent/reservoir or an atom smasher.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2010, 11:57:52 pm »

good points!  :D I'll those in mind... also I killed the elf caravan... teach you not to accept my goods! problem, I killed them before they got to leave.. but they "embarked"... what now?

EDIT: nvm the dwarfs are claiming their items now! eheheheh

Edit 2: I have a tame jaguar... to bad I cant train it... its in a cage... should i fish it out?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:13:53 am by Kc_spot »

Oh look, A DF blog.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
Re: Noob fortress (Killing elves for profit!)
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2010, 01:35:12 am »

Labored lash second year mid-summer

Digging proect complete... added a big room in the first sub level... also..

I think my dwarfs got some good training in...

sleep time now...

Oh look, A DF blog.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Noob fortress (Killing elves for profit!)
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2010, 01:38:51 am »

I think that now, more then before, then D button should clear up a little mistake.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13