Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Noob fortress (Baby's first ambush!)  (Read 12161 times)

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
Re: Rate my Noob fortress...
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 10:35:54 pm »

There HAS to be a way to get rid of it... sans hacking script
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »

Now the poisen will hang around forever, killing those exposed to it for to long, so even trying to reembark is impossible. At this point you should see how much longer you can maintain your fort, its realy hard, and therefor fun.
No it doesnt. Expose the rotting corpse to sunlight (basically, dump it) and miasma stop. Miasma also doesnt cause any health problem, just unhappiness.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 10:40:43 pm »

I saw that afterwards..

it also goes away on it's own... you all love torturing me so... don't you?

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 10:40:56 pm »

Now the poisen will hang around forever, killing those exposed to it for to long, so even trying to reembark is impossible. At this point you should see how much longer you can maintain your fort, its realy hard, and therefor fun.
No it doesnt. Expose the rotting corpse to sunlight (basically, dump it) and miasma stop. Miasma also doesnt cause any health problem, just unhappiness.

SHHhhHHhh, your killing the poor guy's fun. Do you want him to miss out on the adventure of not knowing what to do?

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 10:49:40 pm »

OH IT'S A ADVENTURE ALL RIGHT...

I hardly expect this all to go according to plan any way... Traders have not arrived yet... and I only have I unit of coke to make fuel for gold bar making... Oh I hit a healthy gold vein while back.

Oh look, A DF blog.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 10:53:28 pm »

You could try setting the wood pile on fire, and having it burn itself into coal, saves the effort of making a dwarf do it.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »

not EVEN gonna try... even if the result IS hilarious... I want this to work and setting of a potential wildfire doesn't seem very productive...

Oh look, A DF blog.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 12:35:02 am »

A wood furnace can convert logs into Charcoal, which is a suitable fuel for your furnaces and forges.
In addition, if you build a furnace, you can use either form of fuel there to convert bituminous coal or lignite into more coke. The end product is more coke than it takes to fire the furnace.

Although, considering you apparently had a block of coke, I guess you probably knew that. :-\ Unless you embarked with the coke. Then I suppose you wouldn't... [/ramble]

edit: Careful about using the stream to wash your refuse pile away. Dwarves put bony remains and untanned hides in it, both of which are able to be used.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:36:35 am by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2010, 01:52:34 am »

kay 1st of opal here in Laboredlash...

A. moved everyone downstairs. B. STILL dunno what to do with the big room in the upper right... dug out some of that flux stone south-east of the fort.

here i've added a wood furnence, a smelter, and i'm adding a metalworks soon (I hope). my population has incresed to 17 a while back. I got the wood burn guy making charcoal, and smelter is getting rid of the gold nuggets in favor of bars. Question how do I make my flux stone metal? (I bet smelter :/ ) I'll update once more for the new spring season... OH plump helmets being farmed non stop... How do I make trees? what herbs SHOULD i plant now?

That bout sums it up

Oh look, A DF blog.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2010, 01:55:59 am »

You will need a pit of lava to drop metal and stones in for flux metals, or have a dragon breath on them...

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2010, 01:58:02 am »

AHHA DIG FROM THE ROOM TO SCOUT FOR MAGMA!! *runs off*

Oh look, A DF blog.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2010, 01:58:47 am »

I just love first fortresses...

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2010, 02:05:01 am »

putting that plan on hold...

"I need fire safe anvils" AND WHAT THOSE ANVILS I BOUGHT FROM THE MERCHANTS ARE MADE OF LEAVES? *sigh* How can I get my crap from the trade depot after merchants have left??? T_T

Oh look, A DF blog.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2010, 04:57:35 am »

either dump it all or make shitloads of stockpiles

btw Max White is mostly kidding. actually, if you want, follow his advice. but SAVE first. what he describes are some hard-to-do things that can bring great rewards ;)

have fun! (btw are you using the lazy newb pack?)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2010, 10:33:33 am »

Thats the thing I cant dump it... and I set up some stockpiles.. nothing. I have weapons out there... gold nuggets... :s

second: "fun" rewards? :D

third: CAUGHT! also dwarf therapist is the greatest thing ever.

Oh look, A DF blog.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13