Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 315935 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.13.04
« Reply #360 on: May 19, 2012, 12:13:06 pm »

Have you thought about implementing it as a web server? You could still generate HTML (although I think you're using IE control for the 'heavy lifting' right?) but it would be cross platform.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15:26 pm »

Have you thought about implementing it as a web server? You could still generate HTML (although I think you're using IE control for the 'heavy lifting' right?) but it would be cross platform.

Uh... what?  The web server ap itself would be written for a platform, so it would not be "cross platform".  If you're suggesting that he host a site for that, then that's just expensive, slow, and mostly unnecessary, considering that anyone who can run Dwarf Fortress should be able to run Legends Viewer on those same platforms, though some Windows emulation may be necessary for Linux and Mac.  If you're talking about people running it locally written in PHP or something, then people would have to install a web server on their own machines before they could use it, which again is more complicated than necessary.

Also, displaying HTML isn't really the "heavy lifting".  That would be the processing, sorting, and searching of the data, which wouldn't be done by the IE control at all (if that's what he's using).
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 20, 2012, 06:38:04 pm »

Some things could be useful, in my opinion :

- Family trees
- Maps when selecting historical figures. Some are always wandering, and it could be possible/interesting to see where they are going, and what are they doing in each place.
- Integrating hamlet/towns/fortress maps

Family trees will happen at some point, but not anytime soon. Some of the ideas I have for the trees require me to rework some of the interface first.

Mapping historical figures I have thought about, but never actually tried. The best I could probably do with the current data is show where and when historical figures have settled and probably battles they were involved in on the map.

No way currently to utilize any maps that are more detailed than the world maps.

At one point I had thought about trying to build some sort of app that would serve the html pages to any browser to use. Its probably doable for the HTML pages, but for the map I wouldn't have a clue how to get that running in a browser. Overall it would just complicate things that don't need to be. Hopefully in the near future I will start working on rendering the legend pages with winform controls rather than HTML, which should solve a lot of issues and make it easier to port to linux/mac under mono.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »

Family trees will happen at some point, but not anytime soon. Some of the ideas I have for the trees require me to rework some of the interface first.

Sadface :( But I'm happy to know this is still being actively developed. It's one of a handful of apps I couldn't play DF without these days. Thank you for your hard work!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 08, 2012, 05:46:57 pm »

Damnit! Forced to run on a mac. Any ideas?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 08, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 08, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

Should have mentioned that I already tried wine on it. Just closes when I do.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 08, 2012, 09:17:26 pm »

Oh.

No idea then.

Wait, requires .net

Have you tried with Mono?

* Japa does not actually own a mac, so doesn't know what does or doesn't work. Has just heard things here and there.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 12, 2012, 03:11:22 pm »

Does the Legends viewer support viewing details about abandoned forts? I abandoned once when I was under siege and once when I was not under siege. Any time I try to access information about my fort, or wars about my fort, the Legends viewer stuffs up and any other action throws an exception error. I would upload a save if I could.

Thank you for this piece of work, it's interesting to see how world generation history actually works/looks. Thank you.

Also is there a quick way to see which civilization is at war with whom at any time during the world gen phase? Apologies if I'm too silly to understand.
-Rick

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2012, 07:34:07 am »

Damnit! Forced to run on a mac. Any ideas?

No way to get it to work right now. For it to work on Mac there is a lot of changes that I need to make.

Does the Legends viewer support viewing details about abandoned forts? I abandoned once when I was under siege and once when I was not under siege. Any time I try to access information about my fort, or wars about my fort, the Legends viewer stuffs up and any other action throws an exception error. I would upload a save if I could.

Thank you for this piece of work, it's interesting to see how world generation history actually works/looks. Thank you.

Also is there a quick way to see which civilization is at war with whom at any time during the world gen phase? Apologies if I'm too silly to understand.
-Rick

I've been able to look at abandoned forts in the past. If I could get the save to look over I can get a fix for it. The civilization pages list all the wars they were involved in with starting and ending years. You can also toggle wars on the map and scroll through the active year to view the battles that take place by year as well.

------

I have a question for you guys. I can't decide on what I want to work on next. I want to either replace the current HTML generated pages with proper application controls or work on Family Tree stuff. Here is what would possibly come out of these two options:

Replacing the HTML pages:
    -Normal application controls would allow for a better layout of information instead of a bunch of lists down a page.
    -Better performance for large worlds.
    -A step towards Mac/Linux support.
    -Overall would provide more information in an easier to view format and would make browsing through data easier.

Family Tree Stuff:
    -Possibly graphs similar to this or the generic looking family tree graphs most are familiar with.
    -Families tab that would allow for searching based on stats.

Right now I'm leaning towards the families, mainly because it is a smaller sized task. I think replacing the HTML pages is more important, but its going to be a lot of work and something that I could probably lose focus on pretty easily.

I've slowly been pecking away at my todo list lately and will maybe have a release for that this weekend. After that I'm wanting to spend more time working on this, hopefully on one of the two features above.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:36:27 am by Parker147 »

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2012, 12:57:11 pm »

I vote for Family Tree Stuff. Maybe you should make a poll?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 14, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »

All for the family stuff myself.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2012, 12:48:29 am »

Family tree.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2012, 01:32:10 am »

I concur, the Family Tree stuff.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 15, 2012, 01:48:37 am »

Family, yes.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 44