Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: Legends Viewer 1.13 (v40 Compatible)  (Read 315868 times)

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.09.2 (Historical Map)
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2011, 08:30:22 am »

yep, re-export didnt work
then i tried again, and it was fine.
also i exported for a few other worlds, seems there is somewhat a slight chance DF messes up files.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2011, 11:44:23 am »

Interesting thing that I discovered; although not worthy of its own topic:

This is an ode to LegendsViewer! Makes my life so much easier, as I would have continued to delve deep into the time-consuming Legends Mode. This utility, well, it at least makes it more of a leisure...

I genned a Medium-sized region up to anno 1050 and created and elf adventurer, seeing as they were the most numerous and dominant. Funny thing is, that I ended up quite far from my civilization I chose. The Glowing Lark was located in the centrum of the world, yet I appeared in a remote human civ near the north-eastern edge. I was a "devoted member" of both The Glowing Lark, and The Glittery Confederacy, the human civ! Double nationality ftw! Is this normal? I am positive that this hamlet has never even been attacked by any other civ. My elf's civilizations once had a brief war about 500 years ago, which lasted for 5-6 years. Can you see in any way how different civilizations see eachother? (BTW, my DF is completely vanilla, except for that I changed elves, dwarves, kobolds and goblins to build towns.

One more thing; It seems as if The Glittery Confederacy are this games first colonists! They founded a fortress on the other end of the world anno 198, with no settlements in between! The settlers seemed to just beeline to the other end of the world and founded a city there xD They built settlements from that settlement, culminating in the late 210's. One colonist founded a city in 212 only to meet that special someone and moving in with her, "back in the old country". He travelled back to the homeland in 225.

Oh!
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »

I can't believe I didn't have this thought earlier.

Really good thing to add to the next version: Command Line

It would be nice if you could run the program with an argument on the command line, specifying which file to open.  Like so:

Code: [Select]
LegendsViewer.exe -xml "c:\program files\Dwarf Fortress\region1-legends.xml"
The program could then do what it normally does, searching for the rest of the files to import, and if it can't figure out which ones, just keeping that file loaded into the box and prompt you as normal for the others.  Otherwise, if it can find all the files with it's searching algorithm, to just start loading the file.

It'd be a minor feature really... but would allow for one to set up a "send to..." shortcut and streamline loading the files into LegendsViewer even further.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2011, 10:38:40 pm »

I'm replying so I can look at this later. Looks like an amazing program.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.10 (War Map + More)
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2011, 04:22:09 pm »

War / Battle Maps
   Now you can see how civs are losing sites in wars. A useful thing to note is if you are viewing a specific war on the map, you can still using the "Toggle Wars" button and it will show other wars waged by or on the Attacker/Defender so you can see if one of the civs is engaged in multiple wars.

Heat Map Overlays
   Some different options here for displaying frequencies of events and populations. The "Site Events (Filtered)" option is used in conjunction with the events tab under sites so you can do some custom overlays

Alternate Maps
   Been wanting to have some sort of ability to view some of the other detailed maps so now its possible to load an extra map to be displayed ontop of the base map. Slider at the bottom appears so you can adjust transparency. Made changes to archive reading so multiple maps can be in the same archive and a dialog will be displayed to make your choice.

Tab Control
   Tabs are a bit different now, you can drag and drop them to rearange them and each have individual close buttons. Might expand more upon this later and have the possibility to spawn seperate windows. Wasn't able to give the middle mouse button the ability to open new tabs. I did throw in the ability to use the back/forward buttons on the mouse though.

Command Line
   Just feed it the XML or an archive and it will load the files. You could also setup your archives with custom file extensions and have windows associate those archives with the viewer.

So with heat maps you can see where events are happening, next I want to see when events are happening so next release I'll probably throw together some graphs for that. I need to look into Beast Attacks again since I'm sure there is some interesting things to work with there. I kept putting it off because I didn't like the incompleteness of them in the XML, but I think I can still get them to be viewable. Need to also look into mapping historical figure travels and battles they took place in.

Also have and idea for another little program that I might play around with and if isn't too difficult I might work on it some too.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2011, 05:03:42 pm »

Wow, I'm loving this new version.  Too bad about the middle-click not working but everything else looks awesome.  And thanks for the basic command line importing feature.  That really streamlines my whole process here.

I wouldn't be able to do what I've been doing with this game without your utility.  I couldn't stare at the DOS-like Legends Mode window for long enough to come out with anything important.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2011, 06:48:20 pm »

Keep up the good work, man

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.10.1 (War Map + More)
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2011, 08:13:01 pm »

Little fix. Couple things on the map hover menu that were bugging me, also made some changes to the battle info in the hover menu so hopefully its easier to read at a glance and has a little more info.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2011, 05:40:10 am »

Very nice. I was about to undertake writing a tool to parse the Legends files, but then I saw that it had already been made :D

One main issue. On my laptop, the main display seems to be behind the left sidebar a little. The left edge of all the text is cut off, which really sucks.

Other than that, what would be really nice is if the civilizations' icons were their symbol and colours as they are in the game. I'm guessing that data doesn't get exported, though, or you'd probably have done it already.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2011, 07:02:30 am »

Not sure I'm picturing whats going on with the display, but if text is getting cut off and the entire window is fitting on your screen it sounds like Internet Explorer might be doing something weird. Since the pages are displayed with the Internet Explorer you have on your computer and it's settings will effect how pages are displayed in viewer there could be some settings in IE that's causing it happen or something wrong in general with IE and needs a new version.

Yeah none of the in game civ icons are exported in any way. Even if they were I'm not sure I would replace the current icons with them because they don't have any color organization. I like being able to distinguish the race of a civ just by the color.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2011, 02:49:49 am »

Here's what it looks like for me: http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee447/ASERghsrhtdsrsth/legendsviewer.png. It looks wacky aside from zoominess - the IE frame isn't filling the screen. It doesn't fill it if I set to lower resolution either.

Changing the zoom settings in IE then restarting Legends Viewer doesn't alter the display. It's IE 8.

Personally, I like the idea of a civ's icon being more prominent. But I guess it's a moot point if it's not exported anyway :)

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer 1.10.2 (War Map + More)
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2011, 08:15:56 am »

Looks like a problem on my part, so much for trying to blame it on IE. Wasn't able to reproduce it, but changed some things that I hope fixes it. While trying to reproduce that I found out that the command line loading didn't work very well so that should be working now.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2011, 09:52:29 pm »

Excellent! That's done it! Thanks very much :D

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2011, 10:01:32 am »

Getting better all the time.  I use this program extensively especially during Adventure mode.  Now, with all the interesting things beefing up that mode coming in the next release, this prog. will be even more useful.  Very big thanks.
  I'm curious about that 'other little program'... any hints?
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:17 pm »

I converted GFXiNXS's Map Maker to a GIMP script so I could use the maps in the viewer. Was originally going to make a program that did it but figured the script was the best and it is simple enough to use. Still some things I would like to add to it and need to verify if it actually resembles the in-game biomes so that it's accurate and not just a nicer looking map.

I've got some charts working in the viewer for the next release and will probably have time to get it finished this weekend.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44