Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Probably the best companion I'd dare to ask for.  (Read 2241 times)

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Probably the best companion I'd dare to ask for.
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:59 am »

I should start with the background.

It's a Medium-genned world to year 550 that uses Genesis. With it comes a lot of variations from vanilla; orcish empires being one of them. The Poetic Empires is one of two orcish civilizations, I think. I started out as a demigod katana-wielding Orc and toured the countryside for quests of fame and glory. The Poetic Empires lie in the south-west corner of the world, a sunscarred peninsula of prairies. As I travelled Id' learn that the peninsula was hardly only under orcish control. "Keepers", i.e. common humans, controlled a large part of it, and the only real tangible orcish presence was several hamlets and some towns on the isthmus of the peninsula. There were also some ezrakim elf civilization on the southern edge of it, and the northern part was a wasteland. (Where I happened to find a proper cave with connection to the underground! Yoy!)

Talking with the keepers who I quickly got friendly with, I learned that their capital didn't even lie on the peninsula itself, but far east on the mainland. Hm... Wierd. That they would expand so unexpectedly. But anyways, I digress!

A lot of stuff is strange in this world, I'd learn as a made it east to the mainland. On the mainland there is supposed to exist a demonic (goblin-esque) civilization that the orcish Poetic Empires have warred against ad infinitum. Really, the Legends tell only of incredible victories on the orcish side.
I don't think I saw a town, hamlet or village that wasn't completely devoid of life. Ghost towns, really! There were fortresses, though. I remembered that one was empty of sapient life, but that warthogs and other animals lived inside the walls. One was full of naked wrestlers that kept spawning ex nihilo, but that wasn't unique for that region. I saw a fortress like that on the peninsula, but with keepers. Some fortresses had been overtaken by a snakeman civ with its capital far to the north. They were very happy to give me assassination quests on the other snakeman lords in the area. I think they said something about "Sometimes animals just get out of control." Nice.

After looking through Legends and world sites.txt. it seems as if the demon civ have been attacked and pillaged over 9000 times, much owing to The Poetic Empires. If I'm reading the txt. correctly, there is only 25 demons left in this civilization. And I think I've already killed three of them in one of their hidden dark fortresses.

One peculiar thing popped up. The Poetic Empires are apparently holding two prisoners. Both of them demonic. I made my way back to Steamward, a fortress that held one of them. Seemingly normal fort. Orc warriors abound, I made my way into the main building. One orcish axeman, one orcish lord, and one... dark elven prisoner! Cool! But she flashed the same way that the lord did, oddly enough. I talked first to the lord, who behaved as an orc of his stature should. Return quest, get another, yay. The prisoner told me that her name was Ozud Wickedcontain, Prisoner. When I asked her about her profession she told me she was general. *The* General of The Poetic Empires, who've warred against the demons since time immemorial. The irony was tangible. She also asked me for help to get away from here, to which I responded by running out of the fortress as quickly as I could. To my surprise, she stood outside of the fortress entrance, as if waiting for me. I shit you not, it was as if she teleported! I think she want me to take her with me...

I saved and jumped into Legends mode. She was born roughly 100 years ago. Because of the demonic law-givers incapability to survive for longer than five seconds she became the law-giver 20 years ago. The same year her home fortress got attacked by a dwarven civilization. She led the defenders, and lost. She was imprisoned by The Poetic Empires though, also in the same year. They were 5 leopards, 5 black bears and 200 orcs...
The demonic civ has been at war with the dwarves and orcs for 450 years.

So, uh, yeah. I'd hoped it'd be a pretty cool story, bro. Then again, it's not exactly verbous nor fictious. Hm. Well, further input on what I should do now is greatly appreciated! :D If anyone's interested I'll post the seeds and params (Y)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:20:47 am by Dagoth Urist »
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Probably the best companion I'd dare to ask for.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:14:54 pm »

Wait, she's general of the poetic orcs, but also law-giver for the demonic civ? And she's an elf? What?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 02:49:24 pm »

Dark elf, as a matter of fact :P Sadly, all she wears is a kimono and a black steel carving knife :/ Quite vurnerable, if I may so...

I just discovered something fantastic! There was another demonic prisoner somewhere in The Poetic Empires. I brought my companion with me to the grand capital, Spiritchasms. There was the prisoner, a goblin. Surprise, surprise! He, Osnun Hailcurse, was the emperor of the Poetic Empires. Used to be the law-giver of the demon civ, several years before the dark elf woman was. He was imprisoned the same year, and probably moment, as he ascended to the throne. Year 310, that is. He became emperor in 372. Today the year is 550... He's been around for a long time... xD He has appointed 16 nobles "as a matter of course" during his reign.

So yeah. I let him join me! I have the leader of my civilization with me on my journeys! AWESOME!
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:30:26 pm »

another demonic prisoner...the emperor of the Poetic Empires....law-giver of the demon civ...he ascended to the throne...He became emperor in 372
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:22:19 pm »

It's pretty much goblin Cacame.

So yeah.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:34 am »

I am now versed on the legend. Did I reaally need to know that? Philosophical question.
Badges of honor

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:40:37 am »

It's not just a goblin Cacame! I can bring him with me... and stuff. Yeah.
No, you did not need to know that, I suppose... But do you really need to know anything? Philosophical answer.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:14:51 am by Dagoth Urist »

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:24:35 am »

The question is, does her awesomeness give her the skills to not suck with her knife?
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:32:08 am »

Well they must have toss both of them in jail for breaking a noble rule.
Either way those two beats out my idea of having a giant spider as a companion.
Dang I should have pick up that deon's mod sooner.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:06:41 am »

Actually, they both suck horrendously. Both got trampled to death by gazelles xD My adventurer coped by swimming in tears to a small-ish island with a one city civ. Every single tile of the island except the city held a cave, lair or camp. Fun times I thought, and got my brains scratched out by an ettin. Hmph! The forgotten beast law-giver of the island held the title of "queen". Her name was Frilla the Subordinate King, ironically enough xD

But , I digress.  :P

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:21 am »

Not quite a Cacame story, because the dark elf is just a caste of the goblins in Genesis, so you should really think of it as the goblin general of the orcs.
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:18:33 pm »

But what you should really ask yourself is, is it reaally even possible to know anything? Philosophical question.
Badges of honor

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 05:39:05 pm »

According to Heisenberg, not really. Scientific answer.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »

Actually, you can know a lot, it's just that there's a limit.  You can pretty easily say "it's near here going about this fast", but not any more than that.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 08:11:40 pm »

Actually, you can know a lot, it's just that there's a limit.  You can pretty easily say "it's near here going about this fast", but not any more than that.
Or you can say "It is right here but I have no frickin clue how fast its going." or  "Its going this fast.  You want to know where it is?  Don't ask me..."
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: [1] 2