Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixed ribs & teeth mod: Kael's mod SCIENCE thread- Kicking OP/blunt damage fixed  (Read 1736 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

I can't really play DF, don't have time for it. But I have some time to play around with text files. So first in my series of mini-mods for DF and assorted modding SCIENCE! where I screw up all the numbers in DF to break it make it better.

Fixed number of ribs and teeth mod: This mod removes the defunct NUMBER tag from body_default and I manually added and named every tooth and rib as Toady intended. Now you have more than 6 teeth and ribs. (Jaw and navel not included, that is from my complex body mod to come later) As an "bonus" side effect, this makes blunt weapons much more powerful as the chance of jamming a rib through the heart/lungs/liver is much higher.

In the works:
Complex body mod - Do unspeakable things to people with the most complex DF bodies ever created. Also makes a trip to a night creature's lair particularly gruesome. Pickled testes and dried wombs composed of uterus tissue anyone?
- Hit someone in the lower body hard enough and they will crap their pants.
Arsenal mod - more, race specific, and balanced weapons for vanilla DF
Specialty poisons mod - DF could use more nasty syndromes and poisons
Speech flavour mod
Updated community combat balance overhaul - the first mod to fix DF .31's strange combat behaviour will get a facelift to continue the tradition of combat balance with specific testing and numbers.
Updated Samurai mod
Diablo mod: in conjunction with T. - DF Diablo total conversion
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:37:55 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile

DLing and installing right this instant.
Looking forward to your other mods, we'll finally be able to eat poo in adventurer! (it's an adventurous thing to do, right?)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On a side note with more testing from friends, the addition of proper number of ribs absolutely fixes blunt combat and makes blunt weapons much more viable. It leads to a higher frequency of ribs being shattered into heart/liver/lungs causing swift death.

Knocking the skull into the brain isn't the only way to kill anymore.

EDIT: Kicking is OP.

I know there was a post on kicking being overpowered and we laughed it off as horses kicking in dwarves skulls, but I will post the numbers and test results in a bit.

With full armor that is impenetrable by swords and axes wielded by a legendary
fighter and sword/axe user glancing off every attack, a dabbling kicker can bruise the brain through the skull and kill someone instantly. I believe this has to do with kicking being hardcoded blunt damage with a very small contact area/high velocity modifier.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:28:29 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I will be watching this topic. It's cool that fixing ribs fixes another common complaint.

Not quite at the scale of kicking but punching seems a little powerful also; Not many could punch someone in the head jamming the skull through the brain. In fist fights between unskilled humans this is not uncommon.

Edit: Hitting someone in the head with bare fists should cause pain to the attacker.

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not quite at the scale of kicking but punching seems a little powerful also; Not many could punch someone in the head jamming the skull through the brain. In fist fights between unskilled humans this is not uncommon.
Yes, this is addressed by the complex body mod. The main problem is that skulls have a small RELSIZE as Toady remarked to give skulls a notion of hollowness, but it affects gameplay by making skulls very small. As a result they are easily crushed into the brain body part, which is always fatal. Making the skull RELSIZE larger fixes this issue somewhat. I've used numbers between 50 and 80 instead of the default 20.

However, upping the skull relsize does nothing to fix the problem that if punching people's skulls in is OP, kicking does even more damage, regularly shattering bones with no kicking skill or at dabbling. This is hard to notice with humanoids because their default MAIN attack is punching, and they only kick if they get opportunity strikes, but is very apparent with animals such as horses and elephants which only use KICK attacks.

You can test this by taking control of a humanoid in arena mode, and have them aim kick once. Going back to the arena with "C" and watch the battle unfold. The humanoid you took control over will use their last attack, so they will keep kicking. The win ratio is about 90% between unskilled fighters, and normally because the other decided to punch/kick the head as well.

KICK damage is hardcoded, but you can have the kick attack use the PUNCH attack tag instead and that would weaken the attack to less-obscene levels.

The handy thing about the rib mod is now this allows ribs to be jabbed into the other organs as mentioned, resulting in other ways of death besides skull shattering.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:40:19 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This looks killin' (heh). Any chance this can be combined with this equally !!SCIENCE!!-y tissue rebalance mod written by a medical student?

Edit: The answer is yes, since this mod only changes body_default, and the other one changes tissue_template_default.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:57:48 am by Hummingbird »
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

Arsenal mod - more, race specific, and balanced weapons for vanilla DF
Specialty poisons mod - DF could use more nasty syndromes and poisons
It'd be nice if you elaborate on these so I steel ideas from it >:D
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.