Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Planetside 2: F2P MMOFPS. I highly recommend you get excited about it.  (Read 13126 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: PLANETSIDE 2!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 11:04:19 pm »

It was about £7 a month i think for Planetside when I was there (daddy paid for it :))

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:08:12 pm »

Tabula Rasa was Subscription and died, Age of Conan was subscription and died, DDO, LotR, et al went F2P.  Eve is the only one I can think of that I'm pretty sure is doing well, WAR and Aion have been server merging and stuff which doesn't say good things about the playerbase.
Shoes...

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 11:13:17 pm »

All I know is, microtransactions basically make games pointless for me.  If I play a game I want to own it.  Microtransactions mean even if you pay a crapload of money you still don't actually own the game, just little bits and pieces.  I personally like the system, say, Runescape, uses.  I have no idea about the games like LoTRO, so maybe they do use that sort of a system and not...microtransations...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 11:18:35 pm »

Not going to get my hopes up.  This is SOE after all.  They have a knack for creating great games, and then ruining them.  In this day and age they'll probably just skip the first step.  It'll doubtless be missing all the little bits and pieces that made planetside different while maintaining only the broadest possible similarities and making the rest just like some other game.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 11:22:42 pm »

Because then your competing with WoW

I wasn't aware that FPS MMOs compete with RPG MMOs on the basis of having a lunch-cost per month subscription.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 11:31:44 pm »

All I know is, microtransactions basically make games pointless for me.  If I play a game I want to own it.  Microtransactions mean even if you pay a crapload of money you still don't actually own the game, just little bits and pieces.  I personally like the system, say, Runescape, uses.  I have no idea about the games like LoTRO, so maybe they do use that sort of a system and not...microtransations...

You don't own any MMO, so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 11:32:55 pm »

Because then your competing with WoW

I wasn't aware that FPS MMOs compete with RPG MMOs on the basis of having a lunch-cost per month subscription.

Yeah, I mean, I've paid for Planetside, I have never paid for WoW.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44:20 pm »

You don't own any MMO, so I'm not sure what you're going on about.
How do you know this?  I own WoW, CoH, and Guild Wars.  As well as Lost Saga, if you want a game that uses microtransactions.  I'm not even sure how not owning any MMOs would make a difference to my point, even if it were true.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:46:09 pm by Kitsunin »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 05:11:23 am »

They should do F2P basic infantry class that can only shoot people and sub for anything cool.

Gives plenty of fodder. I'll be checking this game out regardless
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 05:38:58 am »

You don't own WoW. You don't own any game you've purchased, if you want to be technical about it. What you paid for is a license to use the game software (Read the licenses (on actual commercial games) sometime). In the case of WoW you also have to pay a subscription fee.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:43:42 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 05:44:21 am »

You don't own WoW. You don't own any game you've purchased, if you want to be technical about it. What you paid for is a license to use the game software (Read the licenses (on actual commercial games) sometime). In the case of WoW you also have to pay a subscription fee.
Well obviously...do you really need to point out the obvious?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 05:48:46 am »

Gasp! You have discovered my secret superhero identity! Expeditious Retreat Through Obvious Escape Route!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 06:11:42 am »

Tabula Rasa was Subscription and died, Age of Conan was subscription and died, DDO, LotR, et al went F2P.  Eve is the only one I can think of that I'm pretty sure is doing well, WAR and Aion have been server merging and stuff which doesn't say good things about the playerbase.

Not to speak ill of the dead but, those games were/aren't very good. I played Tabula Rasa the moment it came out and between the rocky start, the idioticly long development time, the zero day bugs. The horribly balanced solo-quests (god damn spiders) and the fact that the game felt stale after level 14 (out of 40) .... Man, I never even got to visit Post-Apoc-Earth. It just felt unfinished, up until they pulled the plug. Also: Kind of clunky and not very FPShooty. (Or even thirdpersonshooty).

Still, beating mobs to death by pistol whipping them? Gold. We need more of that.

Also it wasn't that TR didn't make any money, it just did not make enough money quick enough to recuperate the costs it took to develop it. And we're talking about a game that was SCRAPPED twice before the finished Magnum Opus finally rolled out, hungover and without its pants on. Shortsighted companies being what they are decided to simply can the whole thing, sell off what they could and feast on the delicious sweetmeats. While holding the IP indefinately 'just in case'.

But f*ck'em. Hope the massive MMO Orphanage that is SOE don't fuck this up too. MORE VEHICLES AND TEAM BASED COMBAT FOR ALL! ALL HAIL THE NEW CONGLOMERATE VANU SOVEREIGNTY!
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 06:30:14 am »

Conglomerate? Sovereignty? Enjoy your oppressive regimes, I'm going with the Terran Republic, clearly the most focused on liberty.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 06:39:10 am »

Well taste my lasher then, traitorous scum.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11