Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Planetside 2: F2P MMOFPS. I highly recommend you get excited about it.  (Read 13080 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: PLANETSIDE 2: Check the last post for awesome new trailer.
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2011, 07:31:17 pm »

I'm pretty excited for it. So long as they keep any "pay-to-win" stuff out of it, I'll probably play it regularly and spend some cash in their store.

Playing as a common soldier in a huge sci-fi war sounds like so much fun. Thousands of people, infantry, mechanized combat, bombers ...

I do wish there was more news, seems like it's been rather quiet. Maybe that's a good thing. Please don't screw it up Sony.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2011, 03:36:07 am »

It never was pay-to-win. At some point they did have pay-to-get-cooler-stuff (like those giant battlemechs), but that didn't matter much. They still went down, down, down.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2011, 04:00:15 am »

Oh, I know. I mean PlanetSide 2, which will be free to play (and I hope not pay-to-win).

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2011, 04:07:04 am »

Oh, I know. I mean PlanetSide 2, which will be free to play (and I hope not pay-to-win).
Oh, I know, I was just referring that they never did it before, so chances are it still won't be. It's a skill-game, so pay-to-win would kill it before it was born. No skill-player wants to play that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2011, 11:25:08 am »

Well, free account vs pay account was a pretty big diff. Not quite pay to win, but it was still pay to get a really good advantage. All the extra toys you got by playing a pay account really increased your options. On the subject of the battlemechs, those battlemechs still died when you didn't know how to play them (or when focused on by a bunch of people, but that was true of anything) - but a good player in them could kick a lot of ass.

I didn't pay specifically to play them (At the time I had a pay account anyway) but I had a lot of fun playing a char with one. The only time I ever got 100+ kill streaks without dieing was in the one man mech. And I knew guys who were better than me, one guy I teamed with sometimes would play for hours and rack up hundreds of kills without dieing, even when facing overwhelming odds (like 3+ reavers after him or something). Even when the mech was blowing up I often escaped death by bailing out (when jumping they could bail out like air vehicles). I carried a rocket launcher in my main hand when I was piloting one, and on more than one occasion I jumped, bailed out last second, and finished off whoever was killing me with rockets. They could kill reavers, mosquitos, the two man tanks, and pretty much any single infantry (and most groups of infantry unless they were smart and coordinated). I'd say that's a pretty big advantage.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2011, 11:51:31 am »

No one ever expected a Sunderer to land on top of their tower.

(Load one up in that vehicle carrier, and kick it out right over a tower.  It lands on the tower, then everyone jumps out and caps it.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2011, 12:15:45 pm »

No one ever expected a Sunderer to land on top of their tower.

(Load one up in that vehicle carrier, and kick it out right over a tower.  It lands on the tower, then everyone jumps out and caps it.)

You have to be careful with that these days, I think. You have to be super quick. Last time I played I flew around that cloaked transport a lot. Got pretty good at dropping people off on the roof of bases while cloaked, but picking them up was a different matter. If you landed, you had only a few seconds before your vehicle was destroyed unless you were on a repair pad. Whoever you were picking up had to be quick. Likewise, if you're in a vehicle that just fell on a building, you have to get out mega-quick or else you're in an exploding vehicle.

Edit: Damn it, now i want to play again.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2011, 12:21:23 pm »

Yeah, that was a long time ago, like 3+ years.  I don't even remember a cloaked transport (other than the stealth ATV, but that's obviously not it.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2011, 03:57:11 pm »

Maybe he means the mobile respawn unit?

Anyway slowly more vids come out with nothing but tease: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pIHnMLfGwY

Hardpoints on guns and vehicles. This suggests vehicle customisation, which would be awesome.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »

http://www.planetside-universe.com/agn/news-community-night-november-2011-recording-2620.htm

Really really interesting.

Some ingame videos; amazing sunrise/sunset graphics.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:56:58 pm by Nilocy »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chaosgabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2011, 12:27:33 am »

Already volunteered. :D
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

010100000101001001000101010100000100000101010010010001010010000001010100010011110010
000001000100010010010100010100101100001000000100111000110000001100000100001000101110

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirXgJdhuyq6dHNvWVVsZWF6S2xuZzdkSi1xSUdPeVE&hl=de#gid=0

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2011, 01:34:59 am »

I signed up. I never get into these things, but a fellow can have hope.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2011, 03:38:18 am »

Signed up!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2011, 04:38:09 am »

Signed up. As if I have time :)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11