Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whats Your Ideal Embark Point?  (Read 2478 times)

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
Whats Your Ideal Embark Point?
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:36:52 am »

We all have a place we a looking for when we choose an embark point for our fortress...
Or some of us might just not care and randomly choose one. :D

I prefer mine to be In a desert with a solitary hill in the middle to be the entrance to the fort, which I will later surround with moats of lava and water...

How about you guys?
Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Your Ideal Embark Point?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:08:51 pm »

I'm pretty standard, border of mountain and forest, must be at least 10z levels on map and preferably a stream.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:35:41 pm »

Completely flat desert embark with no plants, minimal pebbles (can never seem to get low enough drainage for this), very savage settings and an underground river in the caverns.  Optionally magma that isn't 100 z-levels deep.

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:42:58 pm »

Lately I've been embarking in Terrifying Jungles.

I'd like to have a fort that deals in Phantom Spider silk dyed with Sliver Barb dye, but it's tough to find a spot that has both.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:15:23 pm »

Terrifying Glaciers - the manly (or dorfly) choice.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:29:17 pm »

Terrifying areas, preferably areas that start out with a lot of wildlife.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 04:52:27 pm »

A place where hippos swim with a waterfall. I will build a net (aka floor grates) right about the water to catch the hippos (who then die from impact) and eat them. It works very well with fish.

Also, I want a giant-ass mountain with the river cutting through it.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:53:48 pm »

Right now I'm looking for a dead flat yellow sand desert with a layer of limestone. I plan o building an Arabian palace above ground.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 06:06:48 pm »

Mountain, river, volcano, cotten candy. I don't care as long as I get those.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »

Recently I've been preferring sites with a major river running through them which only seem to appear when I fudge the generation settings a little.  I also prefer heavily wooded swamps, and if it doesn't freeze, that'd be nice.  Something that's kind of carried over from before my current fascination with gigantic river canyons is that I usually look for sedimentary and metamorphic layers rather than igneous.  Currently aquifers don't bother me at all because with a huge river, I can just go out and around.   If I was better at visualizing stuff in 3d, any place with huge cliffs would be great.

The one I'm on right now also has a cavern that's exposed to the surface, and part of it caved into the river, but the river is only in one corner, so I'm not too happy.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

I don't care much about the regular features anymore since you can get most of them on any map now (sedimentary rock, rivers, and forests are all nice though), but I love really interesting terrain features. My current fort is in the middle of a 20-story major river canyon that cuts through about half the map and is in a cold evil swamp, so half the year I'm building an ice castle and the other half I'm fighting for survival in the caverns under the river.

Other examples of "interesting terrain" I've seen include bugged rivers that resemble aqueducts, this place, and a mountain that vaguely resembles a hand with middle finger extended.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »

I've always wanted to build on a sheer 100z (never was able to use more than 20 levels) 30-40 z sheer cliff with a straight-ish river running right into the middle. The sheer cliff would extend from one side of the map to another. I like uniformity. A pool or lake in the middle of the cliff would be pretty cool as well.

I've found "relatively" sheer cliffs, the did have a bit of a slant...

Oh! The one I really one.. is an overhang. Like an overhang 30-40 z's over the ground that extends quite a sizeable amount over the terrain.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 07:20:22 pm »

I've taken to turning up the number of Volcanoes to 100, just so I can be sure to have some surface magma near a river. I used to turn up the amount of evil, but there are still lingering issues with the combat system and the batshit insane military management screen, so I don't want a fort that has too much combat until it can be engaged in properly (note I did not say successfully :P)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 12:22:46 am »

I'm trying to find a Terrifying lake and forest (or a large river) combination with fresh water and a good flux layer.

That's completely flat.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 08:20:06 am »

Sand and volcano. Some infinite water source is preferable but not immediately necessary. I'm not picky about rock layers.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: [1] 2