Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When would you be most able to commit as a Shareholder or Renter?

Immediately!
- 5 (4.7%)
1-2 years
- 5 (4.7%)
3-5 years
- 15 (14%)
6-10 years
- 24 (22.4%)
This is stupid.
- 39 (36.4%)
Never
- 19 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Bay12 Community - For Realz  (Read 9747 times)

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Bay12 Community - For Realz
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2011, 11:25:21 pm »

What do you mean by Electrical Engineering?  Digipen has an electronics development course, which was building things like game consoles and robots from scratch last I saw.  I haven't looked in to too much detail for that though.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2011, 12:10:14 am »

My thread, it lives!

Note that I DO still plan on doing this, but it will be after I meet my fiscal responsibilities AKA student loans, and then get some savings to start. Which, according to my current game plan (which unfortunately rests on the assumption that I will eventually get a real job) will happen in 4-5 years.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2011, 01:53:23 am »

What do you mean by Electrical Engineering?  Digipen has an electronics development course, which was building things like game consoles and robots from scratch last I saw.  I haven't looked in to too much detail for that though.
That's neat, but the question is is it a good program, in a reasonable party school. Theses are the things I must consider. Well, I'll be waiting a year after the end of high school before uni anyways to see the world or something, so assuming I have the money, I will likely be there.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2011, 02:18:51 am »

As far as programming goes, a degree from there will get you a job with basically any game developer out there, straight out of college.  Not sure about the engineering courses, but I'd imagine they're up to similar standards.

Also, we should try to bump this thread at least every few months to keep people aware of it.  I don't want it to be forgotten about and left behind.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2011, 03:52:26 am »

If I saw something reasonable set up and at least semi-working, I'd happily relocate to the USA.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2011, 07:34:56 am »

Oh hey, this thread. I never got a chance to add my voice to the crowd of people decrying this as a pipe dream that will stay a pipe dream till the day you die.

Pity.

e- Oh, oh oh oh oh oh. Good luck.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2011, 05:21:26 pm »

Maybe when I'm done with my education.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

This is a bad idea. I would not want to live with random people off an internet forum.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2011, 12:07:48 am »

This is a bad idea. I would not want to live with random people off an internet forum.

Wait, is that my sockpuppet speaking?  Surely no one here would indulge the fallacy of extrapolating from his own data point to the entire set!  We must all be the same extraordinarily conflicted individual.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2011, 01:01:43 am »

Wait, is that my sockpuppet speaking?  Surely no one here would indulge the fallacy of extrapolating from his own data point to the entire set!  We must all be the same extraordinarily conflicted individual.

Yes.  Yes we am.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Community - Six month recheck.
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2011, 07:20:56 am »

The problem seems to be not what specific location is chosen for the commune or how experienced the roomates are, but the fact that it is choosing to focus on the value of where people are rather than what they are doing. People move all over the place to follow their jobs or educations, but they do not move away from their jobs or educations for better lodgings. If this commune were to be successful, it would need to have a purpose. Something greater and more specific than "work on our hobbies/chores and hope we get jobs", and if we had such a good purpose and method, we would surely find more people willing, and be able to form a company for that purpose and using those methods. What would we want to make happen with our efforts? This blank is worthy of a thesis paper, but I'm pretty sure it starts with finding a problem or two that needs solving. After we figure out what kind of future we'll be charging into, then we figure out where will be the best place to do it.

I voted 3-5 years, as I should have finished my work here by then, excepting massive disasters (more) or finding a job (less). For the former, I'd need to figure out if I will recieve all my parents debt if they happen to croak, and for the latter, I'll need to get some skills that I consider good enough to sell.
 If I were in already in the commune, I would probably be responsible for most of the cooking, and if I had spent a couple weeks at it, I would have adjusted all my recipies to the altitude, resources, what kind of diet each member requires. It would be more difficult if we didn't have a proper kitchen (counter, stove, fridge, pots, pans), but not impossible.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 07:26:32 am »

Meh....if everything goes to hell and we can't emigrate to Scandinavia, I guess Seattle is the next best place.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 07:27:48 am »

Hey look, it's this thread again. Somebody must be grinding their necromancy skill.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2011, 08:00:57 am »

This is still going to fail as spectacularly if you gather support now as it would have had anything come out of your attempts to gather support in January, necro or no.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2011, 08:10:50 am »

Probably in about 11 years time when I am burnt-out and insane.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9