Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When would you be most able to commit as a Shareholder or Renter?

Immediately!
- 5 (4.7%)
1-2 years
- 5 (4.7%)
3-5 years
- 15 (14%)
6-10 years
- 24 (22.4%)
This is stupid.
- 39 (36.4%)
Never
- 19 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Bay12 Community - For Realz  (Read 9771 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Commune - For Realz
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:01 am »

Could we make it a rule that my parents are to be shot on sight? Cuz if so, I may be in, in a few years time.
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2010, 12:41:33 pm »

Quite a bit of legal stuff to wade through also.  What with shareholding, responsibility for collecting rent and paying bills like insurance, tax and utilities.

Also some sort of agreement/understanding from residents on how/who/whatever in not attracting roaches.

Basically logistics in dealing with upkeep and bull from less then stellar residents is a very important thing.
Of course there will be logistical issues, but hopefully they can be worked out. I'm basically seeing myself possibly becoming a full time semi-landlord if this gets off the ground, at least for a while, just because how much organizational stuff would need to be done. It's also why I'd love it if you were to show up - From what I've seen of you, you have a great head for organizing.

And Merchant Of Menace, sure, sounds good to me. It would probably be easier and have less legal issues if you just don't tell them where it is, though. :P

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2010, 01:48:30 pm »

Ways the inhabitants will resemble dwarves in a fortress:
- will spend all day taking breaks
- will never clean spatters off the floor
- won't understand how to use soap or dress themselves

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2010, 02:37:04 pm »

Have an unnatural affection with ellipses...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »

--Flip constantly between fell and fey moods
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 02:45:20 pm »

^I already do that one^
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »

^I already do that one^

So do I, a bit, which was why I mentioned it ._.

Luckily, I'm in fey most of the time, now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »

Nuuuuu!! Be happy!!!
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 02:55:00 pm »

Nuuuuu!! Be happy!!!

I am happy.  I'm just happy in the "work for ten+ hours and sleep for 5-8" sort of way.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:51 pm »

That's about ten less hours of work than your average fey mood dwarf gets per day.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 03:33:27 pm »

Not to denigrate any of you, but I am utterly astounded that anyone is actually seriously considering this. When I consider where I'd like my life to go, I try and envision improvement, instead of "well I'm thinking about moving into a house with people from the internet in five years." It seems a bit of a silly life goal.

On top of that, good lord, if you're going to live with a bunch of people you don't know, the odds of you all getting along well are very, very low. Most people try not to live with unknowns, because the potential for a terrible housemate with terrible social skills that doesn't respect your space and leaves stuff out and makes messes and uses your stuff etc. etc. etc. is huge - and especially huge if said unknown people spend a lot of time on forums getting their most meaningful social interaction from there instead of the real world. That obviously doesn't apply to everyone on here, but the odds are always stacked that way. If anyone's thinking "well, I may not have ever met ____, but I know their personality pretty well from the forums" - that's very sweet, but even if that sort of a naive point of view ends up being correct (which, again, it will at least once by dint of probability), you know nothing about their living habits. As I imagine most of the university-and-older members here know, there is a huge gulf between a good friend and a good friend who you can live with happily and comfortably.

The pull itself I'm also unsure of. What would make this house so awesome? If you're setting goals for where you want to be in the future, why on earth would this be what you're working towards? Really, I'm trying not to come off as mocking and sarcastic, but this whole idea just seems so utterly ridiculous that it's really hard not to. It's obviously your call, but out of the millions of choices that you have in front of you this really isn't a very good one to follow.

And because I'm just burning to make a cult joke, I hear the grape kool-aid is to die for.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 04:39:12 pm »

Okay basically I just made a joke at the start of this thread because I thought it wasn't going to go anywhere. Apparently I was wrong!

Not to denigrate any of you, but I am utterly astounded that anyone is actually seriously considering this. When I consider where I'd like my life to go, I try and envision improvement, instead of "well I'm thinking about moving into a house with people from the internet in five years." It seems a bit of a silly life goal.

On top of that, good lord, if you're going to live with a bunch of people you don't know, the odds of you all getting along well are very, very low. Most people try not to live with unknowns, because the potential for a terrible housemate with terrible social skills that doesn't respect your space and leaves stuff out and makes messes and uses your stuff etc. etc. etc. is huge - and especially huge if said unknown people spend a lot of time on forums getting their most meaningful social interaction from there instead of the real world. That obviously doesn't apply to everyone on here, but the odds are always stacked that way. If anyone's thinking "well, I may not have ever met ____, but I know their personality pretty well from the forums" - that's very sweet, but even if that sort of a naive point of view ends up being correct (which, again, it will at least once by dint of probability), you know nothing about their living habits. As I imagine most of the university-and-older members here know, there is a huge gulf between a good friend and a good friend who you can live with happily and comfortably.

The pull itself I'm also unsure of. What would make this house so awesome? If you're setting goals for where you want to be in the future, why on earth would this be what you're working towards? Really, I'm trying not to come off as mocking and sarcastic, but this whole idea just seems so utterly ridiculous that it's really hard not to. It's obviously your call, but out of the millions of choices that you have in front of you this really isn't a very good one to follow.

And because I'm just burning to make a cult joke, I hear the grape kool-aid is to die for.

Basically everything Retro says here is cold, hard truth. I've had plenty of problems living in shared accommodation before and that was with people that I knew well, including my best friend since the fourth grade.

Retro said there about not being able to judge people by their forum personalities (which is very true), but I think it goes even further than that. Even if you know someone well in person, you have no idea what that person is like in their own home. People always put their best foot forward in social situations, and you're hardly likely to ever hear someone say "Oh hey, so by the way I always forget to flush the toilet" or "Man last week I left so much food lying around that I now have more mice than a science lab."

Other problems here include the rift that can form when one or more parties considers something particularly unfair (whether it is or not), the fact that there is a huge amount of outlay on this for the 'shareholders' with very little in the way of any returns on their money and the major problem which is that if a couple of people end up unemployed somehow, the whole thing falls apart monetarily and everyone is left out of pocket.

In closing, I'd like to remark that the idea that 20 people could share a bathroom that was put forward early in the thread is pretty lolsworthy

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »

Only one to vote "Immediately!"?  Come on.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »

If someone removes a vote from 6-10 and 4 vote "this is stupid", we have triangular numbers.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Living Community - For Realz
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 05:52:06 pm »

Yeah, 4 people to a bathroom is probably far more reasonable.

To Lord Nagash and Retro -
We've obviously got different goals in life and different priorities. I think improvement, the way your talking about it, is mostly an illusion. Meaningless. Improvement is about me, not where I live. My ultimate goal would be to have enough money saved up from whatever to spend the later half of my life living out of hostels, a year here, a year there... - some people might not like this sort of situation, living with those who start out as strangers. I understand that. But me? It's a dream come true. Especially if, like most situations of this sort, there's a steady flow of new members in and out. It's like I get to move and live with new people every year, without the drawbacks of having to find a new job and actually move stuff. Believe it or not I actually like people and generally get along with them. The only people I've met that I haven't liked are also people who would NEVER consider doing something like this - in essence, it is it's own filter for exactly the sort of people I try to avoid.

So, where exactly would you two like your life to go? While we're in the business of tearing apart each others ambitions, it only seems fair - I'm pretty sure yours are just as inane and ridiculous, if not more so. And that's perfectly all right, because my opinion on them doesn't matter in the slightest.

I have noticed the cult connection come up a couple of times, and have changes the title accordingly to avoid it - that's not what I'm going for at all. Think closer to Artist Colony than to Cult Compound. Especially since the target very much appears to be urban or semi-urban.

Also, Retro... how old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9