Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48507 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #705 on: December 23, 2010, 10:41:07 pm »

Relaying news on the matter -

United Nations chief torture investigator has taken a personal interest in Pvt. Bradley Manning.  The article rambles on about his prison conditions for those interested, but the important thing is the links to other major news outlets, to confirm that the U.N. is indeed preparing to weigh in on the issue.  Not that the U.N. has any kind of binding power of course, but the WikiLeaks matter is at heart a battle of and over diplomacy.

United Nations and other international diplomatic organizations officially declare their opinion that states have the right to keep information secret, but access to and publication of information, included leaked secret information, is a human right.  The statement itself.

Don't know if this has been posted before:

http://my.firedoglake.com/blog/2010/12/23/bradley-manning-speaks-about-his-conditions/

A first person account of the mistreatment of Manning, the lies of the Pentagon, and the details of his continued torture under the pretense of "Prevention of Injury". Also, the serious negative effects the treatment has had on Manning's health and mental well-being.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:48:59 pm by Sergius »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 23, 2010, 11:30:10 pm »

I'm shaking with rage after reading that.  Behold the consequences for acting according to one's conscience, as all human beings should.  Reminds me of Battle Royale.  Beat it into people's heads that good intentions only get you stabbed in the back, because they can never unite as long as they believe that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 24, 2010, 12:00:25 am »

Double standards is the name of the game.  'We' can do no wrong.  Anything you do that inconveniences 'us' is wrong.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 24, 2010, 12:52:52 am »

Here's some double standards :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:55:23 am by Sergius »

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 24, 2010, 02:02:06 am »

I'm shaking with rage after reading that.  Behold the consequences for acting according to one's conscience, as all human beings should.  Reminds me of Battle Royale.  Beat it into people's heads that good intentions only get you stabbed in the back, because they can never unite as long as they believe that.

I'm sorry but what good intentions? This man is being held in conditions that are deplorable. I can not deny that. But this man also committed treason. It's uncomfortable. But it's treason.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 24, 2010, 02:06:42 am »

I'm sorry but what good intentions? This man is being held in conditions that are deplorable. I can not deny that. But this man also committed treason. It's uncomfortable. But it's treason.

We've discussed this already.

Edit:  Think of it this way.  You could argue that his actions are treason against the U.S..  I don't think so, but you can make that argument, especially from a strictly legal sense.

But I consider myself someone who has equal obligation to the human race as a whole, not just a single nation.  From my perspective as such, he has not committed treason.  He's exposed it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 02:11:55 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 24, 2010, 02:45:28 am »

What gets me is that he moved the leaks back and forth on a CD marked Lady Gaga.

That's like smuggling pot in a truck labeled Colombian Cocaine Importers, Ltd.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 24, 2010, 11:23:58 am »

Edit:  Think of it this way.  You could argue that his actions are treason against the U.S..  I don't think so, but you can make that argument, especially from a strictly legal sense.

But I consider myself someone who has equal obligation to the human race as a whole, not just a single nation.  From my perspective as such, he has not committed treason.  He's exposed it.

But how were his actions good intentions?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 24, 2010, 11:47:45 am »

Depends on who you ask...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 24, 2010, 11:49:04 am »

His intention was to cause the military to act with a greater sense of responsibility toward the people it ostensibly protects. As for whether or not he's committed treason, it's for the courts to decide whether what he did constituted treason or not; I'm given to understand that there's actually no laws against what he did, but I could be mistaken. In any case, his obligation to the military ought not be used as reason for this sort of pre-emptive punishment. Without question, he should be dishonorably discharged; that's an appropriate punishment for violating military protocol and acting against his own military. And it's a military punishment. He might then be tried for any crimes he committed, but as a civilian, and not with this "guilty until determined innocent, so we totally don't have to care about his mental health," nonsense.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:13 pm »

I don't really want to invoke Godwin's law on this thread (or actually it's pacific counterpart), so I'll just point out that good intentions and following your conscience don't always have results that are desirable.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 24, 2010, 12:14:26 pm »

I don't really want to invoke Godwin's law on this thread (or actually it's pacific counterpart), so I'll just point out that good intentions and following your conscience don't always have results that are desirable.

Obviously. That first sentence was really just an attempt to point out what conceivable good intentions Manning could have had. Honestly, I don't think what he did was wrong, except possibly a lack of discretion (I'm not aware of any particulars that he ought not to have leaked, though, but then, I'm not exactly sure which of the Wikileaks documents were from him), but it's not because "He meant the best". Again, he ought to be removed from the military; he clearly violated its rules and should be punished for that. But that doesn't justify what's being done to him.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 24, 2010, 02:42:50 pm »

I don't think good intentions and Godwin's Law have much to do with each other at all... the actions of Nazis were not carried out with good intentions, at least not for the majority of the world.

And while it's true that a person can do bad things with good intentions, this isn't very useful to point out except as a plea to think through one's actions.  If you really want to invoke Godwin, Manning could have been exposing secrets of the Nazi government leading up to WW2.  I'm sure they would also accuse him of treason.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 24, 2010, 07:05:39 pm »

I don't want to invoke Godwin's law, but if you don't agree with my political opinions you're driving with Hitler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 24, 2010, 10:08:15 pm »

* dragonshardz invokes Godwin's Law.

There.

Discussion as usual may now resume.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 54