Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48711 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #480 on: December 15, 2010, 06:36:02 am »

I'm rather confused as to how they intend to prove those accusations, exactly.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:06 am »

"Tuesday, a lawyer representing the Swedish government laid out for a British judge four specific charges of sexual misconduct, three related to Miss A and one related to Miss W. The word "rape" was not part of the charges but "unlawful coercion" and Assange's alleged reluctance to use condoms was." (via Phmcw's Reuters link)

So the prosecution doesn't even dare to use the word rape, unless it's to the media.  I also like the alleged reluctance to use condoms thing, when apparently he had sex with both women multiple times, and only failed to use a condom once with one and had one condom fail with the other.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 15, 2010, 09:38:54 am »

By the way, Stallman's a bombastic lunatic.

I strongly disagree.
So did I. One grows out of that after a while.

"The growing out of it" line is the lamest excuse for a point I've ever heard. Beside I'm 25 thus probably your age or older.

It's not a "discuss Stallman" thread, but at least try to have a bit of consistence in your comment.
That wasn't an argument, it was a dismissive "I used to agree with what you're saying, and from that perspective saw enough to realize how essentially flawed such a viewpoint is."

Interesting. So you're at roughly the hunter/gatherer stage of social development then? Don't worry, there are still a few likeminded societies left, you could go join them! You would have to give up all those modern things like medicine, industry, sanitary food, actual housing, electricity, and internet access, but all those are just Authoritarian Chains that totally require logistics, organization, and other Authoritarian Bullshit, so you'll probably be happier.

Organization does not require coercive authority.  I don't know why people get so stuck on this idea.  All that's required for organization is collective agreement on a goal, and someone with knowledge of how to attain that goal to guide (not threaten) other members of the group if the knowledge isn't universal.  Disagreement shouldn't result in punishment, only non-participation.  And I can explain to you how every one of those modern benefits you listed is actually hindered by authoritative hierarchy if you wish.
"All that's required to go to the moon is to just try really hard to fly." ::)

You don't seem to realize a few really important things:

While most people will at least attempt to behave in a fair and just manner in dealing with others, there will always be those who don't, and before you say "Oh, they could just be exiled or ignored in an Anarchist Utopia", they're not blatantly different from everyone else (except the ones who are, essentially, gibbering lunatics, and even then they're rarely considered more than a little offputting), (we'll call them "malicious actors" for the rest of this argument, for the sake of brevity) and if they have even the slightest modicum of sense they can completely subvert your Anarchist Utopia from within, and since there's no "Coercive Authority" to stop them, they can just assemble their own "Coercive Authority", devoted entirely to their own benefit, at the expense of everyone else.

Further, while people will, as said, generally act in the way they believe to be best, there is rarely consensus, and it can be even more screwed up by malicious actors trying to subvert things to their benefit (see the preceding point), leaving society a deadlocked clusterfuck, susceptible to disaster or exploitation by malicious actors.

Lastly, and drawing on the aforementioned points, individual rights can only be enforced by "Coercive Authority": if you are not strong enough to protect your interests via threat of force, or lack trustworthy allies who can do this for you, you will be exploited by stronger malicious actors in the absence of a mostly benevolent "Coercive Authority" (such as the one we have now, flawed though it may be; there is little argument that it is preferable to rule by criminal syndicates, street gangs, and more blatant petty warlord figures, which are exactly the parties that would benefit most from removing or weakening the government, and attempting to institute an "Anarchist Utopia") enforcing rule of law.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 15, 2010, 09:51:32 am »

Derail much?

Seriously, post this in the anarchy thread or something. And in a Stallman thread for the beginning, I won't respond here.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 15, 2010, 11:10:34 am »

There's currently jack shit that's both on topic and worth saying. Assange is both an asshole and a lunatic (though notably not a criminal in any sense), US congressmen are acting like retards and bitching about him being tangentially related to documents other people leaked, and some prosecutor in sweden wants a high profile target for a frivolous case because publicity. That's the entire story, in one sentence. Everything else is either offtopic or has been said several dozen times.

Also, there is no anarchy thread (though there are at least a dozen "COMMINIZMZ! :)) or >:(?" threads), and for the love of god no one fucking start one. I don't wish to discuss Stallman either, simply because he's an uninteresting, irrelevant loon.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 15, 2010, 11:14:07 am »

I guess your use of derogatory terms is directly proportionate to your lack of argument,
and if you don't have "jack shit" to say on topic, then you could just avoid posting.

Edit: And here is the hread on anarchy, complete with bikers and shotgun http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55346.0
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:18:24 am by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 15, 2010, 11:31:40 am »

<snip>Assange is both an asshole and a lunatic (though notably not a criminal in any sense), US congressmen are acting like retards and bitching about him being tangentially related to documents other people leaked, and some prosecutor in sweden wants a high profile target for a frivolous case because publicity. That's the entire story, in one sentence.<snip>

That pretty much sums it all up. I don't agree with the first bit, but meh. That's really not something important enough to warrant argument.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 15, 2010, 11:32:32 am »

Not having been said : is bradley Manning being tortured?
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/12/14/manning/index.html

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 15, 2010, 01:18:42 pm »

Not having been said : is bradley Manning being tortured?
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/12/14/manning/index.html
Oh wow that's not a completely biased and dubious source at all!

Honestly, what it says doesn't really matter; considering he's likely to end up dead, his psychological health at the end of it is rather irrelevant. That said, if what it says is true, it's a damn stupid thing to be doing, simply because of the bad publicity.

And the point that Assange is being kept in solitary is rather silly: any particularly high-profile detainee is kept in solitary for their own protection, it's not exclusive to people that have pissed off the wrong people.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:24:53 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 15, 2010, 01:38:00 pm »

Honestly, what it says doesn't really matter; considering he's likely to end up dead, his psychological health at the end of it is rather irrelevant. That said, if what it says is true, it's a damn stupid thing to be doing, simply because of the bad publicity.

And you call other poeple lunatics?
Are you trying to troll us or are you playing macho?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 15, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »

And you call other poeple lunatics?
Are you trying to troll us or are you playing macho?
You're talking about a soldier who's being put on trial for "treason". Regardless of whether he deserves it (he doesn't; he was just a dumbshit kid who thought he was doing the right thing), he's in all likelihood going to end up executed for it. So talking about the "longterm psychological damage" that isolation causes is rather silly in this particular case, since you can't well suffer from psychological damage if you're dead. It's still a damn fucking stupid thing to be doing to him, in any case, because it looks quite bad for them, and makes him look like a martyr.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2010, 02:11:44 pm »

First he is a martyr, cause you know, he may be killed for his courageous action who happen to have warranted an investigation on several war crime, secondly in what fucking realty is it ok to damage the psychological health of someone because you'll be killing him later? Are you crazy?
America have sunken to Chinese low. My only comfort is that the idiot that have let this situation arise, by not listening to "bombastic lunatics" like Stallman will suffer next.
Don't call me an anti American : give me Americans like Michael Moor, Stallman, Feynman,... but yes, I'm anti fascists.
That's what America is turning into under our very eyes : a fascist state.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:18:42 pm by Phmcw »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 15, 2010, 02:34:07 pm »

when hasn't it been?
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 15, 2010, 02:35:11 pm »

He's in no way a martyr. He's a dumbshit kid that did something extremely stupid and entirely unacceptable, just because he thought it was the right thing to do. Soldiers cannot think like that. Ever. Their job is to follow orders to the best of their ability, regardless of whether they understand the reasoning behind their orders or agree with them. An army cannot operate if they do otherwise. To that end, he has to be made an example of, even though he doesn't deserve it. I feel sorry for the poor bastard, but he brought it on himself.

Don't call me an anti American : give me Americans like Michael Moor, Stallman, Feynman,... but yes, I'm anti fascists.
I wouldn't dream of it. I don't particularly like this country, and all the insane bullshit that goes on in politics at all levels, but I am in the end a pragmatist. When it comes down to it, there are things that need to be done, and protesting on the grounds of some random ideology or another is just silly.

By the way, cut the fucking melodrama about the whole damn world becoming Fascist. It has been getting progressively less so. To claim the modern day is an atrocity teetering on the brink of dystopia is to ignore and trivialize all the fucking bullshit that made up the greater part of the twentieth century, and the entirety of life prior to it. "Oh no! Life isn't a utopia made of candy and dreams! Why haven't all our problems magically disappeared!? It's not like problems are hard to solve! Everyone in charge of everything must be retarded! We're all going to die!" ::)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 15, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »

He's in no way a martyr. He's a dumbshit kid that did something extremely stupid and entirely unacceptable, just because he thought it was the right thing to do. Soldiers cannot think like that. Ever. Their job is to follow orders to the best of their ability, regardless of whether they understand the reasoning behind their orders or agree with them. An army cannot operate if they do otherwise. To that end, he has to be made an example of, even though he doesn't deserve it. I feel sorry for the poor bastard, but he brought it on himself.

Befehl ist befehl.
I'm not going to argue the point and it's not really relevant here (or on topic) but soldiers actually do have to reflect a little over their orders. If the order is illegal it's also illegal to follow it.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54