Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48757 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #420 on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:57 am »

Communism was touted as a perfect system, and in theory, it is.

While commonly accepted, this is bullshit.  The same could be said of any economic system.  They all sound perfect when you apply them to simplified models of reality (massless, frictionless pulleys and the like).

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 12, 2010, 10:10:34 am »

I do think that we need to keep on looking at better ways to run our societies, as the current systems are definately flawed. Things like communism tend to go against basic human nature. The issue is that we have evolved to live in fairly small communities, and more idealist societies only work when communities are kept small. The priniple of democracy is great, but because our communities and society have grown so large, governments can push through laws that are unpopular and opposed by the majority of the citizens.

Being pragmatic is essential, because the powers that be would never allow the current system to be dismantled completely, no matter how desirable it would be.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 12, 2010, 10:56:59 am »

By the way, Stallman's a bombastic lunatic.

I strongly disagree.
So did I. One grows out of that after a while.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 12, 2010, 12:58:25 pm »

By the way, Stallman's a bombastic lunatic.

I strongly disagree.
So did I. One grows out of that after a while.

"The growing out of it" line is the lamest excuse for a point I've ever heard. Beside I'm 25 thus probably your age or older.

It's not a "discuss Stallman" thread, but at least try to have a bit of consistence in your comment.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:02:44 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 12, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »

I would be interested if Virex would be able to actually show how every government employee is inept/corrupt/lazy, rather than just simply appealing to a cynical fantasy that he likely had impressed upon him by someone bitter about their own life.

Perhaps the top talent isn't in the government, but would you be supportive of increasing pay for government jobs in order to draw top talent away from the private sector?

As someone who had worked for both the government and the private sector, i can tell you the government guys take their jobs and duties much more seriously, and are far more noble and moral than the corporate guys.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:27 pm »

You would say that, wouldn't you, swine dog of the Government!
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2010, 01:12:56 pm »

You would say that, wouldn't you, swine dog of the Government!
8)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 12, 2010, 01:54:18 pm »

I would be interested if Virex would be able to actually show how every government employee is inept/corrupt/lazy, rather than just simply appealing to a cynical fantasy that he likely had impressed upon him by someone bitter about their own life.
Even if it were a cynical fantasy, would that cure the fact that the government is unacceptably sluggish and inefficient?

Perhaps the top talent isn't in the government, but would you be supportive of increasing pay for government jobs in order to draw top talent away from the private sector?

Solely increasing the pay has a chance of attracting the wrong kind of "talent", as the whole banking crisis has shown ;) It is a step forward though, when combined with tighter screening and less leniency when it comes to unacceptable behavior.[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:57:04 pm by Virex »

wurli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 12, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »

Even if it were a cynical fantasy, would that cure the fact that the government is unacceptably sluggish and inefficient?

It is my opinion that the system is made on purpose "unacceptably sluggish and inefficient".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 12, 2010, 02:21:36 pm »

Surely you jest. The only thing you can have a 100% certainity that  politicians will agree on is on raising their own salaries and retirement funds.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 12, 2010, 02:35:18 pm »

What exactly counts as "unacceptable" to you?  And what acceptable level of sloth and inefficiency are you comparing it to?  The Post Office can get a letter from Los Angeles to New York in one day for 72 cents with a 1/10000 loss rate.  And I know from cold hard experience that the IRS moves pretty fast when they want to.

But okay, lets assume it is unacceptable.  What's your solution?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 12, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »

But okay, lets assume it is unacceptable.  What's your solution?

He wants a meritocracy enforced by randomly selected juries consisting of several random citizens plus one expert in a field relevant to the position being filled.  The jury determines whether they think the person being judged is sufficiently competent.  This apparently applies to all government positions, from the head of state to the lowest flunky.

At least that's my understanding given the past few pages of conversation.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2010, 02:47:58 pm »

Surely you jest. The only thing you can have a 100% certainity that  politicians will agree on is on raising their own salaries and retirement funds.

Governmental pay is generally comical when compared with private equivalents,  this is why when faced with talented regulators auditing their corporation, the corporation will simply offer to hire them.

If you were to compare their pay to general unskilled labor, then yes they are being paid well.  But it would be a shit-show if you replaced them with general unskilled labor. 

One thing many people don't realize is that elected officials aren't the ones writing legislation, because if they did it would get completely torn apart by skilled lawyers.  Legislatures have their own in-house lawyers that draft legislation for them.  This is why i'm more of a good-government advocate rather than a destroy-government advocate.  The weaker a government is, the easier it is for it to be corrupted, infiltrated, manipulated, and misused.

I would challenge any of you guys complaining about government ineptitude to go to a legislative session, go to committee executive sessions and hearings, budget deliberations, etc. and actually see what is going on.  Too often people just talk knowledgeably about a topic based on how they've heard someone else describe it.  This is the best way to be misled.  First hand observation will allow you to arrive at your own conclusions.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 12, 2010, 02:51:26 pm »

I remember long, long ago when thsi thread was about Wikileaks :)

Of note, Anonymous will apparently stop the DDOSing,  not sure if it will hold.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 12, 2010, 02:54:21 pm »

I remember long, long ago when thsi thread was about Wikileaks :)

Of note, Anonymous will apparently stop the DDOSing,  not sure if it will hold.

Yeah, I do too.  How exactly is that going to happen?  "Anonymous" doesn't "stop" anything.  They start, and then it peters out as the subject fades away.  What, does WikiLeaks have it's own Wise Beard Man now?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 54