Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48669 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #375 on: December 11, 2010, 09:13:19 pm »

The point is not to strip down the government completely, but to break the entire government structure down to the core and then to completely rebuild it. The current structure is overly complex and filled with anachronisms and it seems like they're just hiring random people to do random work instead of trying to get the best person for every job. If the government feels the need to for example shuffle the ministries every 4 years and "revolutionize" the school system every 6 years then that's a clear indication that the government itself doesn't work and nobody has a clue on how to fix it. Ergo, burn it to the ground and replace it with something that does make sense.

So your suggestion is, what, "revolutionize" the government every 6 years?  :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 11, 2010, 09:13:59 pm »

Most governments. From what I've gathered, there are pretty much no governments with the right people in the right places.

The point is not to strip down the government completely, but to break the entire government structure down to the core and then to completely rebuild it. The current structure is overly complex and filled with anachronisms and it seems like they're just hiring random people to do random work instead of trying to get the best person for every job. If the government feels the need to for example shuffle the ministries every 4 years and "revolutionize" the school system every 6 years then that's a clear indication that the government itself doesn't work and nobody has a clue on how to fix it. Ergo, burn it to the ground and replace it with something that does make sense.

FYI, that is not how the US system works. We just have a congress that is unwilling to work together to get things done and the fact that the republicans are blocking and filibustering when they can doesn't help either.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 11, 2010, 09:14:50 pm »

So your suggestion is, what, "revolutionize" the government every 6 years?  :P
I suggested for the government to be made up of competent people. You know, the opposite of the current situation?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:18:10 pm by Virex »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 11, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »

Interesting tidbit from China.  They're all pissy about the whol Liu Xiaobo/Nobel peace price thing, of course, but they asked a good question: why not give Assange the prize?

You know shit has gotten weird when China can make a moral relativism argument and it actually holds water.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 11, 2010, 09:18:04 pm »

I suggested for the government to be made up of competent people. You know, the opposite of the current situation?

I get that and agree with you, I was just informing you that what you said is not how the US system works.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 11, 2010, 09:18:36 pm »

Sorry that was a reaction to the post above you. You ninjaed me :P

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 11, 2010, 09:19:45 pm »

Firstly, you're declaring the entirety of government incompetent, as though they are of a different breed than the general public.  Secondly, are you advocating a meritocracy?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »

Most of the public is incompetent as well, and yes at least for government jobs I don't think we should never accept less then the very best.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »

Most of the public is incompetent as well, and yes at least for government jobs I don't think we should never accept less then the very best.

Who determines the best and on what grounds?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2010, 09:23:08 pm »

Based on what standard?

Who determines the best and on what grounds?

Exactly. We seem to be thinking alike here. Or we are both seeing the same logical fallacy here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 11, 2010, 09:34:09 pm »

Interesting tidbit from China.  They're all pissy about the whol Liu Xiaobo/Nobel peace price thing, of course, but they asked a good question: why not give Assange the prize?

You know shit has gotten weird when China can make a moral relativism argument and it actually holds water.

Glenn Beck, too.  Apparently he's been defending Assange, and even turning on his usual allies to do so.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2010, 09:36:56 pm »

Seriousville.  I mean, I always approach "party" arguments very skeptically, but we seem to have given their propaganda machine pretty good fodder.

Glenn Beck, too.  Apparently he's been defending Assange, and even turning on his usual allies to do so.

Didn't know that.  Man.  What's happening to the world?  I found myself posting a link on FB earlier of Ron Paul defending him too.  They may make me turn in my liberal card if this keeps going.
At last, she is done.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 11, 2010, 09:41:12 pm »

Based on what standard?
At least by the standard of "don't cause damage to society with your responsibilities" Out of all the people I know there would only be maybe 2 I'd trust with my health-care documents, let alone that I would trust anyone to decide on more pressing matters. That's why it's necessary to have an intensive screening procedure to make sure that anyone with responsibility can actually do her job as needed.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 11, 2010, 09:41:51 pm »

Didn't know that.  Man.  What's happening to the world?  I found myself posting a link on FB earlier of Ron Paul defending him too.  They may make me turn in my liberal card if this keeps going.

So they're taking an ideological rather than partisan stance?  I know nothing about Ron Paul, but I can kinda see it with Glenn Beck, ideologue that he is.

At least by the standard of "don't cause damage to society with your responsibilities" Out of all the people I know there would only be maybe 2 I'd trust with my health-care documents, let alone that I would trust anyone to decide on more pressing matters. That's why it's necessary to have an intensive screening procedure to make sure that anyone with responsibility can actually do her job as needed.

So someone will have to screen potential government officials and employees somehow.  I ask who and how.  Who are you going to trust with that responsibility?  That's one hell of a lot of discretionary authority.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:47:14 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »

Well, who would you trust with authority? I think that only a completely independent and unbiased jury, who knows nothing of the person in question could make a good judgment. I would therefor propose a jury consisting of at least 1 jury member knowledgeable in the field the person to be hired is sought for and for the rest, an even division amongst the populace. Juries would be formed per case, or to solve a small number of cases, to avoid bias creep and concentration of power. They would have as much access as possible to personal and biographical data of the person in question and said person would have to run an admission program of at least 2 weeks to show that she is competent. The Jury may decide to prolong the period once, but their decision must be unanimous, if 1 member has the impression that the person who's going to be hired may not function adequately, he's not hired.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 54