Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48793 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2010, 05:17:47 pm »

Hey... another quote from the video.

"If the US actually wants him dead, they aren't gonna go through an extradition".

Honestly, after watching this, I think there is a pretty good case for blocking his extradition.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 10, 2010, 05:47:44 pm »

But do they want him dead, or out of the way? It's not like he's going to be able to do much more behind bars then he would do dead, as far as the Us would be concerned.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 10, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

But do they want him dead, or out of the way? It's not like he's going to be able to do much more behind bars then he would do dead, as far as the Us would be concerned.

I'd be surprised if they don't want to make an example of him.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 10, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »

Everyone's watching the US in this case though.

Which, incidentally makes him a really good target for assassination by Iran

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 10, 2010, 06:03:48 pm »

What would Iran get out of assassinating Assanage? They basically waved off the leaks that are about them and they are probably enjoying the leaks in general. It won't have an effect on the sanctions that they are getting from the UN either.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 10, 2010, 06:11:23 pm »

Everyone's watching the US in this case though.

Which just makes him a more effective example, right?  Assassination would be stupid, but bending the law to their will is something people have a history of accepting.

This is all one big stress test on the relationship between power and people.  Those who stand against power are gambling for new boundaries based on new frontiers in the relationship of technology and culture.  Those in power are pushing to maintain the same status they have enjoyed for decades.  They're going to approach this case in the most self-serving manner possible, and whatever we decide is too much is where the boundaries will fall.

Edit:  The last such event to my knowledge was the Battle in Seattle, which heavily defined police tactics vs open gatherings of dissent over the last 10 years.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:17:27 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 10, 2010, 06:12:28 pm »

What would Iran get out of assassinating Assanage? They basically waved off the leaks that are about them and they are probably enjoying the leaks in general. It won't have an effect on the sanctions that they are getting from the UN either.

I think the idea he was getting at was to then pin it on the US. It wouldn't help Iran, but it'd make the US look stupider than it really is (if only slightly).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 10, 2010, 09:06:21 pm »

Do they over there really need to look any stupider right now? As far as I know they're already the tourist nationality you don't want to announce yourself as part of, eh.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:30:46 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 10, 2010, 09:14:33 pm »

If I ever travel abroad, I'm Canadian. That's my story. There will be no deviation, eh.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »

I happen to have been born in the U.S., and that's all there is to it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 10, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »

They won't prob kill him or anything major like that... That would only turn him into a martyr. It also won't stop wikileaks, he's just the guy that got the crappy job of being the distraction, although he does seem to enjoy the attention (being arrested and put in jail will remedy that character flaw). Wikileaks is still releasing now he's in jail, it will keep doing so. At the very most they will have to find another "volunteer" to dress up in a pink tutu and have sex in Sweden for the next round... not sure about the tutu though.

Add the fact that if anything does go horribly wrong with him... the encryption key will be released to the public.

I can imagine them(Major parties hurt, not just the US...) wanting to try to scare the bejezus into everyone else with this slander campaign and fascist tactics to stop them all together. I'm really curious about the rest of the files and the bank files that going to be released.

The EU isn't all to happy with the guy also, but seeing the lack of personal rights and even human rights the US is showing, I think they should keep him in the EU.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 09:34:20 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 10, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »

It's not like the EU has a flawless record on that regard, either.

I doubt the US will even ask for an extradition, as it would give more propaganda to the whole thing.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 10, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »

If I ever travel abroad, I'm Canadian. That's my story. There will be no deviation, eh.

Everyone acts Canadian... To the point where no one is starting to care anymore.

Heck they are starting not to care about Canadian's specifically too.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 10, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »

Which as a 'canadian' i find bad enough,. Current government look like something just out of W era.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 10, 2010, 09:52:19 pm »

While he's essentially untouchable, I'm a little worried about this becoming the Two Minutes' Hate.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54