Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48615 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2010, 08:23:28 pm »

Is anyone else actually kind of wanting Assange to release the key, just to see the fallout? I mean, if it's the content he deems worthy to use to basically blackmail some of the world's most powerful people, you can bet it would be pretty damn juicy. Getting people fired from office juicy, possibly even complete government overhaul juicy.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2010, 08:23:40 pm »

Wow.
Is there any better encryption cipher? That sounds pretty unbreakable.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:27 pm »

How much would anyone like to bet that the key is part of some completely innocuous file already floating around all over the Internet, just waiting for a WikiLeaks member to identify it?
As he dies, he releases a link that goes to a page that has clues that sets governments around the world on a National Treasure-style hint hunt as they look for the location of the codes. Although ultimately America will win because we have possession of the best resource for this: Nicolas Cage.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:49 pm »

it is unbreakable except maybe the will of god or his password file.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:49 pm »

Quote from: PopSci article
The best possible method of cracking the code might be the simplest: Beat it out of him. This is, I swear to God, a real technique, called rubber-hose cryptanalysis. Assange is already in custody--the most efficient way to get his password is, by far, torture. It's also authentic in that it's the only type of cracking you'd actually see in a Bond movie. Sure as hell better than waiting several million years for a brute-force attack, right?
Hmm...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2010, 08:31:33 pm »

He could've set up something that's programmed to release the key if noone tells it not to after a certain amount of time (let's say a week) and having a bunch of Wikileaks members who tell it not to every now and again.

Under such a system, a simultaneous mass arrest, or even assassination, of all important Wikileaks members would still result in the release of the password.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:24 pm »

Is anyone else actually kind of wanting Assange to release the key, just to see the fallout? I mean, if it's the content he deems worthy to use to basically blackmail some of the world's most powerful people, you can bet it would be pretty damn juicy. Getting people fired from office juicy, possibly even complete government overhaul juicy.

Mostly, I just want to know what that douche thinks counts as "hot" enough to bet his life on.  Not that the stuff already leaked wasn't worth the attention.  But that is exactly the idea, the lynchpin of Assange's safety-plan is the world's insatiable curiosity.  He's quite the showman; this whole business with the rape charges is a testament to just what kind of tizzy he has the political community spinning to.  One way or another though, it will be released - either because of the legal doomsday scenario coming true, or because Assange just can't resist releasing it any long.  Probably if and when he gets something even better to hold hostage.

As I said a few pages back, if he had been caught outside of the public eye, they could have done anything they wanted to him and made up any kind of story to justify it.  Sure, people would be highly suspicious to outright condemning of the disappearance, but the damage control would be completely in the hands of authorities who are quite capable and experienced in dealing with such things.

Yeah, I just wound up reiterating your analysis.  The nature of the encryption key and possession thereof adds a new, possibly unprecedented metric to how the law will approach him.

Not to sound bombastic, but this is literally history in the making.  Information, the release of it, and the legal and technological apparatus have never created a situation like this before, and it will definitely set a huge precedent, in thought if not in any particular law, of how governments in the future will respond to info leaks.

I wonder if Nic Cage is playing the good guy or the bad guy in this role.  Good thing he does moral ambiguity so well.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2010, 08:39:26 pm »

I wonder if Nic Cage is playing the good guy or the bad guy in this role.  Good thing he does moral acting Erm,emotional ambiguity so well?
But yeah, not enough crazy conspiracies that are references to movies here. We need to speculate on what's in there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »

If NC is unavaiable you can always hire Tom Hanks.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2010, 08:42:56 pm »

Update: according to Techtrends, Visa and Mastercard jumped eagerly on the wikileaks ship because the next leak will be about them:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101208/11522412194/want-to-know-why-visa-mastercard-cut-off-wikileaks-because-its-latest-leak-was-about-them.shtml
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2010, 08:45:02 pm »

Why am I not surprised?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2010, 08:45:48 pm »

For what its worth, a private investigator was at my house this weekend for some internal investigation. Apparently Bank of America (Where my stepfather works) is in a frenzy over some leak that they think might be related to all this. So Visa and Mastercard aren't the only companies terrified at whats going on.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2010, 08:58:16 pm »

As for the information in the file, its pretty much just what has been released, but without the censorship Assange and the journalists working with him put on the released documents. Or in other words, the names and locations of just about every secret agent/collaborator/people-who-would-be-shot. So basically he is saying to the governments: let me continue releasing your non-critical information about your important fish mines, diplomacy, and failed ops, and I won't release info which would actually get a bunch of people killed.
For what its worth, a private investigator was at my house this weekend for some internal investigation. Apparently Bank of America (Where my stepfather works) is in a frenzy over some leak that they think might be related to all this. So Visa and Mastercard aren't the only companies terrified at whats going on.
Uh oh, teh interwebz are leaking out into Renault's house.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59:15 pm »

Hehe, wikileaks is fearmongering the right people.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2010, 09:06:15 pm »

Update: Paypal capitulates, will release the funds from Wikileaks' account that they were holding.

https://www.thepaypalblog.com/2010/12/updated-statement-about-wikileaks-from-paypal-general-counsel-john-muller/
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54