Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48534 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2010, 09:33:34 pm »

I figure so long as I don't specifically say the term "Slippery Slope" I have a freebie. Although i should try to fit a camel in there if possible.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:38 pm »

Can we substitute other alternate phrases? Like, greasy incline?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:46 pm »

Although i should try to fit a camel in there if possible.

Just remember, anywhere you fit part of a camel you can get a whole camel.  They must be quite easy to fit into places.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2010, 09:38:02 pm »

Lubed Slant?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2010, 09:39:29 pm »

Lubed Slant?
Unlevel Slip'n'slide?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:25 pm »

Anti-stick retrograde.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2010, 09:43:34 pm »

Slick Camel?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »

I can understand the need for some secrets to stay secret. EG: the names of people who would be at risk if they came out

That being said, I don't really think it's wrong that our dear politician's crap has burst in their faces. In fact I think that if it happened more often they might spend less time being assholes and more doing constructive, decent stuff.

The problem with wikileaks is that they do little discrimination, it seems to me. They have released thousands of papers, most with irrelevant stuff, some with interesting tidbits, and a few which might or might not contain sensitive stuff (AFAIK they do censor names. But I might be wrong). One possible problem with this approach is that important stuff can stay drowned in a sea of inane memorandums. The other is that someone might orchestrate a "leak" in order to make their competition (national, corporative, or otherwise) look bad.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2010, 09:49:45 pm »

I can understand the need for some secrets to stay secret. EG: the names of people who would be at risk if they came out

That being said, I don't really think it's wrong that our dear politician's crap has burst in their faces. In fact I think that if it happened more often they might spend less time being assholes and more doing constructive, decent stuff.

The problem with wikileaks is that they do little discrimination, it seems to me. They have released thousands of papers, most with irrelevant stuff, some with interesting tidbits, and a few which might or might not contain sensitive stuff (AFAIK they do censor names. But I might be wrong). One possible problem with this approach is that important stuff can stay drowned in a sea of inane memorandums. The other is that someone might orchestrate a "leak" in order to make their competition (national, corporative, or otherwise) look bad.
so, we need more crap balloons to pop and less useless crap? (I'm probably way oversimplifing this, aren't I?)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2010, 10:05:37 pm »

This whole case against Assange was only brought up by Interpol trying to appease various governments across the world. The democratic cables released obviously struck a nerve, and they're trying to take Wikileaks' figurehead. Wikileaks has revealed some very interesting things in the past, and I think the governments of the world have finally gotten fed up with it (in particular the US and UK governments.)

I find it almost comical that they're attacking Assange. He's just the scapegoat, it's not like arresting him is going to affect Wikileaks' operations.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2010, 10:07:53 pm »

Personally, I think the amount of useless stuff IS what's important! Its the biggest sign the government is keeping way to many secrets, and it bothers me that most everyone ignores this.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:15 am »

Personally, I think the amount of useless stuff IS what's important! Its the biggest sign the government is keeping way to many secrets, and it bothers me that most everyone ignores this.

Eh, but they're not really secrets in any meaningful way, is the thing. It's sort of like when you have a private conversation with someone. You don't necessarily want your words to be rebroadcast publicly or it can make it difficult to speak honestly. Most of the diplomatic cables are just that: not exactly useful to know, just sort of embarrassing. Its just sort of hard to find too much good in any of the revelations this latest round has made.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2010, 12:21:01 am »

The whole point of diplomacy is being able to speak candidly without worrying about the subject listening in.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2010, 12:23:35 am »

Funny how everyone will so easily trample over someone else freedom of speech and right just because they don't like what he says.

I love how he has all you people so freaked out.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2010, 12:26:59 am »

I don't think this is so much a freedom of speech issue, though. It's sort of an anomalous zone, and I think that where a lot of the controversy comes from. They're clearly not the Pentagon Papers, and yet they're not exactly secret missile codes, either. Its sort of a gray area, and that invites a lot of opinions. I wouldn't rush to accusing people of trampling over rights because of it; I think this is a more nuanced issue than that.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54