Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48472 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 04:17:15 pm »

The strategic sites list. It's not that a big deal.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:35 pm »

I've never actually seen the list, so I don't know how big of a deal it is.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:50 pm »

I think it's a shame that my country's government and politicians are willing to act in such a way to keep me from knowing things that can potentially greatly affect me.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 04:22:51 pm »

It's not a list of military assets. Rather, it's a list of important things that should be protected because they would likely be the first targets of a strategic attack. This is to say, you won't find in it military bases, but things such as pharma factories, or dams, and the like.

here's a BBC analysis of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11932041
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 04:28:04 pm »

It's not a list of military assets. Rather, it's a list of important things that should be protected because they would likely be the first targets of a strategic attack. This is to say, you won't find in it military bases, but things such as pharma factories, or dams, and the like.

Okay yea I get your point. Still only a matter of time before wikileaks does something really stupid.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:30:30 pm by smjjames »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 04:31:17 pm »

Sure--it's not exactly secret.  But it sure as hell isn't whistleblowing, and it does save certain undesirable people a lot of homework.  I don't think that list was particularly criminal but it sure said a hell of a lot about their motives (i.e. not whistleblowing anymore).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »

Okay yea I get your point. Still only a matter of time before wikileaks does something really stupid.
And thus we arrive at the slippery slope organically.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

That wasn't a list of "super secret important sites", it was a slightly classified list of "public sites that we think are kind of important", containing things like giant fucking pipelines and huge fucking ports. You know, the sort of thing that are of obvious strategic value to anyone who takes so much as a passing glance at them?

Now, Assange is a lunatic, considering his goal is to push the government over the edge into totalitarianism by pissing them off enough (because, as we all know, totalitarian governments never stick around very long), but he hasn't actually done anything illegal. He's a publisher, and was never under any obligation not to release the information, unlike his sources.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 04:39:55 pm »

I think it's a shame that my country's government and politicians are willing to act in such a way to keep me from knowing things that can potentially greatly affect me.

How on earth does a list of the most important strategic sites to the US affect you?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »

The Dept. of Ironic Statements has released this response to the latest Wikileaks scandal:

Yeah, say what you will about the Wikileaks guys, but no matter what you think of them, you have to laugh at this:
New media has empowered citizens around the world to report on their circumstances, express opinions on world events, and exchange information in environments sometimes hostile to such exercises of individuals’ right to freedom of expression. At the same time, we are concerned about the determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information. We mark events such as World Press Freedom Day in the context of our enduring commitment to support and expand press freedom and the free flow of information in this digital age.

Yes, that's a direct quote of the State Department website. They then invite you to check out their facebook page.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 04:45:41 pm »

Code: [Select]
Activating Devil's Advocate mode...Activated.
What has this last leak done for "censored and silenced" people?  Who is oppressed that this leak has brought to light?  I don't see any disagreement here.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 04:46:11 pm »

It was more the whole blatantness of it I think.

In all seriousness, if Wikileaks actially wants to do whistleblowing, they should work on congress since that's where its needed.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »

How on earth does a list of the most important strategic sites to the US affect you?

Well, if there's a nuclear war he could always run to them and hide :D.   
Blargh.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »

Well, if there's a nuclear war he could always run to them and hide :D.   
More seriously, it gives insight into the country's priorities. I agree I'm not quite sure what the point of this leak was, but there's probably as much vague benefit as there is vague risk.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 04:58:10 pm »

Code: [Select]
Activating Devil's Advocate mode...Activated.
What has this last leak done for "censored and silenced" people?  Who is oppressed that this leak has brought to light?  I don't see any disagreement here.

Your devils advocate mode must be a top model, as your questions are excellent in that they are misleading and focus in utterly the wrong direction. I was not suggesting that wikileaks should be invited to talk about their work for censored and silenced people. That is silly and uninteresting. It is interesting to note the methods by which the latest round with wikileaks has been fought. Setting aside the idea of whether or not it is justified, those are the methods by which today's effective censorship must happen.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54