Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48451 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #780 on: December 29, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »

Why Manning?  Didn't he release US military documents, not French political documents?
Shoes...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 29, 2010, 05:45:38 pm »

The information come from the American document.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 29, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »

The biggest thing (or at least juiciest stuff) was US diplomatic cables, not military stuff.  And those have dirt on Eeeeeverybody.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 29, 2010, 08:21:19 pm »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/fbi_raided_texas_firm_paypal_probe_picH4ReYZve9AxJXznkfhJ

The FBI said the coordinated attacks amount to felony violations of a federal law that covers the “unauthorized and knowing transmission of code or commands resulting in intentional damage to a protected computer system.”
Except that is harmless to the computer system and does no damage to it at all... It merely slows it down or stops it for the time in which the DDoS is going on.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:23:44 pm by alway »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 29, 2010, 08:25:12 pm »

I'm going to laugh if all the FBI turns up from their raid is TOR nodes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 29, 2010, 08:27:34 pm »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/fbi_raided_texas_firm_paypal_probe_picH4ReYZve9AxJXznkfhJ

The FBI said the coordinated attacks amount to felony violations of a federal law that covers the “unauthorized and knowing transmission of code or commands resulting in intentional damage to a protected computer system.”
Except that is harmless to the computer system and does no damage to it at all... It merely slows it down or stops it for the time in which the DDoS is going on.
Haven't you ever played Slave Hack?  DDOSes permanently degrade your hardware, so you have to buy it all over again!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 29, 2010, 08:30:00 pm »

Damage, of course, will be defined as the disruption of service resulting in a loss of profit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 30, 2010, 06:26:19 pm »

Been away for a couple days.

The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions.

Not that Manning's intentions were good so much as they were petty and stupid... "Oh, I'ma get them militaries by stealing all these random messages sent by people who were not them to people who were also not them and sending them to a random third party!" He was disgusted by small, isolated incidents he felt his direct superiors mishandled, so he stole documents from an entirely different branch of US operations and leaked them, without regards for their contents. In doing so, he put his head on the chopping block, and, quite hilariously, accomplished exactly nothing that he wanted, aside from a smug sense of self-importance.

I don't get this.  You're saying absolutely nothing here but a bunch of random negative assumptions about the character of a guy you know very little about.  I suppose attributing his actions to good intentions is also an assumption, but it would seem more likely that it was an act of conscience than a petty attention-seeking scheme, considering the consequences he surely knew he faced.

You also - and this is the really big thing I keep trying to drill into your head - don't understand that humans are inherently self-serving.

I hear this every single time I ever say anything the least bit idealistic or positive about humanity in general.  I might believe it if it was something I only heard occassionally, but this is the argument I get from every misanthropic cynic I ever encounter. 

A endorses necessary evils as self-defense against B's actual evil.
B endorses necessary evils as self-defense against A's actual evil.
If A and B would attempt at least enough trust to communicate properly, they'd discover they amount to a very sad, pathetic scene. 

Then there's the No True Scotsman you keep pulling, where someone is only "acting with their conscience" or "with good intentions" if you personally agree with what they're doing. I suppose it really is inconceivable that anyone could ever think something you don't like is morally right, so obviously everyone that does anything you disagree with is evil, because I mean, what's right is just so glaringly obvious to everyone, not to mention universal... ::)

Yeah it basically is.  Respect and kindness are quite universal and intuitive, if requiring a little effort once in a while.

Golden Rule.

Yes I know the counter to the golden rule.  "That means if I like to be kicked in the face, that I should kick other people in the face, right?"  No.  You may know someone who enjoys golden showers, but you most likely would not appreciate one uninvited.  Just as you would prefer others have respect for your needs and preferences, you should make every effort to have respect for other's.  It doesn't take rocket science to understand that most people don't like to be kicked in the face, thus you shouldn't do so unless invited to.  Problem solved.  Golden rule upheld.  Simple.  Universal.

Relevance to the discussion:  People don't like to be lied to or taken advantage of.  People like to know when these things are being done to them.  Corporations/governments around the world have lied to/taken advantage of people.  Manning/Wikileaks are letting people know.  One is acting according to golden rule.  One isn't. 

Also, on the subject of whether the information released is worth anything. 

1.  You seem to have completely forgotten about the war logs, which is also attributed to Manning and was most certainly not trivial.
2.  Why is it that the same people who call the leaked information trivial are also the same people who shamelessly call for Assange/Manning's blood?  Doesn't add up.
3.  Also, yes a lot of this stuff was previously known, but not in a substantive capacity.  For instance, everybody knew that civilians were dying in the wars.  However, scale and ratios were hotly disputed for years.  Now many of those disputes have been put to rest.  No more disputing sources or willful ignorance excused by lack of official information.  The only question now is how many deaths aren't reported at all.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:01:10 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 01, 2011, 03:12:19 am »

Been away for a couple days.

The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions.

Not that Manning's intentions were good so much as they were petty and stupid... "Oh, I'ma get them militaries by stealing all these random messages sent by people who were not them to people who were also not them and sending them to a random third party!" He was disgusted by small, isolated incidents he felt his direct superiors mishandled, so he stole documents from an entirely different branch of US operations and leaked them, without regards for their contents. In doing so, he put his head on the chopping block, and, quite hilariously, accomplished exactly nothing that he wanted, aside from a smug sense of self-importance.

I don't get this.  You're saying absolutely nothing here but a bunch of random negative assumptions about the character of a guy you know very little about.  I suppose attributing his actions to good intentions is also an assumption, but it would seem more likely that it was an act of conscience than a petty attention-seeking scheme, considering the consequences he surely knew he faced.

I never said he was after attention, only that his actions were petty and misguided. Chain of events:

Manning decides he doesn't much like the military after seeing some trivial, isolated events mishandled by low ranking officers -> Manning decides to try to hurt the military by leaking a bunch of documents he stole from the state department (which is, notably, not the military) -> Manning brags about this in a chatroom -> Manning has spent the better part of the last year in solitary for his own protection -> the leaks didn't actually contain anything important (well, if they provided solid enough evidence to bring down Sarkozy I might have to make the concession that "yes, they did manage to hurt a deserving party, although notably one entirely unrelated to the US," though since these were US documents that were stolen, that meant our diplomats knew about it, and thus had a bargaining chip to manipulate him with, so that coming to light might still be for the worse (after all, even if he's brought down, he'll probably be replaced by someone as bad or worse)), so Manning laid his head on the chopping block for nothing.

I suppose pundits and petty figures in mostly irrelevant political arenas got some new things to harp on about ineffectually, but that's not all that great for anyone but them, and I doubt Manning was on a quest to bring them some new material...

You also - and this is the really big thing I keep trying to drill into your head - don't understand that humans are inherently self-serving.

I hear this every single time I ever say anything the least bit idealistic or positive about humanity in general.  I might believe it if it was something I only heard occassionally, but this is the argument I get from every misanthropic cynic I ever encounter.

A endorses necessary evils as self-defense against B's actual evil.
B endorses necessary evils as self-defense against A's actual evil.
If A and B would attempt at least enough trust to communicate properly, they'd discover they amount to a very sad, pathetic scene.

"Misanthropic cynic"? Wouldn't that require I was bitter about it? I'm just stating plain fact. If you bothered to read the full explanation of that which I've posted god knows how many times in various threads, and I believe two or three times in this thread alone (at least twice in response to you specifically) you'd see it's not nearly so simple as "herp people are bastards derp." Reality is, of course, far more complex than can be put to words, but still I try, however ineptly it may turn out. I never have felt myself all that eloquent, after all, but that still doesn't stop me from speaking.

Then there's the No True Scotsman you keep pulling, where someone is only "acting with their conscience" or "with good intentions" if you personally agree with what they're doing. I suppose it really is inconceivable that anyone could ever think something you don't like is morally right, so obviously everyone that does anything you disagree with is evil, because I mean, what's right is just so glaringly obvious to everyone, not to mention universal... ::)

Yeah it basically is.  Respect and kindness are quite universal and intuitive, if requiring a little effort once in a while.

Golden Rule.

Yes I know the counter to the golden rule.  "That means if I like to be kicked in the face, that I should kick other people in the face, right?"  No.  You may know someone who enjoys golden showers, but you most likely would not appreciate one uninvited.  Just as you would prefer others have respect for your needs and preferences, you should make every effort to have respect for other's.  It doesn't take rocket science to understand that most people don't like to be kicked in the face, thus you shouldn't do so unless invited to.  Problem solved.  Golden rule upheld.  Simple.  Universal.

Look, you can't just tell everyone "Hey you guys, you should totally play nice and not try to gain any kind of upper hand over each other ever or ever act in the sole interest of yourself and the people you're responsible for helping ever you guys," and expect them to pay you any heed. People can only be trusted to act fairly when there is something in place to force them to. That's not to say they will inevitably act unfairly if there is not, only that they cannot be trusted not to.

Say you walk down the street. 99% of the people you see wouldn't dream of robbing you, maybe 1% would if there weren't ramifications for doing so, maybe .1% would anyways. How many people are there in a city? How many does it take to rob you? You can't depend on the general... apathy is probably a better word than benevolence, of humanity when your life and livelihood is at stake, because it doesn't take that many exceptions to the general rule to fuck over everyone else. It is the reaction to this general principle that has created the brutal clusterfuck that is politics. In this day and age it's actually becoming milder and more benevolent, yet you want to burn it all because we haven't yet managed to weed out the old corruption, or completely eliminate human error? There's no doubt that there's corruption, and that they make mistakes, but they manage to do less of both than their citizenry, and certainly the other contemporary governments. Compared to humanity as a whole, western governments are paragons of efficiency and virtue. You have to stop and think about just how much worse they could be; case and point: everything that has ever happened in human history.

As an aside, it is reaction to this principle that gives us laws and enforcers of laws, and soldiers of all forms for the games between states. Diplomacy is a game every bit as vicious as war, and indirectly just as bloody. You cannot be selfless and passive in both face and truth and expect anything but the most abject of failure at the hands of people who aren't constrained by some arbitrary set of rules. And so intelligence agencies must gather as much information as possible on opposing ("opposing" including those of friendly nations as well as neutral and hostile, since it's always a competition, even when you're working together) diplomats and prominent (or potentially prominent) political figures, no matter how trivial or invasive, since you never know what might end up useful to your own diplomats. Beyond that, it's the diplomat's job to protect the interests of the nation they represent, which includes acting to literally protect its citizens, particularly agents of the state, from foreign powers, even when they've committed crimes within that nation's jurisdiction (that goes double when said crime is committed by an agent of the state who was ordered to commit it; you can't send someone in to do something, then hang them out to dry when you've got what you wanted, that's Stupid Evil supervillain shit right there).

1.  You seem to have completely forgotten about the war logs, which is also attributed to Manning and was most certainly not trivial.
What did it accomplish? Sweeping reforms? Criminal investigations? Jack shit, aside from giving a few pundits another talking point? Guess which one it was.

2.  Why is it that the same people who call the leaked information trivial are also the same people who shamelessly call for Assange/Manning's blood?  Doesn't add up.
I do not. Assange, lunatic douchebag though he may be, hasn't committed any crime. The only thing that makes him any different from any other journalist or publisher is that he's as much of an attention whore as Glenn Beck. And I have done nothing but disparage Manning as misguided, and even gone so far as to say, in these exact words "he doesn't deserve what he's going to get, he was just a dumbshit kid who thought he was doing the right thing." Admittedly my opinion on "thought he was doing the right thing" has changed since it came to light that it was just a petty act of revenge against an institution he (wrongly) felt betrayed by, that hurt an entirely different institution, but it doesn't change the heart of what I was saying.

3.  Also, yes a lot of this stuff was previously known, but not in a substantive capacity.  For instance, everybody knew that civilians were dying in the wars.  However, scale and ratios were hotly disputed for years.  Now many of those disputes have been put to rest.  No more disputing sources or willful ignorance excused by lack of official information.  The only question now is how many deaths aren't reported at all.
You mean people die when bombs go off nearby and when people with guns are shooting at other people with guns in the general proximity!?!?!?!?!
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 01, 2011, 03:59:44 am »

Pseudonymous, I don't think you're going to win anyone over by making sarcastic remarks about civilians dying during war. You're not supposed to set off explosions right next to them.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 01, 2011, 04:56:02 am »

Say you have a drone. It sends a bomb through a specific window of a specific house, where you know the target happens to be. The explosion flattens the house, and sends shrapnel into every other building in the two-bit village it happens to be in. Bombs are kind of like that, you know. What with the blast radius and shrapnel and all. It's still far preferable to sending soldiers in to deal with them, since attacking a fortified location on foot is about the most retarded thing you can do aside from bombing your own encampment, if you have any other option.

There is always collateral damage in wartorn areas. Bullets miss their target and punch through a shoddy wall to kill some kid. Explosives send shrapnel flying a hundred yards, through a shoddy wall to kill some kid. Intelligence sometimes turns out wrong, and the bomb gets put in the wrong place, flying through a shoddy wall to kill some kid, or you raid the wrong house, and fall through a shoddy floor to land on some kid.

In all seriousness, so long as the deliberate targeting of civilians is rooted out wherever it's found, it's all within acceptable behavior ranges. Soldiers in the field can end up thrown into life threatening situations at any moment, and if it comes down to shooting at someone who seems likely from their limited perspective to become a threat in the immediate future and potentially getting killed, what the fuck are they supposed to do? Die? People make mistakes. Sometimes people die because of that. You want to see them swinging from the gallows because they acted a little too rashly when their lives were on the line?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 05:10:20 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 01, 2011, 05:06:46 am »

two-bit village

fortified location

[TVTropes humor link when talking about civilian deaths]

God DAMN it! What is with you people and trying to be bigger trolls than I am?!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 01, 2011, 05:45:49 am »

two-bit village

fortified location
[image]

I'm don't mean fortified against artillery or armor, I mean fortified against infantry, which can be loosely accomplished with a couple of hills and some walls occupied by some guys with rifles (you know, the kind of thing you'd expect in a rural mountain backwater). It's not a position that will hold very long, but it's still pants-on-head retarded to send foot soldiers in when you can just drop a bomb on the house of the guy you want dead, even if that means a chance for collateral damage. By doing so you put your own troops, who you should be doing everything in your power to keep alive, at risk, and since apcs or transport helicopters are rather slow and noticeable, at least compared to a small explosive launched from an unmanned platform little bigger than a car.

[TVTropes humor link when talking about civilian deaths]

God DAMN it! What is with you people and trying to be bigger trolls than I am?!

Considering the topic, I felt it best to lighten the mood a little. Hence the running gag of some random object going through a piece of shoddy construction work to kill a random bystander, in the last case framing the deadly projectile as a soldier falling through a poorly constructed floor and landing on someone, since "and killing everyone inside because it's so dark you can just identify movement and general shapes and you're so keyed up you're almost shooting your own damn shadow" is unnecessarily grim.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 01, 2011, 06:47:02 am »

...but it's still pants-on-head retarded to send foot soldiers in when you can just drop a bomb on the house of the guy you want dead, even if that means a chance for collateral damage.

And then we wonder why an American would drop so much dox on his own government like that. And we wonder why they hate us.

American infantry has gone into worse, like, oh, Fallujah. The real reason we don't send boots on the ground in Pakistan is because seeing real live Marines on Pakistani soil might make them all go completely apeshit, kind of like what would happen if real live Pakistani soldiers showed up in rural Texas after they've bombed it several times, which I kind of wish would happen just so they'd know firsthand what it's like.

Is 'collateral damage' really still in use? You know what that term means, right? It's not a hole in a wall or a shattered picture. It's some five-year-old kid screaming when he sees, through the smoke, his mom's head roll around on the carpet away from the pieces of scattered meat that used to be her body, and then screaming again because he just noticed half his fucking leg is gone at the knee and the shock's starting to wear off. (Ooh, that's not gonna grow back, is it? Hope you like hopping, Stumpy!)

You know, it makes sense to kill the women and children on a genetic basis anyway. Screw it, we're not getting anywhere with these half-measures so let's go all the fucking way. Dump shitloads of Sarin and VX on the whole Swat Valley, gunning survivors down from helicopters like Sarah Palin shooting wolves, then upload it to the front page of some .mil site with a soundtrack from Slayer. (Heh, what're you gonna do now, Julian?) Zero American casualties and no more terrorists in the region. Problem solved!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 01, 2011, 07:09:14 am »

Yeah, that in a nutshell would be why America isn't gonna win the war in Afghanistan any time soon.

If someone bombed your house, killing your family and claiming they were merely "collateral damage"... well, you're gonna be angry, right?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54