Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48518 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2010, 07:09:53 pm »

While i don't see there being too much of an moral issue about the leaked cables, as they did little to harm the uninvolved and innocent.   Aside from exposing some of the politicking, and being detrimental to international diplomatic trust, they are rather mundane, putting off the record common knowledge into print.

I do take rather severe issue with some of wikileaks' past actions, such as publishing the names of afghani civilians who were willing to risk their lives to assist american forces by offering information about local taliban.  Whatever you think of american foreign policy, i think it can be agreed on that it was an immoral action by wikileaks to freely and indiscriminately identify them.

For me, that has cemented wikileaks as an ignoble organization promoting it's founder's policital agenda rather than the service of mankind.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2010, 07:16:03 pm »

I do take rather severe issue with some of wikileaks' past actions, such as publishing the names of afghani civilians who were willing to risk their lives to assist american forces by offering information about local taliban.  Whatever you think of american foreign policy, i think it can be agreed on that it was an immoral action by wikileaks to freely and indiscriminately identify them.
I must have missed this. I heard officials claiming this might happen, but I never heard anything about it actually getting released. Link?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »

Ditto here.  I certainly believe that it happened, but I'd like to see the actual information.  Supposedly, Wikileaks consults with professional journalists to edit out information that could harm the easily harmable, but that sounds like a hopeless task even if true.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »

For me, that has cemented wikileaks as an ignoble organization promoting it's founder's policital agenda rather than the service of mankind.

I'm somewhat in agreement. While I respect the rebel cause, and Assange claims they reviewed documents for "real" threats to people's safety, some of the releases have been harmful. (Afghan civilian names.) Printing what the US government considers vital targets, while not that damaging, is just not exercising common sense. It also seems like he just has it out for America, in particular. It's like disliking someone you know, getting your hands on their cellphone, and mass mailing all their texts to everyone. It's just a dick move. So far very little has come out that truly makes the US look bad. The wires are what you'd find in ANY diplomatic telegraph about host nations and important politic figures. It's just not "polite" conversation.

Unlike the Afghan papers, there is a lot less here I felt we truly needed to know, as informed citizenry. I find the diplomatic details fascinating, but I don't feel safer, more informed or more in control of my own government. I think Assange has just decided that as "star" of the international stage, America deserves to have revealed whatever he can unearth.

If in his mining he manages to find something important, I'll thank him for it sincerely. But as to his overall efforts, I'd prefer he not release every document he gets his hands on, just because he can. He starts coming across as le'enfant provocateur.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »

Unlike the Afghan papers, there is a lot less here I felt we truly needed to know, as informed citizenry. I find the diplomatic details fascinating, but I don't feel safer, more informed or more in control of my own government. I think Assange has just decided that as "star" of the international stage, America deserves to have revealed whatever he can unearth.

I don't know about his past actions, but AFAIK it could have been as much petty tantrum as anti-American agenda.  The government did pressure him not to release them, after all, so "You can't tell me what to do!" and all that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:45:44 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2010, 07:53:47 pm »

If you work at a bank, and you give some criminals the vault combination and they steal a bunch of cash that they couldn't otherwise have obtained, are you responsible?  Yes.  Yes you are, you're an accomplice.
Even if you give it to them because they have a gun to your head?

Haven't really been following along with this, but that statement kinda stuck out to me. It irks me to think that a person would be guilty of a crime if they were a victim of someone else's crime, if they used the victim as part of that crime. Would you arrest a person who was being used as a human shield because they were in the way of the police arresting the criminal holding them? I might just be blowing this out of context, though, and if so, just ignore my ranting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »

If you work at a bank, and you give some criminals the vault combination and they steal a bunch of cash that they couldn't otherwise have obtained, are you responsible?  Yes.  Yes you are, you're an accomplice.
Even if you give it to them because they have a gun to your head?

Haven't really been following along with this, but that statement kinda stuck out to me. It irks me to think that a person would be guilty of a crime if they were a victim of someone else's crime, if they used the victim as part of that crime. Would you arrest a person who was being used as a human shield because they were in the way of the police arresting the criminal holding them? I might just be blowing this out of context, though, and if so, just ignore my ranting.

Since I pretty much started the argument that line came from, I'm going to forestall any more argument over it, by giving Sowelu the benefit of the doubt and insert a "willingly" in front of giving out the combination.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2010, 07:57:00 pm »

It's not just taking it out of context, it's completely changing the metaphor.

Wikileaks never held a gun to the government's head and made them put all their apparently highly confidential super-secrets in stupid places.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »

Oh. Well in that case:
just ignore my ranting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 08:35:13 pm »

Someone needs a fucking spanking, and wikileaks has the paddles.

Honestly, can you see who's at fault first?

Diplomat A and B meet.
Diplomats part ways.
Diplomat A says something stupid about B.
'Something stupid' was recorded on paper /audio /video.
'Something stupid' is covered up and labled secret for the diplomatically hurtful nature of it.
Someone finds secret of 'something stupid' and leaks it.
Everyone bitches about someone leaking the something stupid, especially diplomat A and A's country.
Someone who leaked the "secret" gets called out for spying/treason.
Shitstorm, because no one has the mental stability or maturity to risk being called weak on the world stage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's how you fucking deal with this situation. Nothing like how it's being dealt with now.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 08:46:44 pm »

Someone needs a fucking spanking, and wikileaks has the paddles.

Honestly, can you see who's at fault first?

Diplomat A and B meet.
Diplomats part ways.
Diplomat A says something stupid about B.
'Something stupid' was recorded on paper /audio /video.
'Something stupid' is covered up and labled secret for the diplomatically hurtful nature of it.
Someone finds secret of 'something stupid' and leaks it.
Everyone bitches about someone leaking the something stupid, especially diplomat A and A's country.
Someone who leaked the "secret" gets called out for spying/treason.
Shitstorm, because no one has the mental stability or maturity to risk being called weak on the world stage.

That's how you fucking deal with this situation. Nothing like how it's being dealt with now.

I like the irony in authorities throwing temper tantrums over this kind of information being distributed, when they've all been pushing harder and harder and harder over the last 10 years for ability to collect any information they want about anybody and do whatever the hell they want with it... to the point of lining people up in front of cameras that strip them nude if they want to travel.  We're violently forced to abandon privacy and dignity and anyone who says a word about it can be put on a potential domestic terrorist watch list, yet someone strips them of their shallow facades and they all start calling for executions.

But their contradictions are to be expected.  What never ceases to amaze me is how many ordinary people will defend their behavior.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »

Uh...Diplomats *HAVE* to be candid with their departments.  PERIOD.  If they see something important, even if it's politically incorrect to say it, THEY MUST SAY IT.  Forcing them to write in a politically-correct fashion, with politically-correct omissions, can be dangerous.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2010, 09:21:22 pm »

I like the irony in authorities throwing temper tantrums over this kind of information being distributed, when they've all been pushing harder and harder and harder over the last 10 years for ability to collect any information they want about anybody and do whatever the hell they want with it... to the point of lining people up in front of cameras that strip them nude if they want to travel.  We're violently forced to abandon privacy and dignity and anyone who says a word about it can be put on a potential domestic terrorist watch list, yet someone strips them of their shallow facades and they all start calling for executions.

But their contradictions are to be expected.  What never ceases to amaze me is how many ordinary people will defend their behavior.
Hey guys how is it going in this threa-
WOAH
Dammit, who oiled up this slope? It's slippery as all hell.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »

As the king of super-grippy nonsliding boots, I'm willing to say that he's not being unreasonable.  Bombastic maybe, but he's not technically wrong, and it's a reasonable sentiment.

And what did I say about tossing around the term "slippery slope" where it doesn't really belong?  Or heck, using it at all.  "Camelnose" is where it's at.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2010, 09:31:35 pm »

Dammit, who oiled up this slope? It's slippery as all hell.

The slope isn't all I've oiled up, if you catch my meaning.

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54