Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48693 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #465 on: December 14, 2010, 12:14:12 pm »

Yay!

^ _ ^

Assange is being freed!

EDIT:

Maybe.

The Swedish authorities are challenging the decision... : (
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:30:06 pm by Outcast Orange »
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 14, 2010, 12:41:56 pm »

This seems completely ridiculous.  He's clearly not gonna run away.  Heck, most alleged rapists are granted bail, and they don't have a reputation and huge collateral keeping them in place.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 14, 2010, 01:06:44 pm »

This seems completely ridiculous.  He's clearly not gonna run away.  Heck, most alleged rapists are granted bail, and they don't have a reputation and huge collateral keeping them in place.

Not to mention that a lot of them didn't didn't turn themselves in (which most reports seem to say he did).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 14, 2010, 04:06:35 pm »

Yeah, but guys, if they let him out then that'll tell all the cyberterroristnazis of the world that they won't even be imprisoned before being tried for unrelated and trumped up charges! All hell will break loose as the evil people of the world realize there are no meaningful negative consequences to their actions! Or something!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:42 pm »

It's spreading.
http://www.openleaks.org/ (soon)
http://brusselsleaks.com/
http://balkanleaks.eu/
http://www.indoleaks.org/

Openleaks is being set up by a few former wikileaks staffers who want to do things in a different, more discreet style, and less cult-of-personality. The other three have a more regional focus, especially brusselsleaks seems promising. To me anyway. They will have to prove themselves as trustworthy and secure first though, indoleaks in particular need to work on the latter.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 15, 2010, 05:08:15 am »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8202414/WikiLeaks-Julian-Assange-sex-assault-court-case-branded-a-show-trial.html

Solitary confinement for 23 hours a day.  Ripping up his mail.  The equivalent of $314440 USD for bail.  Because he's been weakly accused of a crime of questionable severity, and one of the accusers has even left the prosecution.

Yet they continue to deny it's not politically motivated.  Do they really think we're that stupid or do they just not care at all about their credibility?  They should be scraping for every nugget of trust they can reclaim, yet they seem to be having fun throwing all of it away.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 15, 2010, 05:14:26 am »

Rape is a crime of questionable severity?
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 15, 2010, 05:22:25 am »

This is why I object to the usage of this word.  It takes no context into account.  If what he is charged of is rape, then we're probably going to need several hundred million more interpol red alerts.  I've met a lot of guys who are dicks in personal relationships, and have pissed off women in similar ways.  I've never heard them called rapists.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #473 on: December 15, 2010, 05:41:41 am »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8202414/WikiLeaks-Julian-Assange-sex-assault-court-case-branded-a-show-trial.html

Solitary confinement for 23 hours a day.  Ripping up his mail.  The equivalent of $314440 USD for bail.  Because he's been weakly accused of a crime of questionable severity, and one of the accusers has even left the prosecution.

Yet they continue to deny it's not politically motivated.  Do they really think we're that stupid or do they just not care at all about their credibility?  They should be scraping for every nugget of trust they can reclaim, yet they seem to be having fun throwing all of it away.
Total bullshit. And nothing i can do personally really.
I am feeling unbelievable pity for Assange.  And frustration at total helplessness of myself.
Let's just hope this doesn't turn into an assassination attempt.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 15, 2010, 05:48:55 am »

This is why I object to the usage of this word.  It takes no context into account.  If what he is charged of is rape, then we're probably going to need several hundred million more interpol red alerts.  I've met a lot of guys who are dicks in personal relationships, and have pissed off women in similar ways.  I've never heard them called rapists.

So what would you rather we use?
Shoes...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:37 am »

He's not even remotely accused of rape, he's accused of unprovable disorderly conduct during consensual intercourse, aka bullshit charges labeled rape for maximum damage, dropped the day they were pressed and unearthed when he released the leak.
In the last post, I admitted being partisan on this matter, but on the light of the last batch of information, you are the one being irrational.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B669H20101207

Edit: And I was trying to add something like that, but she does it way better than I could possibly have : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/naomi-wolf/jaccuse-sweden-britain-an_b_795899.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:13:54 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 15, 2010, 05:59:38 am »

So what would you rather we use?

I don't know.  I think it's a failure of our language which needs to be adjusted, though.  Rape is a term used far too broadly for lack of more specific alternatives.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:16 am »

He pissed women off, that's what! Apparently pissing women off is a serious crime, worse than say child molestastion or even rape.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 15, 2010, 06:24:11 am »

He pissed women off, that's what! Apparently pissing women off is a serious crime, worse than say child molestastion or even rape.
Off course! Woman can actually sue!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #479 on: December 15, 2010, 06:30:21 am »

So in something going wrong during intercourse is all blamed on the one who doesn't whine about it or deal with it?

Oh excuse me there. I meant to say that Assange is being accused of having sex with them improperly, according to them, just to find out some personal information about him. If they are so concerned about their health, then they should get STD tests. Many if they're unsure.

It's like being called to court because you did anal instead of normal intercourse by accident. And the receiver does not bring it up until after it's done.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54