Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54

Author Topic: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!  (Read 48672 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Wikileaks guy arrested, Senator attempting retroactive law changing!
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2010, 11:08:12 pm »

For example if you want revenge on someone who cheated or who dumped you, you should use a punishment with dating/sex/fidelity involved.

quoted for relevance.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2010, 11:31:06 pm »

You're not quite getting it. Putting the victim on trial is really, really low. First, you don't even know for sure Anna Ardin is actually one of them, since their names haven't officially been released. And this doesn't even fit in with the steps of vengeance thing.
Look. This has nothing to do with Julian Assange, the Liberator of Information/Terrorist/whatever you want to call him. This is a very personal thing involving Assange and two women who claim molestation. Maybe it really is all a smokescreen to discredit him. That doesn't matter, since it hasn't seen a trial. You don't have the right to assume someone is lying about sexual assault based on vague speculation. So don't. Its incredibly disrespectful to anyone who's been involved in such things, because this sort of thing inevitably pops up. "she was asking for it/she's a raging feminist! she thinks all men are rapists!/whatever."
Maybe it's all a sinister plot. Given the circumstances, that could easily be the case. But you don't know that and you have no right to assume it.
Also, I'm not sure if that condom thing is actually accurate. Unlawful coercion is one of the charges leveled against him, and that's certainly not within the realm of not wearing a condom. Can we confirm thats actually the situation?

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2010, 11:40:01 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D5rXPrfnU3G0

EDIT:

I found it on 4chan. I'm not sure that it was leaked by WikiLeaks, but I still feel it's relevant.
At least to paint a clearer picture of the carelessness of individuals in our military.

EDIT: I put the age verify back on just to be safe.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:45:15 pm by Outcast Orange »
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2010, 11:41:39 pm »

You're not quite getting it. Putting the victim on trial is really, really low. First, you don't even know for sure Anna Ardin is actually one of them, since their names haven't officially been released. And this doesn't even fit in with the steps of vengeance thing.
Look. This has nothing to do with Julian Assange, the Liberator of Information/Terrorist/whatever you want to call him. This is a very personal thing involving Assange and two women who claim molestation. Maybe it really is all a smokescreen to discredit him. That doesn't matter, since it hasn't seen a trial. You don't have the right to assume someone is lying about sexual assault based on vague speculation. So don't. Its incredibly disrespectful to anyone who's been involved in such things, because this sort of thing inevitably pops up. "she was asking for it/she's a raging feminist! she thinks all men are rapists!/whatever."
Maybe it's all a sinister plot. Given the circumstances, that could easily be the case. But you don't know that and you have no right to assume it.
Also, I'm not sure if that condom thing is actually accurate. Unlawful coercion is one of the charges leveled against him, and that's certainly not within the realm of not wearing a condom. Can we confirm thats actually the situation?

I agree somewhat.  I don't approve of the rabid character assassination of the two girls that's going on.  It's just distasteful.  Though if it all turns out to be true, which it likely is going by all the evidence that's been gathered (it's a bit more than idle speculation at this point), then their actions are equally distasteful and harmful to actual victims of sexual assault... which I am intimately familiar with myself and genuinely outraged at anyone who abuses the accusation, and doubly so when knowingly provoking such an extremely high-stakes situation for all those involved.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 08, 2010, 11:45:30 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0&has_verified=1

EDIT:

I found it on 4chan. I'm not sure that it was leaked by WikiLeaks, but I still feel it's relevant.
At least to paint a clearer picture of the carelessness of individuals in our military.

It was leaked by WikiLeaks; Assange was actually the editor (or took credit for it when he appeared on the Colbert Report, if I recall, shut up my sources are totally legit really I swear).

As for the women; I assume they're telling the truth, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that Assange is a douche (not that that has anything to do with his role in running WikiLeaks). From what I've heard, the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion to what these women wanted to accomplish (the STD check, etc), and I'm mostly irritated with the extent to which it seems it has only escalated to the degree that it has because of political motivation.

EDIT: Political motivation on the parts of a variety of governments, I mean.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:03 pm »

I agree somewhat.  I don't approve of the rabid character assassination of the two girls that's going on.  It's just distasteful.  Though if it all turns out to be true, which it likely is going by all the evidence that's been gathered (it's a bit more than idle speculation at this point), then their actions are equally distasteful and harmful to actual victims of sexual assault... which I am intimately familiar with myself and genuinely outraged at anyone who abuses the accusation, and doubly so when knowingly provoking such an extremely high-stakes situation for all those involved.

Really? What evidence has been gathered? Since it hasn't cleared trial, I'm going to assume you must be a member of Swedish law enforcement or the judiciary. That is, after all, the only way you'd have gathered legitimate information about the case.
Look, I don't mean to sound aggressive, but nobody really knows a thing about this case. Just a lot of idle speculation from bloggers, and bloggers reprinting other bloggers, and then people assuming since ten bloggers say it it must be true. Truth is nobody knows the details. So don't jump the gun on attacking them. If it becomes clear they made it up, then have at, what the hell.
But you don't know. Its still in the courts.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2010, 11:59:47 pm »

Really? What evidence has been gathered? Since it hasn't cleared trial, I'm going to assume you must be a member of Swedish law enforcement or the judiciary. That is, after all, the only way you'd have gathered legitimate information about the case.
Look, I don't mean to sound aggressive, but nobody really knows a thing about this case. Just a lot of idle speculation from bloggers, and bloggers reprinting other bloggers, and then people assuming since ten bloggers say it it must be true. Truth is nobody knows the details. So don't jump the gun on attacking them. If it becomes clear they made it up, then have at, what the hell.

Except no. It was deposed, then removed due to lack of evidence. Then it got put back on track, with a big gun of sweden law for the prosecution. From what ive gathered it's there mostly to give that guy some creds. And hey, would not be surprising if the USA or any other government used that to destroy his reputations. Would not hurt if he was to be prosecuted in the USA.

Edit: Creds for him, and possibly reinforce the rape law on some points.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2010, 12:02:42 am »

Well, as proven by the existence of this thread, courts are not the only reliable source in the world for information.  It appears the girls have been in contact with the media and explained their stories.  Since revealing their identities, various people online have been picking apart every bit of data they can dig up surrounding the events, including their personal communications.  It's slightly shady stuff, but more distasteful behavior than doubtful information.

Yes, I don't personally know everything for certain.  Personal interactions are very complex things, and the whole story doesn't come out so easily.  My commentary is just my own idle rambling of personal thoughts, but my point is they're not based on as little as you make it out to be.  I am truthfully waiting for things to play out before making up my mind about things completely, but there's no evil in commenting on things as they develop.  I do think it's wrong that people have been picking apart those girl's personal lives as much as they have.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2010, 12:11:24 am »

Sorry, when did they come forward? I'm pretty sure they haven't.

Oh, and Muppet, I'm not actually sure what you mean. You think that the rape claim was thrown in to discredit him, but the rest good, or all of it is a setup, or what?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:17:33 am by Renault »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2010, 12:23:15 am »

Facebook is a really bad metric for gauging public interest.

Yeah we should use twitter hashtags. oh. Wait...
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2010, 12:29:07 am »

http://www.tampabay.com/news/swedish-women-describe-encounters-with-assange-in-police-statements/1138775
On the day of the seminar, she went to lunch with Assange and others afterward. Later, Assange and the woman went to a movie. In the darkness, they kissed and fondled.

Two days later, she called him, and they decided he would spend the night at her apartment outside Stockholm. Although she had apparently insisted that Assange wear a condom, she said he had sex with her the next morning while she was asleep and he didn't use a condom.

After breakfast they parted on friendly terms. When she asked whether he would call her, he said, ''Yes, I will.'' But he did not.

Miss W called the office of Miss A, whom she had met at the seminar. They were shocked to find Assange had slept with both of them. They contacted him and asked him to take a test for STDs. When he refused, they went to the police Aug. 20.

Information from the Daily Mail, London; the Australi

It's pretty clearly not rape. As a sidenote, I think you should avoid RAEGing at people's posts when you obviously did not google about this either. Like Buddha (or Mohammed. Or George Bush. I always mix these guys up) said: look not in your brother's eye for a straw when you have a camel needling your own. Or something like that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:36:48 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2010, 12:30:38 am »

Oh, and Muppet, I'm not actually sure what you mean. You think that the rape claim was thrown in to discredit him, but the rest good, or all of it is a setup, or what?

I know I saw a link on a news site saying that they had, and had personally clarified that they didn't want to press charges, just get the STD tests.  I don't think they're doing interviews or anything, but have simply made a couple statements and aren't actively trying anymore to hide their identities.  I could be wrong, though.  The whole thing is quite a mess.

If I were at home, I would have saved the link... I've just been browsing this stuff at work all day, between keeping up with my productivity requirements.

Even if they haven't these two girls have been pretty thoroughly researched by the online community.  Sofia Wilen and Anna Ardin have both had personal communications dug up regarding the encounters along with pictures of them together with Assange.  It's pretty unlikely that they're wrongly identified.  It's pretty difficult to hide in the midst of this kind of scandal in this age of the internet.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

Its Puppet :P

More seriously, i think that they did have sex, and thats almost impossible it's all a setup. Still, she could have easily changed her mind when she found out that assange slept wiht another girl so soon,  and i would not be surprised if some people heard of it and pushed or pressured them to press the accusation the second time. 

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2010, 12:41:52 am »

They haven't come out publicly. You need a better news site. But yes, we know who they are. Thats the problem, you see. I guess the rule should be "Famous and controversial people can't be charged with rape," since apparently doing so gets you crucified. Yes, it is a mess. And all this speculation about their motives is making it messier.
I can sort of see how it might be hard to really warp your minds around it if you're not used to seeing this sort of thing, but this happens pretty much every time someone brings rape charges against famous men. Its always the same and they always end up skating away over it. With R. Kelly, she was just some kid out for money. With Kobe Bryant, some dumb gold digger. And with these two, they're CIA plants out to slander a hero. Those are just the most famous cases I can think of off the top of my head. If you really care about women who have been raped, then you need to stand up and make it clear that they can't be treated like this. Even if they are spooks. Look at the precedent you're setting. situation you're maintaining. When the case gets thrown out, destroy them.
Until then, leave them alone. They might be rape victims. And look what you're doing to them.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/swedish-women-describe-encounters-with-assange-in-police-statements/1138775
Are you saying that going to the police counts as going to the media, or are you just adding the story for context's sake? Salmon claimed they came to the media with their stories, that was what I meant by come forward. Obviously they came to the police, or none of this would have happened.

Oh! Puppet, sorry. I guess I hear blue, I think Muppet. Oscar, as it were--always my favorite. Big cutie.
What you propose is possible. They could be pressured to bring the case. That doesn't mean its not a legitimate case.

Oh, Chairman--didn't see the edit. Yeah, thats one story. I've read it. Its main source is from the Daily Mail, which provided that particular element. And the Daily Mail is a laughable newspaper. But there are more stories than that. Why? Because nobody knows for sure..
But Like I said, you missed my point--they came forward. Not publicly. And look, I know given your massive research of the case you've decided its clearly not rape, but the courts haven't. No offense, but I'll wait for their judgment.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:52:55 am by Renault »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2010, 12:49:33 am »

Clearly, I have found a reliable news source for this whole scandal: NMA TV

EDIT: also, yeah, no trashing the plaintiff in a rape case. ever. not cool.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54