Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor Malware Issue  (Read 1718 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Minor Malware Issue
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:00:34 am »

Well, after trying to print something off a public (AKA: Non-student account) computer, I wasn't entirely surprised to find that my flash drive had an easily removable form of malware. After getting rid of it, however, I have a bit of a problem: it replaced the folders on the root of the drive with shortcuts (which led to the malware, bufec.scr) and removed the folders. The actual paths are still there, however, I cannot easily get to them. I managed to create a new folder (which caused it to merge with the original, and made it visible again) but this doesn't work with all of them (plus, I can't remember all of the folders that I had on the root drive).

Aside from this minor issue, my flash drive still has all its information preserved on it (and I've used three different scanners to make sure the bug got nuked). Any suggestions?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Re: Minor Malware Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:57:35 am »

do you still have shortcuts to everything?

make sure everything is easily accessible and delete anything malware created or you might get a relapse
i like goats

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 10:54:55 am »

Get all the data oyu can off of it and format.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:05:14 pm »

Get all the data oyu can off of it and format.

Indeed, then sell it here : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72154.0

;)
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:20:56 pm »

I would troll the web for something that could read the disk's FAT and/or an erased file recovery program that works with Flash disks. Those programs may be able to recover your disk's data by reading the disk directly and restoring the files' and folders' previous state

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:22:36 pm »

Well, again, the "folders" were never deleted; the paths are still there with all the information, but I have to manually type in the path in order to access it. Or create a shortcut to it. Both of which are a bit of a pain. Everything is still intact on my flash drive aside from the root of it, and even there it's just the folder issue.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:27:39 pm »

Set your folder options to view hidden folders. Then turn off the folder's hidden attribute.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:49:51 pm »

Set your folder options to view hidden folders. Then turn off the folder's hidden attribute.
The folders aren't hidden; I wouldn't have overlooked such a simple solution (although I know quite a few who would). They are simply *not there*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:44:10 am »

Have you tried using a linux live-cd? I hate linux, but it can be handy for curing such woes.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:36 am »

Have you tried using a linux live-cd? I hate linux, but it can be handy for curing such woes.

Aww, but Ubuntu is so amazing! It would have been good for prevnetion too :). sorry, I swear that's all the pro linux trolling for this thread

If I understand correctly, then you should be able to use a terminal to navigate to the folders (the console in windows). Since you got malware, I assume you're using windows. You go to Start > run > cmd

Do a google search for how to navigate the dos prompt, go to your folder, list the names of all folders, and copy them one by one to somewhere else.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:40:40 am »

Some malware hides thing so thoroughly that the command prompt can't find it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:48:29 am »

Some malware hides thing so thoroughly that the command prompt can't find it.

Out of curiosity, how?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:20:51 pm »

How, I don't know. But I've encountered situations where I needed to know a directory's name to access it. A simple DIR command would not suffice.