Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist cancels job: interrupted by HORSE  (Read 2901 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist cancels job: interrupted by HORSE
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:14:47 am »

So I embarked out in the savanna, and although I was only initially bothered by a few buzzards, year 5 or so rolled around and we've got a horse problem. I'll spare you all the long rambling narrative, but here's the rundown of what happened leading up to my problem:

1) The horses initially just sorta played "chicken" with the dwarves going in and out of the fort. A few cancelled jobs, but no real problems.
2) Finally, they got really bold and a couple ran INTO the fortress, causing mass panic and job cancellation.
3) I enabled the military on a "kill:horse" expedition, but since they were all barehanded and trying to wrestle the horse to death (and horses are fast), it ended up with the wrestlers just chasing the horses back and forth, presumably to this music.
4) After locking the horse in th dining room with my wrestlers, I was hoping they'd chase it around long enough to allow me to build a few cage traps outside of the door to catch it. Alas, just as I unlocked the door and the wrestlers moved to chase it out into the cage traps, the horse freaked out and trampled on a dwarf carrying her baby, trampling the baby to death and knocking the mother unconcious on top of the cage trap, triggering it to catch her instead of the horse.
5) Cage trap plan part 2: I trapped the horse in the hospital, and had my wrestlers once again chase the damn thing around while I built more cage traps around the door. Just as I was unlocking the door, the horse fell down the well. I assumed that It would drown or something, but instead, it swam up into the tunnel (the one that I dug to open up the lake into the well) and just stood there in 3/7 water. For about 2 seasons.
6) I finally got sick of seeing the horse in my well, so I dug a flight of stairs down to it and waited for it to exit the well, go through the hospital, and get caged. Sure enough, after waiting for another 2 seasons, he did exactly that.
7) Elated that I'd finally caught the hooved menace, I toyed with what to do with him. I had my ranger train him to make it tame, but then I thought better of the "pet horse that once pissed me off and killed a baby" and decided to butcher it.
8) After setting it to be butchered, the dwarf opened the cage, and THE DAMN HORSE escaped, running amok like some sort of angry galloping santa with job cancellation spam instead of presents. And now I've discovered that because of the (tame) tag, I can't target him with my military dwarves to make them chase him around anymore. Without the dwarven keystone cops chasing him around, it's hella hard to route him through specific doorways...

suggestions?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist cancels job: interrupted by HORSE
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:21:41 am »

Magma !
The solution is always magma.

The other possibility would be to trap it inside a room and build spike traps instead of cages.

Spikes can target "friendlies" and shood pierce your horse problem pretty good.

Since its tamed you can't butcher it after that, but who cares :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:01 am »

Awesome horse is awesome!
Engrave images of it on your mayors bedroom hall.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 06:05:41 am »

So the horse (now named Rumadabsam) is finally locked away in my tower-cap farm down on the cavern level. I've already cleared out most of the beasties in the cavern level, but I'm trying to think of what to do with the bugger now...

Does Giant Cave Spider Silk mean that there's a Giant Cave Spider nearby? I haven't run into one in my explorations of the cavern, but I keep seeing the silk around...
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 06:16:13 am »

The silk will be present on the map when you embark even if there aren't GCS in your cavern ecosystem, but I don't think it's ever replenished unless a GCS is in combat and webs somebody. If there were GCS you'd be able to see them wandering around the map occasionally.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:54:00 am »

and so, the reign (rein?) of terror of Ramadabsam came to an end. I sent the wrestlers down to to the tree farm and had them patrol in a circular path for a while. Eventually, the horse got spooked in the proper direction and went out the airlock into the newly penetrated second cavern system. This particular cavern is yet unexplored, so we'll see what fun Ramadabsam gets himself into as he trots around down there among the mushrooms.

[EDIT]: "Troglodytes" is the answer, lol. He ran into a pack of them, and they chased him all of the the cavern. Since he's technically "(tame)," the chase revealed all of the nooks and crannies of the cavern, so I know exactly what it's full of now (more troglodytes). They got tired of chasing him eventually, but he's still down there, and they say that if you listen carefully, you can hear his hoofbeats and whinnying deep in the caves...
 8)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:06:15 am by Fish »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 07:04:33 am »

release the horse so it explores the cavern. Let the giant cave spider run after it instead.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:30 am »

Get on my horse.
I'll take you round the universe,
and all the other places too.

... until the forgotten beasts arrive :)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 08:23:51 am »

I'm just laughing my head off here. This is comedy gold, like the plot of a Carry On film.

Carry On Mining! Expect double entendres about wood chopping and shaft digging.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:26:19 am by Mantonio »
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 09:58:16 am »

If there were GCS you'd be able to see them wandering around the map occasionally.

I don't have much experience with GCS, but i hear they are usually in stealth mode.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 10:13:55 am »

They were in 40d, but not anymore.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »

Awesome job there. I think I'd have tried to solve it by building a cavein  trap or something. Magma also works. I've had problems drowning horses before, they swim.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 04:40:30 pm »

I've had issues with animal trainers failing on a fairly normal caging operation. Wild horses->cage. apparently wild horses are one of the things that will always try to escape, so remember kids, tame them, THEN move them.

Or they'll smash in an animal trainer's lower spine and render him useless forever.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »

Wasn't there some bug regarding that once an animal has tasted dwarven blood, it can't be stopped even if tamed except by killing?
Current Fort: NatureRags
Pages: [1] 2