Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: If you could be a Titan/Megabeast/clown/monster who would you be?  (Read 2481 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you could be a Titan/Megabeast/clown/monster who would you be?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 03:11:17 am »

^Actually, that's 25 cubic meters, which is pretty freaking big for something on land.

Imagine a cubic fish tank a meter in all dimensions, which can store a metric ton of water. Then imagine 25 of those, and you have how much water (or magma) a dragon displaces when going under it.

Another way to think about it is about 357 times the size of an average human or about 417 times the size of an average dwarf, elf, or goblin. Or a comparison to something slightly smaller: a bronze colossus is about 286 times the size of a human, making it about six and a half times as tall, and that's just 4/5 the size of a fully grown dragon.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 12:11:48 pm »

Waitaminute, entity_default contains only civ information, and megabeasts are uncivilized.
What minimal text should I add there to make them playable?
Oh and I guess randomized creatures are unavailable at all, right?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 01:50:50 pm »

^Actually, that's 25 cubic meters, which is pretty freaking big for something on land.

Imagine a cubic fish tank a meter in all dimensions, which can store a metric ton of water. Then imagine 25 of those, and you have how much water (or magma) a dragon displaces when going under it.

Another way to think about it is about 357 times the size of an average human or about 417 times the size of an average dwarf, elf, or goblin. Or a comparison to something slightly smaller: a bronze colossus is about 286 times the size of a human, making it about six and a half times as tall, and that's just 4/5 the size of a fully grown dragon.

When you're good at maths people are amazed. When you're good at English, people tell you to stop being such a pedant and show more respect to dyslexics and foreigners.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 03:28:18 pm »

@Rowanas
That is because one of those is far more subjective than the other.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 05:07:40 pm »

Another way of looking at it is by weight.  Assuming that a dragon is neutrally buoyant (it's probably denser, so it will be heaver than what I calculate), 25,000,000 cm^3 = 25,000,000 g, which is 25 metric tons (which is about the same as 25 US tons).  This is about 4 times the weight of a large male African elephant.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 08:04:41 pm »

Another thing, if a dragon can melt a bronze collossus, how can a person stop it's dragonfire with a copper shield?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 08:21:51 pm »

Waitaminute, entity_default contains only civ information, and megabeasts are uncivilized.
What minimal text should I add there to make them playable?
Oh and I guess randomized creatures are unavailable at all, right?
The wiki can probably help you, but you're going to need to create your own creature, no-biome civilization, and possibly body parts, to get to play any of the randomly generated stuff. However, with megabeasts, it just involves making a civ for them, and making that civ always playable.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 [2]