Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building new computer, something horrible happened  (Read 1121 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Building new computer, something horrible happened
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:03:58 pm »

So, I have this new computer I just put together.  Everything was running fine, about to install drivers and such, when I plugged in a USB wireless adapter (I'm recycling my old hard drive, so the adapter was still installed and everything) to a front USB port

There was a noise that at first I thought was the adapter sliding in, and then I smelled burnt plastic.  I shut it off right away and I'm trying to figure out what could've gone wrong.  Is my motherboard toast now?  Can I just unplug the front USB ports and use the back?

The back ports are working, my keyboard/mouse were in there and running fine.

EDIT:  I unplugged those USB ports and it seems to be running fine.  I think I might have plugged it into the IEEE connector.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:01:39 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building new computer, something horrible happened
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:20:38 pm »

Well yes, putting a square peg in a round hole may cause problems. I assume from the way you phrased it that the front USBs are part of the case? Were they all hooked up correctly and stuff? And I'd be surprised if case USBs permanently damaged your MB, but apparently it's all good. One last thing, if you look into any of the case USBs or the IEEE you might have plugged it into, is there any evidence of such burning?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:23:37 pm »

No, there isn't, I'm thinking the smell was wire casing melting somewhere along the wire's length.

Anyway, the IEEE and USB connectors are identical on my motherboard, they should do something about that.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 05:39:18 pm »

I have the mobo diagram stapled to my chest for the first day of a new build.

There was a noise that at first I thought was the adapter sliding in, and then I smelled burnt plastic.

So you heard like a "chunk" or "click" then smelled burning plastic? Dunno what to tell you. I've never friend anything on install before. It's highly unlikely the wire casing melted somewhere on its length, those are quite heat tolerable to radiant heat.

If you want to be thorough, disassemble it and start again.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:40:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:05:19 am »

I have the mobo diagram stapled to my chest for the first day of a new build.

There was a noise that at first I thought was the adapter sliding in, and then I smelled burnt plastic.

So you heard like a "chunk" or "click" then smelled burning plastic? Dunno what to tell you. I've never friend anything on install before. It's highly unlikely the wire casing melted somewhere on its length, those are quite heat tolerable to radiant heat.

If you want to be thorough, disassemble it and start again.

By that I meant I heard a popping sound.  I wasn't sure what it was and didn't know what else it could be, although I remember thinking something along the lines of "Oh shit, that wasn't a good sound" when I heard it.
Shoes...

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 05:23:49 am »

Since the IEEE 6-pin provides the power, it might have just been the adapter that got fried and not the mobo.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:32:10 am »

A problem in the adaptater himself is likely.
Does the usb port himself still work?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:33:44 pm »

No, there isn't, I'm thinking the smell was wire casing melting somewhere along the wire's length.

Anyway, the IEEE and USB connectors are identical on my motherboard, they should do something about that.

holy... really? Yeah they definitely have to change that
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

durins_day

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »

Ive had similar things happen before. Once while I was playing Battlefield 2 I smelt the familiar smell of burning components. 'Hmmm, oh well" I thought. Since I didn't notice any drop in the game's frame rate and because I was doing so very well, I just kept playing. It turns out one of the three USB controller IC's had burnt itself up for reasons unknown.

Examine your motherboard really good under a bright light. Look for small black IC's, about 5mm x 5mm in size. These are your USB or IEEE controllers. You may find one of them burnt up. If so, no worries- most motherboards come with more than 1 USB / IEEE controller. If there was a more serious problem your PC would not work at all, or catch on fire when power is applied.